Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 MDX that I am considering trading in for a used, low mileage third generation. Any thoughts on best years to look at? I know 2014 had a few issues, then heard that 2016 had the new 9 speed tranny and I'm not sure if there were any problems there.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you NEED something now, then I'd say 2017/2018, as they've done a good job sorting out the 9 speed transmission and these models have better safety tech. If you really want the 6 speed, then go with a 2015.

If you don't NEED something now, and can wait 2-4 years, then I'd stick it out for a 4th gen MDX.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I actually think the 2016 is the sweet spot. You get the slightly smaller size of the 2014-15 with the same safety tech as in the 17s. Just make sure you get the tranny software programmed with the same version used in the '17s by the dealer. It'll also be quite a bit cheaper than a 17.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Also depends if you want the Acurawatch safety tech (ACC, CMBS, BSI, LDW, LKAS, etc...). I think it became standard on all models after the +17 model year compared to being an option on 16 MDX models or only getting the full version on the Advance versions of the 14/15 MDXs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd also like to add if you can afford to get the advance w/ res package especially if you've got little ones! Movie sound is not far from THX. and you'll get the best audio sound with an auxiliary cord vs. Bluetooth the ELS stereo system is pretty solid. But don't expect Mark Levingston sound quality

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2017 Tech and I am certain they have not worked out the ZF-9. Yes, it is better than it was, but not what one would expect out of an Acura. My guess is that it is on it's way out for, amongst other things, providing a less than smooth driving experience. One only need google the issue and take note of the model years of the owners with issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following this thread. I previously had a 2004 that, unfortunately, had the transmission die around 140K miles. Then experienced the welding issues with the fire wall in the front. After driving a Honda for a few years, I am considering giving the MDX 3rd gen a try with a 2014 MDX with the Advanced Package.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Upgraded from 2009 tech package to 2015 Advance a month ago. IMHO it is the best of the 3rd generation.
2015 MDX Advance or +18 sport hybrid sh-awd MDX are my top two choices if I wanted upgrade.

·
Registered
727 Posts
2015 MDX Advance or +18 sport hybrid sh-awd MDX are my top two choices if I wanted upgrade.
Agree on the 15, I want no part of that 9 speed....if you never have to tow, the Hybrid would be a nice, albeit pricey, choice.

I have looked at bit at trading up...my problem is, my 11 is so very nice...and most of the newer vehicles have no roof racks or hitch and wiring set up....

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Agree on the 15, I want no part of that 9 speed....if you never have to tow, the Hybrid would be a nice, albeit pricey, choice.

I have looked at bit at trading up...my problem is, my 11 is so very nice...and most of the newer vehicles have no roof racks or hitch and wiring set up....
I like the 15 MDX Adv because of the 6AT, Acurawatch, and standard Entertainment system (with sh-awd). It is just a lot bang for the buck and prices for this vehicle can save you a ton of $$$ compared to the features, luxury, and handling of a newer MDX.

I like the sh-sh-awd because of the 27 mpgs combined, sport+ mode, electronic damper system, 7DCT, and sh-awd on hard corners with or without engine power. The sh-sh-awd MDX reminds me of the preformance of my 08 RDX with Hondata+ETS intercooler+Eibach lowering springs+progress RSB

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually think the 2016 is the sweet spot. You get the slightly smaller size of the 2014-15 with the same safety tech as in the 17s. Just make sure you get the tranny software programmed with the same version used in the '17s by the dealer. It'll also be quite a bit cheaper than a 17.
Would there be a charge to get the tranny software programmed with the same version used in the '17s by the dealer? Or is that covered under warranty or recall?

·
Registered
92 Posts
We have a '14 AWD Tech and love it. ~57K miles. No problems during our ownership. We specifically avoided the Advance package b/c we did not want a TV in the car. Kids have plenty of portable gadgets to watch/listen to if need be.

We love this thing so much that if anything happened to it we'd go out and buy another one. I haven't changed anything but I did add the OEM trailer hitch and mudflaps.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do have a love / hate relationship with mine. I love everything about it, except I hate everything about the infotainment and the HVAC controls. Literally every other part of the car, the handling, the driving dynamics, the cornering stability, the hvac linked 2 way remote start, the comfortable seats. The car rocks. The infotainment sucks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.