Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Amen to that. That grotesque front end actually keeps me from buying a Lexus.
Commenting on style preferences is not my thing because style is a distant second for me, but I'll take your comment one step further. Not only will I not buy one, i won't even look at one.

I began car life with the tail fins of the late 1950s and I have seen them all, then to now. I cannot remember a more offensive, in-your-face look than the Lexus grill.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Commenting on style preferences is not my thing because style is a distant second for me, but I'll take your comment one step further. Not only will I not buy one, i won't even look at one.

I began car life with the tail fins of the late 1950s and I have seen them all, then to now. I cannot remember a more offensive, in-your-face look than the Lexus grill.
I agree as well. Can’t get over that big gaping maw. Worst grill ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I agree as well. Can’t get over that big gaping maw. Worst grill ever?
Ditto from me. I realize they were trying to get past the 'feminine' connotation of Lexus and trying to introduce some styling to try to appeal to the masculine side to increase their market share but I think they went overboard and ended up with simply ugly.

But apparently some people don't mind it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Ditto from me. I realize they were trying to get past the 'feminine' connotation of Lexus and trying to introduce some styling to try to appeal to the masculine side to increase their market share but I think they went overboard and ended up with simply ugly.

But apparently some people don't mind it.
Apparently a whole lot of people don’t mind it. I don’t comment on styling because it personal preference. Unless it’s the Pontiac Aztec.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep

I cross shopped the Q7 before pulling the trigger on our 2020 MDX Hybrid. Tires are typically run flats with no option a spare tire. According to various blogs some owners are reporting 15-20 thousand miles out of the tires. Replacement tires are around $1,900.00/set. Brakes repair and replacement pricing is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Acura just needs to make the new MDX as big as VW Atlas, then it will be selling like hot patatoes again. Also junk the 9AT won't hurt.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
My first post! I figured this would be a great thread for me to chime in on as I have historically been a Lexus owner and will be taking delivery of a 2016 MDX later today (couldn't take it home over the weekend due to them fixing the tail light and fuel pump recalls). This will be my first Acura. I traded in my 2009 Lexus LS460 for the MDX. My wife and I are expecting our third and she needs a car with more interior space and we loved that the Pilot and MDX has child seat anchors in the middle seat in the back. Toyota and Lexus don't offer this, nor do they offer a moderately engaging FWD experience. The steering on Toyota FWD products is incredibly numb and the throttle is extremely sensitive. With that said...

My car remains to be a 2009 Lexus GX470. It is full-time 4WD, so it does not suffer from the Toyota FWD aspects I mentioned before. It has 173,000 miles on the clock and I've had little to no issues out of it. I bought it second hand at 131K and I plan to take it to at least 270K (when the third timing belt will be due). But owners of these have taken them well over the 400-500K mile mark without major issues. I did have to replace the radiator and fuel sending unit. Those were unexpected and cost me $1,000 and $600 respectively. The rear suspension is on air and that will go at around 150K miles (mine went out at 151K). That was $1,200 to replace at my local Toyota dealer. That repair was expected. They do offer coilover conversions for the GX and it's a very popular thing for enthusiasts to do. I would have done it, but I hated the idea of having a functionless suspension height switch. They are also relatively cheap to insure. If you can get past the gas mileage (I average 14-15 mpg), nothing beats having a V8.

Car seat position in the 470 is not ideal if you want to still have access to the third row (hence the MDX in our case), but that seems to have been mostly rectified in the 460. The GX (especially the 470) is a surprisingly narrow SUV and the exterior size of it is deceiving. The thing to remember with Toyota (and probably why they're so reliable) is they will be dead last in adopting new technology. Virtually all of the GX's competitors will be teched out and it will lack in comparison. Toyota's "lifetime" transmission fluid also scares the crap out of me, but we will see how far the tranny goes. So far, so good.

One of my favorite things about the GX is that owners tend to take VERY good care of them. I can't explain why, ut it is not at all hard to find a used GX in pristine condition. People still think my car is new when they see it.
You will regret buying MDX once you drive few weeks/months. Still time to go back if you want smooth ride from accelerator to struts.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Acura just needs to make the new MDX as big as VW Atlas, then it will be selling like hot patatoes again.
I've never checked the size of the Atlas but I specifically wanted an SUV that was 'big enough' but 'not too big' - i.e. I wasn't at all interested in a vehicle like a Tahoe, Suburban, Excursion, etc. that's bigger but toobig for my wants. And, I think the MDX is already selling pretty well. I'm sure Acura would like to sell more of them but it has its niche. The MDX will be too small for some, too big for others, and juuust right for many who buy it.

You will regret buying MDX once you drive few weeks/months.
You don't know what people will regret. I'm at over 6 years on my 2014 MDX and don't regret it a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thinking about waiting until this 10/2019 for the new Lexus GX460 due to the excellent reliability and I would never have to worry about a zf9 transmission failing. I would like a car that is reliable (no domestics or germans) so it only leaves me with the Pilot (don't want zf9 and want luxury). Any recommendations from those that have both or in a similar situation? Thanks.
The QX60 looks like 2010 inside. Its dated as hell. The RX350 is for older people. Nothing sporty about it. Tight upfront driver and passenger. The bigger gx Lexus has less cubic feet than mdx. Let that sink in

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cross shopped the Q7 before pulling the trigger on our 2020 MDX Hybrid. Tires are typically run flats with no option a spare tire. According to various blogs some owners are reporting 15-20 thousand miles out of the tires. Replacement tires are around $1,900.00/set. Brakes repair and replacement pricing is ridiculous.
What brand of tire? Thinking maybe a 2017 Q7. Heard that the 2019 model has the vegetable based wire insulation that mice love to chew on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
People were complaining about the Pirelli run flats. The concern was poor longevity and increased tire noise over time. I myself was concerned about taking a car with no spare on a long road trip. If the runlets for whatever reason are not drivable replacement tires are not readily available at the local tire dealers like America's/Discount tire. The Audi is a beautiful, solid SUV that rides extremely well and is very quiet. The dependability is ranked high but the repair costs are up there just behind BMW's. I was specifically looking at a 2019 Q7 3.0 Prestige with the optional air suspension.

·
Registered
91 Posts
People were complaining about the Pirelli run flats. The concern was poor longevity and increased tire noise over time. I myself was concerned about taking a car with no spare on a long road trip. If the runlets for whatever reason are not drivable replacement tires are not readily available at the local tire dealers like America's/Discount tire. The Audi is a beautiful, solid SUV that rides extremely well and is very quiet. The dependability is ranked high but the repair costs are up there just behind BMW's. I was specifically looking at a 2019 Q7 3.0 Prestige with the optional air suspension.
In addition, the Q7 doesn't even have a sunglasses compartment up front! Deal breaker! However, if you want a luxury vehicle (with or without the sunglasses compartment), you gotta be ok with the on-going maintenance costs of same. That's the cost of having a "beautiful, solid SUV that rides extremely well and is very quiet". Or you can go a different route, and buy a domestic/mainstream import SUV of appropriate size (such as an Explorer or Highlander) and (hopefully) experience reduced maintenance and repair costs. Or you can opt for a "premium" (non-luxury) vehicle like a 3rd Gen MDX with some luxury-like content, and hope you are on the lucky side of the 3rd Gen's somewhat spotty reliability reputation (as MDXStang evidently did). Luxury, mainstream or "Goldilocks" (MDX) option. It's up to you how you spend your hard-earned dinero. However, when my trusty 2d Gen MDX finally bites the dust, I'll definitely be cross-shopping true luxury vehicles, like the Q7 Prestige my son 3.0 owns, or whatever RX version Lexus has on offer, "grotesque" grill or not ('cause I won't be looking at it when I'm driving the vehicle). YMMV.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have no regrets with mine 17 except NAV and third row comfort otherwise it’s ok .
It’s not luxury car compared to others but Acura charges luxury premium for it and maintenance..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have no regrets with mine 17 except NAV and third row comfort otherwise it’s ok .
It’s not luxury car compared to others but Acura charges luxury premium for it and maintenance..
I get my maintenance done at Honda. They do a better job there and are closer to me. Also a little less expensive.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts