Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought that the "X" was a great car and something that I will be happy with for a long time to come. However, after reading many of the recent threads related to overall customer satisfaction with Acura Service as well as all of the mechanical issues presented .... I'm quite hesitant and starting to ask myself if this is really worth it (both financially as well as headache-wise)

:confused: :confused: :confused: Any thoughts??:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Interesting, I went through some of the same thoughts. However, since my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 37,000 miles had been in the shop 11 times since January, I decided everything is relative.

While I can't vouch for long time satisfaction or service (since I haven't had Acura service yet), the way I look at it is that it's got to be significantly better than Jeep. After owning 3 Jeeps, I will never, ever, own another.

Join us, get the MDX!
:7:

·
Registered
594 Posts
The exception gets posted

I understand your concern, but one thing to keep in mind with message boards is that they are skewed. What I mean is that you will never see a thread title that says "18 months, no problems, always had good service."

The problems are what gets posted. Also, the people on owner forums like this are typically more, well, picky about their cars.

I think that if you polled the entire MDX owner base, you would find that the norm is average to above average purchase experience and ongoing support, as well as a very limited number of real quality problems.

Just something to consider...... any auto message board you go to will include a laundry list of mechanical malfunctions and occasional rude service.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There are 4,154 members on this forum. Of that number, I can only recall 3 or 4 truly dissatisfied MDX owners. As with ANY product there are bound to manufacturing problems particular to any individual units. The percentage here seems to be very small and I would say that satisfied MDX owners outnumber unsatisfied by a very wide margin. The old saying...it only takes one screwup to equal 25 ataboys! Customer service is closely alligned with the dealership, and while I found the sales people at the dealership I bought from to be total jerks, I have found the service department to be the exact opposite...very accomodating, helpfull and not unreasonably priced.
I absolutely love my MDX, far more than any car I have previously owned (including Volvos, Hondas, BMWs) and I am looking forward to many years of driving enjoyment in the "X".
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also began to doubt my decision when I read some of the problem posts. Such as the blown engine and poor customer service. However, I had a major mechanical problem with a 3 week old Audi. Also, I had very poor customer service when I called Lexus directly about a problem with the RX 300 and it was only 2 months old. So, I think the bottom line is cross your fingers that your car from any company isn't on the assembly line late on a Friday afternoon and you don't call for customer service when somebody is having a bad day.;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well, Yaron, SOME of my overall ownership experience added a grain of salt to what was supposed to be sweet and worry-free times.

I guess my expectations were way too high. I thought that spending close to $40K on what is billed as a "LUXURY" brand should magically turn into paradise... :(

It all started fast:

After being jerked around by Paragon (thankfully, only on the phone and email, never wasted my time to go there), my experience at Acura of Brooklyn was simply SUPERB in comparison with many other early buyers.

Then, inevitable 1st MY problems started. WHY INEVITABLE??? SHOULDN'T $40k HAVE ELIMINATED THAT?? I was one of the first people at least on this board to experience/report THUD. After getting a runaround for 7 months!!!! and at least half-a-dozen trips to a delaer, it was finally fixed. My personal experience with Acura Customer Service during those times was also nothing to right home about re:LUXURY. :(

All that said, is there any guarantee that I'd be much happier with RX or ML or Q45 or X5 ???? Each one of those cars has as many TSBs/recalls as MDX, if not more (much more for ML and X5, as I hear) Customer service is a very relative term. A few of my friends were snubbed at a Brooklyn Lexus dealer virtually the same way I got treated at AoB...

Maybe, if I spent $250K on a RollsRoyce?... :confused:

IMO, MDX is a great car. If you just keep your expectations in line with BUYING A CAR, and not luxury digs in Plaza, you should be fine and will enjoy it for quite some time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
7 Months, No Worries

I've been very happy with the MDX, including the mechanical reliability and service from my Acura dealership. It was in the shop for one warranty repair: the latch to the cupholder was releasing when I hit a good bump.

I'd heartily recommend it to anyone. This is especially true for 2002 and later, since some of the 'normal' bugs appeared in the first model year.

If the perception that Honda service is better, then perhaps the Pilot is a better choice for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reply to all the responses!!

I just feel that perhaps I should hold off and wait on an SUV until the MDX is a bit older (maybe a year or two) and these concerns/issues will be worked out by then. I agree that in the first 2 years of production many glitches arise and due to demand ..... unable to be fixed. I am considering therefore perhaps getting an Acura TL-S now and postponing the SUV purchase for a year.

I think that, that is the safest bet.

Please respond and let me know what you all think of that (ie. the two year glitch removal thought)

-Yaron-

·
Registered
763 Posts
ML is in its 6th (?) year and the hype is long since gone. Yet, it is still subpar. There will never be THE PERFECT CAR!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well. Yaron, I think that this is a personal decision. Cars are complicated and they all, no matter how expensive, have glitches. What I've observed in my MDX and on this board does not lead me to think that the MDX is particularly problemmatic. But, if you get one, and something goes wrong, it sounds like you will have major regrets. So, for you, maybe it's best to skip it. I would just keep in mind that this board is populated by very devoted people who want to share information, and it may lead to being overly focused on problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Bottom Line.....

...Just do it! You will love it.

Don't let any apprehensions you have diminish the joy of delivery or ownership. They will all vaporize when you slide your butt in the seat and the key into the ignition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can't go wrong with the TL-S!

It was our purchase of one in April that spurred on my desire for an MDX in the first place! Wth a major redesign looming on the horizon (that I didn't find very attractive), you will certainly find more negotiable "wiggle room" than you will with an MDX...

As for me, I'm waiting. Fall will bring:

2003 MDX (will they add Sagebrush Pearl?)
2003 Lincoln Aviator (with the late availability nav + telematics)
2003 Lexus GX 470 (need to check out that 3rd row)
2003 Toyota Sequoia (waiting to see if they add nav)
and I forgot what else looked good to me!

·
Registered
19 Posts
GX470 3rd row

We just came back from a lexus dealer. The GX470 will be the same as LX470 as far as the 3rd row is concerned because it's also frame based. There is no downward leg room, zero! It's basically a chair cushion sitting on a flat floor.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is a bummer.

At the car show last year, I made my son climb into the 3rd row seats of any car I was even remotely interested in. The Land Cruiser/LX470 twins were some of the worst out there!

Now that manufacturers have figured out how to do a good "fold flat" or "magic" seat, having to put up with rear seats like that makes no sense unless you have something with the sheer interior volume of a Suburban.

No matter for Lexus - people will flock to the dealers to buy them anyway just for the priviledge of having that little L (probably gold plated, too!) on their hood.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Root of your decision

If you have doubts about the 'X, then you really have to revisit your decision to buy in the first place. A 'X and TL are not interchangeable - completely different vehicles for completely different needs. If you're in the market for a car, you're on the wrong site, there are plenty of cars that will outperform the 'X - however if you are truly looking for a SUV, then you're in the right place. Don't get caught up in all the hype and hoopla, do your own research and due diligence. Everyone has an opinion and everyone will have their own angle or preference, but YOU are the one that has to throw down the 40m+ and you are the one that has to live with that decision. Check out the site for threads that compare the 'X with other SUVs in the same class. Once YOU decide that the 'X is the right one for YOU, then there are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful folks on this site that can assist you.:cool: :2: :cool:

Just MHO and $.02 . . .

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Can't go wrong with the TL-S!

DFDesigns said:
As for me, I'm waiting. Fall will bring:

2003 MDX (will they add Sagebrush Pearl?)
2003 Lincoln Aviator (with the late availability nav + telematics)
2003 Lexus GX 470 (need to check out that 3rd row)
2003 Toyota Sequoia (waiting to see if they add nav)
and I forgot what else looked good to me!
Don't forget the Volvo XC90, which also seats 7/8.

As to the X, I'm happy thus far. In terms of utility vs. the TL-S you can't compare. But if the only reason to move to a TL-S is because of Acura service/reliability issues, I don't think it will be much improved with the TL-S. If it's an SUV you want, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
First buy a Chevy or a Ford SUV. :8: You will learn to hate it so much that the normally minor problems that a MDX might have will pale by comparison, and then you'll kick yourself for not buying when you first had the chance! :28:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well now that's not completely true....

My 1997 Expedition has given me not one single complaint. It sees daily (all-boy) carpool duty, pulls our ski boat and my husband's classic Mustang (68 Shelby GT350 - with tandem axle trailer) with little effort. For the way I spec'd out the engine and gearing, it gets respectable mileage (and on regular unleaded!). I always seem to have enough room for the whole family, all our cargo and still have enough engine to tow whatever we want.

Sounds perfect! So why am I not getting another one? :confused:

I can't live with a parchment/saddle interior, which is the sole choice if you want the Eddie Bauer trim level. My current EB was offered in both parchment and a medium gray, which has been great. Dang you, Ford!

I truly wouldn't have even considered an MDX until my hubby got the TL-S. I really, really like driving that car. But I try to have an open mind where cars are concerned, and want to see the best aspects of them all. I can say that right now there is not a single car on the market that would perfectly meet my idealistic needs. (And with half a gazillion SUVs out there, that's pretty pathetic on my part!)

So who know what Fall will bring and see parked in my garage. There's sure a lot of new vehicles coming out, and I for one can't wait!

:D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts