Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I both do not care for the stock Tech package wheels on our 08 MDX.
Looks like this one Acura MDX 2007 18" Wheel Rim 71759
Getting to need new tires and the cost of 18" tires vs 20" is almost the same, so thinking we don't like those wheels at all, maybe we'll go aftermarket.
Is that website accurate that stock offset is 45mm? 35mm should be okay, right? Do I need to test-fit the wheels first? Some cars I've had, even if size and offset are correct, design of the wheel interferes with caliper bracket. I haven't been able to find any posts referencing caliper clearance, so is that not a problem on the MDX?
What to do about TPMS? Can sensors be removed and transferred to aftermarket wheels, or do I need to buy new TPMS sensors?
I'd be buying hubcentric rings. In the past, I always did my own tire rotation so having extra things like hub rings or spacers was never an issue. I've gotten to the point where I'll just let a shop deal with it. Is it ever a problem with shops losing those rings?
Do I need to switch to narrow-wall lug nuts, or can I reuse the stock ones? Reason being the stock lug nuts look very beefy in person, while photos of aftermarket wheels the lug nut holes look very small.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I went with RonJon Wheels for my MDX and RDX: RonJon Sport Design

They are dedicated to Honda and Acura vehicles and have aftermarket rims in 18", 19" & 20" sizes. I went with 18" Legacy in gun metal for the RDX and 20" Legacy Type II black with chrome trim for my MDX. RonJon can customize the rims in almost any color or trim. You don't have to worry about offsets, hub rings, or OEM TPMS with RonJon. Transfer OEM TPMS, mount tire, balance (or road force balace), and go. I also ordered the spline lug nuts with wall socket key from RonJon for the rims. I also ordered Gorilla Automotive 61641 Acorn Gorilla Guard Locks (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size MDX size) - Set of 4, $16, Amazon, for extra protection.

The only issue I've had was the OEM Acura lugs compared to the RonJon lugs. Acura uses ball (45 degree rounded) type lug for OEM rims and Ronjon uses a Cone (60 degree taper) seat type lug for their aftermarket rims. They almost look the same at first glance; BUT, the two are not interchangeable. I use my OEM rims as a full size spare for my RDX and MDX. I keep a set of OEM lugs if I ever have to use the spare. I'm not 100% sure; but, I think this would also be the case if you use your donut spare+aftermarket rims (keep a set of OEM lugs in the MDX just in-case).

Reactions: GnatGoSplat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very useful info, thanks! I didn't know about the ball vs conical seat. I do know most aftermarket wheels have conical seat, so looks like new lug nuts would be a must.
Is it easy to transfer TPMS into aftermarket wheels other than RonJon? Those RonJons look great, but I was looking to get something less than half that price (I'm guesstimating cost of RonJons before tires at around $2k/set). Mostly eyeing the CV3 lookalikes.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I think the Tire Rack has a section where you can pick your ride and vehicle color and see what the different rims would look like in profile.

I took everything down to Discount Tires and they X-fer the TPMS over and they had zero problems switching them. I think TPMS is pretty much the standard for most rims; but, there are a ton of different types of TPMS sensors and you might have to double-check the Honda/Acura type are compatible with the rims you decide upon. When it was all said and done, it was about $1800 for the rims (rims, chrome trim, clear coat, RonJon security lugs+key, shipping). Then another $900 for 20" Conti DWS tires to mount, road force balance, and road hazard warranty. I also did an alignment at Firestone afterwards (have free lifetime with them).

Another issue I've had was tire selection gets very limited in the 20" range compared to the 18" and 19" sizes (this was 2 1/2 yrs ago when I upgraded). I was lucky and I only wanted the Conti DWS and they have them in my 20" size. I would double-check the types of tires you would like to get with the up-size rims to make sure they are not too expensive, noisy, poor bad weather grip, poor treadlife, etc... The reviews at Tire Rack or Discount tires can give you some helpful info. Hopefully, the tire selection should have improved since 2014.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Just to add, sometime aftermarket rims may or maynot work with MDX lug removal equipment. I had an old Honda Accord with aftermarket rims and I had to purchase an extra wrench+socket to leave in the back because the Honda lug wrench didn't fit in the rim lug holes. I also had to purchase a torque wrench to make sure the lugs are torque'd to specs (94lb-ft) after visiting the tire shop. Discount Tires sometimes can torque the lugs down so tight, I had to purchase a 2ft breaker bar to get some of them loose. Over torque'd lugs can jack up your rotors, stretch out studs, break lugs, cause loose lugs, and make your tires feel like they are out of balance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts