Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U.N. troops buy sex
from teen refugees

Mothers as young as 13 need food for their babies

Posted: May 25, 2004
12:51 p.m. Eastern

United Nations peacekeeping troops are sexually exploiting teenage rape victims fleeing war in the Democratic Republic of Congo, according to an investigation by the The Independent newspaper of London.

Many of the girls, as young as 13, are mothers who give up their bodies to the U.N. soldiers in exchange for food to feed their hungry children.

The girls, who live in the Internally Displaced People camp in Bunia, northeastern Congo, already are victims of multiple rape by militiamen.

The British paper interviewed girls and aid workers who said every night girls crawl through a wire fence to an adjoining U.N. compound to sell their bodies to Moroccan and Uruguayan soldiers.

In exchange, they receive a banana or a cake.

The U.N. has pledged a "zero tolerance" attitude to cases of sexual misconduct by its respresentatives and has announced an inquiry into the allegations. But the London paper says doubts remain about the effectiveness of the probe and the ability of the U.N. to bring the perpetrators to justice.

A 13-year-old girl, Faela, told The Independent her infant son is the result of rape by militiamen in her village. Consequently, she is ostracized in the camp and has no one to take care of her.

"It is easy for us to get to the U.N. soldiers," she told the paper. "We climb through the fence when it is dark, sometimes once a night, sometimes more."

The Independent said it spoke to more than 30 girls over five days, and half said they made the journey under the fence to the compound run by MONUC, the U.N. mission in Congo.

A worker with the aid group that manages the camp, Atlas, said staff knew about the sex trade but were afraid to address it.

"There is nothing to stop them and the girls need food," he told the paper. "It is best to keep quiet, though. I am frightened that if I say something I may lose my job, and I have children of my own to feed."

The head of the U.N. in Bunia, Dominique McAdams, said she she saw no evidence of sexual violence in the camp, although she believe it was taking place.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
dvilla said:
Unfortunately GW is again embracing the UN. He is even depending on Mr. Brahimi, a UN representative, to form the transitional government in Iraq:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A55958-2004May25.html
The UN is a huge organization (almost an oxymoron). There are still valuable tasks being undertaken, The gathering of forensic evidence of genocide in Kosovo, Rwanda, Iraq, etc. in order to ensure successful prosecution of war cirminals is just one example.
To condemn the UN on whole based upon the political agendas of some members is unfair. Of course there are injustices that exist within the organization. No one would deny that for a second.
So you use the UN when they serve your purpose, and avoid them when they do not do so.
In the case of the continuing effort in Iraq, Bush has now chosen to use them, when he thinks it will add some legitimacy to his cause and help relieve our wary troops.
Approaching the UN initially, was Powell's intention. But what the hell does he know!
:D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hopefully, the UN members (specially the permanent members of the Security Council) are DUMB enough not to notice that they are just being used for convenience by the USA. Otherwise they might use their veto power to reject GW's recent proposal.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
dvilla said:
Hopefully, the UN members (specially the permanent members of the Security Council) are DUMB enough not to notice that they are just being used for convenience by the USA. Otherwise they might use their veto power to reject GW's recent proposal.
'Being used' ??? We just did their 'dirty' job and paid the price in $$$ as well as lives. They should be thankful !! Of course, they wouldn't be because like good liberals that they are, they would much rather bury their heads in the sand while the world goes to pot, much like in late 1930's and during Rwandan genocide.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is there no UN sex scandal headline like we have with the prison scandal for 3 weeks now?

The media wouldn't be protecting the UN would they?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
keremoner said:

'Being used' ??? We just did their 'dirty' job and paid the price in $$$ as well as lives. They should be thankful !! Of course, they wouldn't be because like good liberals that they are, they would much rather bury their heads in the sand while the world goes to pot, much like in late 1930's and during Rwandan genocide.
Sex scandals are why the Okinawans want the US out of Japan. US soldiers spent so much money in the Philipines on prostitutes that they were keeping the areas around the military bases afloat 20 years ago.

I guess the soldiers of a country can do no wrong until they are part of a UN-sponsored peacekeeping mission. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Have you suffered from paranoia for long? There are some great drugs on the market now that could help you with that...

hhwc said:
Why is there no UN sex scandal headline like we have with the prison scandal for 3 weeks now?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

It's a valid question, though. If these were US troops, do you really think it wouldn't get mentioned in the international (or American) media? It'd be front page news!

So, we shouldn't judge the UN by the conduct of some of its troops, but we should sing Mea Culpa because of the actions of a small number of our own? I don't hear anyone calling for Kofi Annan's resignation over this!

What a small number of our troops did was bad, no doubt, but isn't there a slight double standard here?

Just because we're imperfect doesn't mean that the UN is... our troops in Korea have sometimes done bad things, as well, but that doesn't make it OK for the UN to do them, too, especially since they're so often critical of us!

What is up with this assumption that the UN is automatically so much more moral or representative of anything than we are? :3: Most of it is run by dictators and thieves!

Think about it: in the General Assembly, every country is represented equally... so that means democracy right? Wrong. Most of those countries are run by dictators, meaning that there is NO semblance of them representing their people... just the interests of totalitarian regimes.

And any one of them can be put on the Security Council.

I find it a little scary to think that we should consider them the moral police of the world... I don't want the actions of my military (the children of our nation) controlled by the leaders of other countries, no matter who they are. It that makes me an American pig, so be it.

Again, we're not perfect, but just because we're not doesn't make it OK for them to be bad, too.

There's pretty good evidence that they're worse, if only for the reasons that HHWC mentioned... we get dragged all over the international media every time we screw up... they don't.

But I guess I'm just paranoid, too! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Why is there no UN sex scandal headline like we have with the prison scandal for 3 weeks now?"

The question is where is the UN oil for food "scandal headline like we have with the prison scandal for 3 weeks now?"

·
Registered
452 Posts
Listening to GW and his officials, I'm hearing the word 'UN' coming out of their mouth more often. And they are saying nice words about the organization these days.
If the US 'somehow' hates the UN then why oh! why do we keep them in NY. Many of the ambassadors are ignoring/not paying the parking tickets issued to them.
'You can't have your cake and eat it too!!'

·
Registered
836 Posts
hhwc said:

Your [continuing and on-going] point on media bias is actually not without merit. There has always been bias. Listen to NPR or PRI and you hear a distinctly liberal bias. Listen to Fox News and it's very blatantly conservative. (I'm not including Rush,Hannity, et al because that is not news... it's purely opinion and they are most definitely entitled to theirs.)

I am curious though as to what motivation "the media" would have in "protecting the UN?" I don't follow your train of thought on this one. Is everbody in media getting a big fat check from the UN? In NYC, most people in the media hate when the UN folks park all over the place illegally and don't pay tickets. I definitely don't see any support there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts