Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outside is 10F and I turned the heat on to 80F inside the car and the damn stupid A/C compressor kept clicking every now and then. At the the traffic light I could feel my car vibration sensation when the compressor turned on and felt like sitting inside my 1995 Honda Civic with the A/C on. I am trying to locate a relay or fuse to disable this compressor for the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
My TSX, RDX, and MDX does the same thing if you set the system to Auto mode. You just have to set the system to manual mode and then you can turn off the A/C compressor from the center console if you don't need it on. I just leave it in Auto mode even in the below freezing morning to help defog the inside widows if they start to fog up before the MDX heats up.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My TSX, RDX, and MDX does the same thing if you set the system to Auto mode. You just have to set the system to manual mode and then you can turn off the A/C compressor from the center console if you don't need it on. I just leave it in Auto mode even in the below freezing morning to help defog the inside widows if they start to fog up before the MDX heats up.

Thank! That is good to know. I was thinking does this thing trying to switch AC and heater back and forth.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Many cars with automatic climate control will continue to cycle the A/C compressor even when you have "heat" selected. This is because the A/C will remove humidity from the cabin.

Reactions: J-Spec DJS

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The reason it keeps clicking is because the Compressor helps the car stay Hot but Humid free.

When you run the HEAT the coolant from the block of the engine gets routed to the Heat exchanger inside the car, This will slowly but surely make it cool down. The compressor then kicks in order to keep a load on the engine. This will make sure the engine stays at the required temperature while you enjoy Hot Air also Part of the air gets routed into the evaporator side so the car wont fog inside.

There are a couple of cool things too about our "Dumb" A/C... One of them is If you wide open throttle in any scenario the A/C Disengages to allow full power.

Reactions: J-Spec DJS

·
Registered
252 Posts
I simply hit the AC button when the system is in auto mode and the screen shows "ac off". The temp is still on auto so it maintains whatever temp I set, but the compressor does not cycle. BTW, this feature is described in the manual for my 2013, so it may be there in yours, too.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I simply hit the AC button when the system is in auto mode and the screen shows "ac off". The temp is still on auto so it maintains whatever temp I set, but the compressor does not cycle. BTW, this feature is described in the manual for my 2013, so it may be there in yours, too.

Ok. Looks like a 2 steps process to turn off the AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I the good ole days of R12 A/C systems, it was recommended to run the A/C system a few times during the winter months. Running the system helped kept the O-ring lubricated since the R12 also contained oil. I don't know that is still true for the R-134a system today?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I the good ole days of R12 A/C systems, it was recommended to run the A/C system a few times during the winter months. Running the system helped kept the O-ring lubricated since the R12 also contained oil. I don't know that is still true for the R-134a system today?
Yes, HFC134a has polyalkylene glycol -- PAG for short -- in it to lubricate the A/C system.

Reactions: mrgold35

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Air "conditioning" is not just for producing cold air. It's removes humidity all year long and does not impact the ability to heat the cabin. As others mentioned, it also helps keep the system properly lubricated and reduces failures/leaks.

I'm not aware of any auto-climate control system system that doesn't run the A/C as needed when in auto mode, so it's hardly a "dumb" Acura thing. If the car is vibrating that bad when the A/C cycles you have other issues somewhere. I can hear the A/C cycle in my MDX but can not feel it anywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts