Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Third row and baby seats

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  botlerocketwar 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2004 MDX. I want to install a baby seat in the third row, but I have not had any luck getting one to fit. The problem is that the third row seatbelts are anchored in front of the back of the third row seat. This makes it impossible to tightly secure my baby seat.

The MDX manual has been of no help. It says install a baby seat the same way in the third row as you would for the second row, this is simply wrong, because the seatbelts are not anchored the same way. I called the Acura techline from my dealer and they were useless. They suggested I contact the Department of Transportation.

I am guessing there are people out there who use the third row with baby seats. Mine is a front facing booster seat with a five point harness. I'm using the teather and it secures the top of the seat, but the bottom has a great deal of sided to side and front to back movement.

If there is anyone who has successfully installed a baby seat in the third row, please tell me how you did it, and what brand/model of seat you are using. I do not mind buying a new baby seat, I just want to make sure that it fits properly in the MDX.

#2 ·
I was told that I couldn't install a baby seat in the third row by my dealer when I was still researching the matter. I was fine with that. Won't put kids into the third row until they are older.

#3 ·
Have you tried a locking clip, so secure the seat belt. Also, try completely pulling the seat belt to it's fully unretractable possition. Then placing it through the seat back and locking it into the lock. Tighten it fully, with a knee in the seat for added pressure. Allow the seat belt to retract and it should lock the seat belt into place. I had a similiar problem in my Volvo (not Acura) and I bought a new car seat. The Britax seats have their own locking clip installed on them and makes installation a breeze. Also, believe it or not, different seats don't work in different cars as well. I had that problem when we traded in my Volvo V70XC for my MDX. The seats (Graco Eddie Bauer Booster Seats) I couldn't get to properly install in any row of my MDX. I went out and bought two completely new seats for my MDX. I now have a Graco Turbo Booster for my 5 YO, no problems, since it's a belt positioning booster. I bought my 2 YO the Britax marathon, and I 've had no problems installing it. Now, it is in the second row, and installed with LATCH so that made it a super easy install. Also, I'm confused as to where you say the seat belts attach to the third row. I have a 2003, so it's possible that they changed it, but my seat belts "click" on both sides of the 3rd row seats, so I can't see how it could be a problem, except with the seat belt not "locking" as I mentioned above.

Also wanted to add: That I was told by my dealer that it wouldn't be a problem installing a car seat in the 3rd row, and can not see how it would be difficult.

#5 ·
I've tried pulling the seatbelt all the way out to activate the locking mechanism. The seatbelt locks properly, however, due to the seatbelt position I am unable to make the baby seat tight in the seat. Here is a diagram of the problem.

A standard seatbelt is attached to the car at the fold in the seat, or slightly behind the fold in the seat. Imagine looking down at the seat through the roof to see this:

your feet
are here
_________
/ your waist \ <--The lines are the seatbelt
| goes here |
* * <--The * is where the belt is attached to the car
############# <--This is the back of the seat

In the third row on an 04 MDX (maybe others too) the seatbelts are anchored in front of the fold in the seat. Like this for the passenger side third row seat:

your feet
are here
_________
/ your waist * <--Note the forward anchor point
| goes here
############# <--This is the back of the seat

The forward anchored seatbelt causes the baby seat to be attached on a diagonal instead of a U. This makes the seat unstable and easily moved even with the seatbelt locked and as tight as it can go.

The owner manual states that a baby seat can be used in the third row, and a tether attachment is built in for both sides, but the tether only secures the top of the baby seat. I've been unable to stop the bottom from moving around.

I am frustrated the Acura techline was unable to provide any assistance. I hope that they actually tested a baby seat in the third row since they claim (in the manual) that the vehicle supports it.

Please let me know if anyone is using a baby seat in the third row successfully without a great deal of movement at the bottom of the seat. I know the current set-up will not pass inspection at the local police department. (The everyday position is to have the baby seat in the second row with LATCH, but when we have family in town we want to all take one car. That is the primary reason we bought the MDX.)

#9 ·
How about taking it down to the local fire house. Those guys are usually more than happy to show you how to install the seat. If you can get them to look past the second row, maybe they would be willing to help you figure out the third row set up. Just a thought.

#11 ·
I actually used the baby seat in the 3rd row this weekend. Turns our that 6 of us piled in to go to a local pumpkin patch. Didn't think I would do this so quickly, but we did. 5 adults and the baby. Decided to put the baby seat in the back row. I think I got the seat in correctly. Used the seat belt to strap the car seat to the seat and then used the teather strap to stabilize the seat in the rear. It seemed pretty sturdy and the patch was close by. If I didn't do it right, then I guess I took a chance, which isn't a good thing, but it seemed to work out. I have since moved the seat back to the 2nd row since I don't expect to be carting around 3 grandparents anytime soon!

#12 ·
sdemme said:
Ooops, it took out the spacing in the last post, so, I'm reposting with an image to help explain the problem with the seatbelt anchors.

My BMW was like that. I had to use LATCH straps to secure it. The only problem is that acura only puts LATCH by both rear doors (I thought that was lame, but they're trying to save some money). With the teather you might be ok. I believe (please don't quote me) that what you need to be worried about is how far the top of the car seat will move foward. If it doesn't move much, then I think everything will be ok. But I do suggest calling your local fire dept, and scheduling an appt to have them install it for you. Our local fire dept will take appts year around, you don't need for them to have a clinic.

hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.