Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
That chick seems a bit stunned, not what I would consider anything approaching an enthusiast or even moderately
in-tune with vehicle nuances. Creative exercise, but get some more critical lab rats that have better feedback.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I do think the first half of the video was idiotic at best. They were constantly asking her leading questions, plus she was probably a Mazda staff seeing she was wearing Mazda attire. So would have known immediately that she was in an MDX once she could not find the gear shifter.

However, that second part was brutal. Truth is Acura did drop the ball on quality. Even I had to take my 2015 back a week after purchase as the rear passenger door was not aligned properly andwould not close unless you slammed it.
It's one thing to have one or two instances of badly assembled cars its another thing to have so many of them and having them pass through quality control from a "luxury" brand.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow that second part was just brutal. Is that an unusual exception or do current newer gen owners actually see these types of descrepancies in body panels, etc?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Wow that second part was just brutal. Is that an unusual exception or do current newer gen owners actually see these types of descrepancies in body panels, etc?
We pretty much all have these panel issues. Acura is not very good at aligning panels at all. The question is if it really bothers you. Some are worse than others obviously.

To sum it up: We bought an American designed and made car with Japanese internals.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We pretty much all have these panel issues. Acura is not very good at aligning panels at all. The question is if it really bothers you. Some are worse than others obviously.

To sum it up: We bought an American designed and made car with Japanese internals.
Are the QC issues due to a specific factory, or does it matter where Acura assembled it? Acura just opened a factory in Ohio for the NSX, so are we to expect that the NSX would have similar QC issues or because it's made in Ohio, it won't have those panel alignment issues? Didn't SuperTech mention that MDX assembly would be moved because of these QC issues? I just can't remember where it's being moved from and to where.

Mazda, with the exception of the Mazda3, manufactures their vehicles in Hiroshima, Japan. The CX-9 is probably one of a handful of vehicles still being made in Japan by a Japanese car manufacturer. Even the previous generation CX-9, with its Ford-derived engine, was made in Japan. The quality shows. My 2010 CX-9 GT has been trouble-free for the most part, only requiring regular maintenance. Interior and exterior panels are aligned and tight. I have yet to hear a squeak or rattle due to a loose panel. It's just unfortunate that Mazda doesn't sell more cars because they're really a joy to drive and quite reliable.

The new CX-9 test drive reviews are slowly trickling in. The new 4-cylinder turbo is deemed quite good at low rpms but quickly runs out of steam in the higher rev ranges. 0-60 unofficial times are in the high 7s which is almost 2 secs slower than the MDX. But, if the driver is not one who loves revving the engine at every chance, it just might be suitable. Once the engine tuners find a way to increase the horsepower output such that passing on a 2-lane highway does not require careful planning, I'll check it out coz I'm almost certain it'll be awesome to drive.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The chick is misleading to predictable answers... But the one that kicked me was when she opens the Mazda door going directly for the handle, if you were blindfolded correctly you will miss for sure.

The second part is inexcusable, Though for Acura´s defense those globs and welds are not supposed to be seen anyway. In any case the MDX still delivers 5 Start Safety Rating which all that matters for that welds and globs.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Are the QC issues due to a specific factory, or does it matter where Acura assembled it? Acura just opened a factory in Ohio for the NSX, so are we to expect that the NSX would have similar QC issues or because it's made in Ohio, it won't have those panel alignment issues? Didn't SuperTech mention that MDX assembly would be moved because of these QC issues? I just can't remember where it's being moved from and to where.

Mazda, with the exception of the Mazda3, manufactures their vehicles in Hiroshima, Japan. The CX-9 is probably one of a handful of vehicles still being made in Japan by a Japanese car manufacturer. Even the previous generation CX-9, with its Ford-derived engine, was made in Japan. The quality shows. My 2010 CX-9 GT has been trouble-free for the most part, only requiring regular maintenance. Interior and exterior panels are aligned and tight. I have yet to hear a squeak or rattle due to a loose panel. It's just unfortunate that Mazda doesn't sell more cars because they're really a joy to drive and quite reliable.

The new CX-9 test drive reviews are slowly trickling in. The new 4-cylinder turbo is deemed quite good at low rpms but quickly runs out of steam in the higher rev ranges. 0-60 unofficial times are in the high 7s which is almost 2 secs slower than the MDX. But, if the driver is not one who loves revving the engine at every chance, it just might be suitable. Once the engine tuners find a way to increase the horsepower output such that passing on a 2-lane highway does not require careful planning, I'll check it out coz I'm almost certain it'll be awesome to drive.
Being that the whole MDX line is being done at Alabama, we could certainly try to place blame on Alabama, but Acura/Honda engineering had a big hand in the development of the assembly process and tooling. In my opinion, the frequency of panel issues has a lot to do with just not engineering low tolerance for variance into their assembly. The workers on the line are just following procedure, so if you give them a lot of slack in the way they put something together, you're bound to get a lot of variance. I don't really know if an MDX really exists without panel issues. Add the fact that QC seems to be extremely lacking now, it's no wonder that we get the crap we're dealt. It's just no longer a Japanese car company in any sense of the old quality standards.

They are moving the production partially to Ohio though, and supposedly the Ohio factory produces products with much better results. It certainly would explain why the NSX is being done there.

If they had stuck a V6 in that CX-9, I would probably let go of my MDX. I just can't deal with anything less than 6 now though.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
^ Unless its a Turbo 4...
The CX9 has a 250hp 310lbtq engine... It lacks some HP but it makes up in torque compared to the MDX.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts

Very few internals, and not the ones that matter the most. Currently, the MDX is assembled in Alabama. Its engine also comes from the same Alabama plant. Its transmission comes from South Carolina (it used to come from, and soon will again come from Georgia).

But really, US...Japan...doesn't matter. Its more about the specific plant. And Lincoln, AL pretty much sucks for quality control.

Only the electronics come from Japan. The infotainment system comes from Alpine in Japan...but look how well that works.

I imagine the panel fit situation will get a lot better with the MDXs that will soon come out of Ohio.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
East Liberty, OH. They currently assemble the RDX. Panel fit and paint finish on the RDX is much better than the MDX currently.

The PMC in Marysville, OH will have quality control that should rival the original Japan factory. They only crank out a maximum of 8 cars a day. Matter of fact, VIN#001 rolls out tomorrow.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's a bang for your buck with the Mdx... And the quality that matters to me most is does the thing start and run well long term

Since I need three rows at the time the Mdx was the best in my price range

Now however we don't need three rows and the rx350 will be our next suv so long as they get rid of the techno robot styling

The Mazda needs more power ... Glad it has handsome welds because that's something I always think about when car shopping (eyeroll)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Will never buy a Mazda again. I had one as a cheap commuter car for a bit and the dealerships all had corrupt service departments. I tried 3, they all tried to rip me off, and I witnessed them attempt the same scams on other customers as well. It must be something they teach at the corporate level.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Mazda needs more power ... Glad it has handsome welds because that's something I always think about when car shopping (eyeroll)
The CX-9 will likely require more power, and engine tuners will probably come out with a software tune that increases the power, much like how most turbocharged engines are being tuned. Either that or Mazda "buys" an engine from a partner manufacturer like Toyota whom Mazda builds the Scion iA for. It has to fit their SkyActiv mantra, though.

Yes, I agree that "handsome" welds are not necessarily what buyers look at. However, it shows that the current Mazda build quality punches above its segment, and that Acura has room for improvement in that aspect. The Mazda of old, the days when Ford has a lot of influence in the manufacturing, is long gone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got 1:50 into the video before I couldn't continue - I get the premise of the video, but it's dumb to think anyone needs to learn their environment without looking. I know I'm the minority, because I test out things like ergonomics, button location etc well before buying a car and I'm an involved enough driver to have the muscle memory to know how to use my car's controls.

that said, I have a latest-gen Mazda 3 in the family and it's ergonomically the worst car i've sat in. quality of materials is crap compared to my mdx (and yes, thats not entirely a fair test, but it's a 'touring' trim, which is supposed to be 'up there').. still, wouldn't buy a mazda.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Simply purchasers get certain brand with certain expectations. When the purchased vehicle does meet or stay above that expectations folks
are not happy. Also they do compare old and new. New ones suppose to be better, not worse. If that trend continues of course folks will start
looking around for alternative choice. Consumers are not dumb. They don't buy vehicles based on how many bells and whistles it has. For
me it is performance, reliability, over all quality(body panels, interior fitment,etc.) In this day and age of global competition, "Good enough is just not good enough" It has to excel to beat competition.(engineering, marketing, service)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got 1:50 into the video before I couldn't continue - I get the premise of the video, but it's dumb to think anyone needs to learn their environment without looking. I know I'm the minority, because I test out things like ergonomics, button location etc well before buying a car and I'm an involved enough driver to have the muscle memory to know how to use my car's controls.

that said, I have a latest-gen Mazda 3 in the family and it's ergonomically the worst car i've sat in. quality of materials is crap compared to my mdx (and yes, thats not entirely a fair test, but it's a 'touring' trim, which is supposed to be 'up there').. still, wouldn't buy a mazda.
The second part of the video is actually what you need to watch. That first part was idiotic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts