Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

In my earlier thread, I was trying to find out if my dealer's extended warranty was extremely high for my new MDX (to arrive soon). The answer is "yes".

I am thinking of getting the extended warranty through the Internet, such as the "acurawarranty.com". The dealer told me that this was not backed by the original Acura service.

I would like to learn here how the third party extended warranty works, especially the "acurawarranty.com". If I buy the extended warranty from them, how will I get the car fixed? Do I still go back to a Acura dealer to fix the car, and the dealer will get the payment from "acurawarranty.com"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
763 Posts
SUVMOM. www.acurawarranty.com, TO MY BEST KNOWLEDGE, is an arm of one of NJ Acura dealerships. I inquired with them a few weeks ago and the guy actually contacted me with the quote. He assured me that the warranty is true AcuraCare - the same your crook-dealer wants to sell you. Moreover, on that website, once you put your email and stuff (new, they did not require that before. You can always put "dummy" info if you'd like) you can actually read the full contract, what it covers, etc.

Send me an email and I will forward his email w/quotes to you ASAP.

What I did notice is that their price went up by about $100 from last year.

Also, remember, you really have time to buy it. It does NOT have to be at the time of MDX purchase.

You can tell your lying POS dealer to go to hell. That's what I told mine when he told me that $2200 for 7/100 is "their" price and they cannot discount it w/o a loss. :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VIP9,

Thanks for your input. I have the same feeling as you with my dealer.

I did get a quote through their website, and I liked it.

My concern is how I get repair work done when I need it after the original warranty expires. Will my dealer do the repair and how they will get the payment, etc?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Third party warranties are more like other forms of traditional insurance than a manufacturers extended warranty. Many third party warranty providers have gone out of business over the years leaving their customers SOL. Also, I've heard a lot about disputed claims and dealers making the customer pay up front and wait for reimbursement. You'll most likely do better with Acura than a third party if you ever have to file a major claim. Just something to thing about when comparing prices.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hey, Mom, do a search of this site for "extended mainenanence" and "extended warranty".....there has been a ton of stuff discussed on this topic (some even from me) that will help you make the decision that's right for you.

Net, net, for me there is no compelling reason to fork over $1500+ in advance of the mfg's warranty expiration .

·
Registered
206 Posts
I remember when I bought my extended warranty from the dealer, they told me I could wait to buy it, but that the price goes up as time passes because its based on labor rates, which go up.

I do know that most dealers will discount the warranty, as mine did and others on this site had.

I bought my warranty because I have bad luck (the engine went out on my Ford Windstar one month after the warranty expried). It turns out that the main seal on my MDX went out two days after I first got it, and they had to drop the engine to fix it. This is covered under the original warranty, but it shows that my luck is holding. I rather pay for the warranty and not need it, then to not pay for it and need it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SUVMOM said:
VIP9,

Thanks for your input. I have the same feeling as you with my dealer.

I did get a quote through their website, and I liked it.

My concern is how I get repair work done when I need it after the original warranty expires. Will my dealer do the repair and how they will get the payment, etc?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
SUVMOM

I bought my extended warranty from acurawarranty.com and it is genuine Acuracare as it is administered by American Honda Finance Corp. The Service Contract I received states you take it to your dealer and you pay the deductible if your policy has one. I opted for the 7 yr/100k $50 deductible policy. If you have to have a repair done at other than the dealer due to an emergency or non-availability of a dealer if you breakdown, then you have to call the the 1-800 number to get a authorization prior to the repair.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Extended Warranty

We just picked up our MDX today and had not even thought about the extended warranty because we never buy them, BUT we did end up getting the extended 7/100 dealer warranty because of the no deductable FULL TLC extended coverages, like the roadside assistance, concierge service, and the free loaner car. I feel there are a lot of "gadgets" and electronics on this vehicle so I'd rather be covered. My dealer discounted the price quite a bit from what I've seen posted here, but I know they are still making money off it. Lets face it it's an insurance policy and you pay for insurance, they wouldn't sell them if they didn't make money on them, but it's definately worth it to me.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty

IXLR8 said:
My dealer discounted the price quite a bit from what I've seen posted here....
IXLR8, if you do not mind,

How much did you wind up paying? Is it AcuraCare? 7/100 - $50 or no deductible?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Re: Extended Warranty

vip9 said:

IXLR8, if you do not mind,

How much did you wind up paying? Is it AcuraCare? 7/100 - $50 or no deductible?

Thanks.
Hi,
We paid $1870 to extend it to the 7/100 AcuraCare with NO deductable. I'm not sure how that compares to what other's have paid but we thought it was an OK price. I would love to hear from the rest of you as to what you have paid just for comparison? Given what some other companies charge and the exclusions they have in the fine print of their contracts plus their deductable I really think the Acura warranty is the way to go. Plus here's the part I think is cool, we can change our mind and cancel at any time and they will refund the balance of it. And of course it is transferable which I think would be a bonus should we decide to sell it before the end of the term but I seriously doubt that will happen! Did I mention that I LOVE this vehicle? :D

·
Registered
763 Posts
Acurawarranty's quote for 7/100/$0 is $1750.

Discount or not, it all comes down to whether you are comfortable with the price or not.

Disclaimer: I am not a representative nor even a customer of acurawarranty. I think they really have to consider paying me commission :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
vip9 said:
Acurawarranty's quote for 7/100/$0 is $1750.

Discount or not, it all comes down to whether you are comfortable with the price or not.

Disclaimer: I am not a representative nor even a customer of acurawarranty. I think they really have to consider paying me commission :D
LOL I'm not really "comfortable" paying $1870 for an extra warranty, in fact the more I read here the less comfortable I am with it. But if I am going to fork over that kind of money for a warranty I want to be able to go back to the dealer and talk to a person face to face should there ever be a problem or should they try to deny any type of coverage. I guess getting this extended warranty it's a crap shoot and I am just not a gambler so I will probably never be comfortable with my decission, unless something major happens and the warranty pays for itself. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Direct link

Acura MDX 24 Month Warranty Pricing

Coverage Enrollment Charge

5 Year / 60,000 Miles $690
5 Year / 75,000 Miles $830
5 Year / 100,000 Miles $1,015
6 Year / 75,000 Miles $940
6 Year / 100,000 Miles $1,200
7 Year / 75,000 Miles $1,030
7 Year / 100,000 Miles $1,525

Prices are based on a $50.00 deductible
for a $0 (zero) deductible only an additional $175.
7 Year / 100,000 miles $0 (zero) deductible only an additional $225.
$1200 for the 6/100 was the price that Bell Acura (Phoenix) offered me when picking up the car in June.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
burnsy
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing