Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about waiting until this 10/2019 for the new Lexus GX460 due to the excellent reliability and I would never have to worry about a zf9 transmission failing. I would like a car that is reliable (no domestics or germans) so it only leaves me with the Pilot (don't want zf9 and want luxury). Any recommendations from those that have both or in a similar situation? Thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Kia Teluride? Looks really impressive if you can find one.
Lexus liiks OK, has decent reliability, but it is panned across the board for sloppy ride and handling.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Unless you need towing, don't forget about the 2020 MDX sport hybrid in tech or adv. It has nothing in common with any Honda powertrain, most sophisticated torque vectoring system Honda/Acura has developed that works on & off engine power, Sport+ mode, and best of both worlds with power and mpg improvement.

No issues with other DI engines because the hybrid uses a 3.0L port injection V-6, can run on 87 octane (91 preferred), very smooth 7DCT, almost undetectable Auto stop/start, Apple/Android carplay, and no electronic bugs like the 19 RDX new info-tainment system.

·
Registered
436 Posts
The GX460 is very nice, but a world different than the MDX. Full frame/truck based SUV rather than cross over. I agree with the sentiment of avoiding pretty much everything European unless you are leasing with all maintenance included. Benz and Beemer will eat you alive in maintenance and repair costs along with specialty products. I ran into an Audi SQ5 the other day that took 21" tires. WTH? I know the X purists here say they have taken a lot of the driver enthusiast aspects out of the newer MDX models, but IMO they are still more sporty than a Lexus RX. No wonder the average Lexus driver is 77 years old lol! Seriously, I don't know the demographic on Lexus drivers, but it sure seems like they are! I really thought Kia/Hyundai was going to round out the Genesis line up faster and the Telluride doesn't seem to fit the rest of the brand IMO. They are teasing with a concept called GV80, but that looks to be a 2021 model showing up sometime next year. Will likely be worth considering once it settles in.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I definitly want a bigger suv with third row and luxury (same level of smooth ride and quietness as the MDX) but more reliability so that left me to Lexus, they are having a refresh this year. Looks like the GX460 is my next option.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I don't think any Honda or any other Acura is using the 3.0L port injection V-6. Only the RLX and NSX are using the DCT and 3 electric motors.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I would never have to worry about a zf9 transmission failing. I would like a car that is reliable (no domestics or germans) so it only leaves me with the Pilot (don't want zf9 and want luxury).
You're limiting yourself so much with your assumptions and 'worries' that your choices s/b pretty easy. On the worry about the trans failing you could always ... just not worry. There's no basis for undue concern that the trans will fail any more than any other trans in any vehicle. Just drive and enjoy it and not worry about it unless it truly has failed on you multiple times. There's a long warranty on the trans and you're likely nowhere near the end of it. You also make the assumption/statement that no domestic or German vehicles are reliable and this simply isn't true either.

Outside of that - you could just go with your biases and check out what's left for you. The main thing to do is simply to go to the dealerships, look at them, sit in them, drive them, and see how they suit what you're looking for.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I definitely want a bigger suv with third row and luxury (same level of smooth ride and quietness as the MDX) but more reliability so that left me to Lexus, they are having a refresh this year. Looks like the GX460 is my next option.
In my opinion, your first mistake is considering the MDX to be a "luxury" vehicle. While it can be purchased with some upscale content (depending on trim level) it definitely is not a luxury vehicle in the same sense that a Lexus RX-350L, Audi Q7. BMW 5/7, Range Rover or Mercedes GLS are. Although I have a 2nd Gen MDX that is still going strong, I'm coming around to the conclusion that Acura is merely a North American marketing operation and that it's vehicles are merely gussied up Hondas for which buyers are asked to pony up thousands more, sometimes without the technology available in the regular Honda line. Along those lines of thinking, if it's a Honda product you require, you might want to be looking a top trim Pilot. If you are willing to look at other brands, another three row SUV equivalent to the latest MDX is the new 2020 Toyota Highlander in top trim. As stated by other posters, the GX-460 is a horse of a different color, i.e., a body on frame truck, not a crossover like the MDX or the Lexus RX-350L. Good luck with your search

·
Registered
1 Posts
My first post! I figured this would be a great thread for me to chime in on as I have historically been a Lexus owner and will be taking delivery of a 2016 MDX later today (couldn't take it home over the weekend due to them fixing the tail light and fuel pump recalls). This will be my first Acura. I traded in my 2009 Lexus LS460 for the MDX. My wife and I are expecting our third and she needs a car with more interior space and we loved that the Pilot and MDX has child seat anchors in the middle seat in the back. Toyota and Lexus don't offer this, nor do they offer a moderately engaging FWD experience. The steering on Toyota FWD products is incredibly numb and the throttle is extremely sensitive. With that said...

My car remains to be a 2009 Lexus GX470. It is full-time 4WD, so it does not suffer from the Toyota FWD aspects I mentioned before. It has 173,000 miles on the clock and I've had little to no issues out of it. I bought it second hand at 131K and I plan to take it to at least 270K (when the third timing belt will be due). But owners of these have taken them well over the 400-500K mile mark without major issues. I did have to replace the radiator and fuel sending unit. Those were unexpected and cost me $1,000 and $600 respectively. The rear suspension is on air and that will go at around 150K miles (mine went out at 151K). That was $1,200 to replace at my local Toyota dealer. That repair was expected. They do offer coilover conversions for the GX and it's a very popular thing for enthusiasts to do. I would have done it, but I hated the idea of having a functionless suspension height switch. They are also relatively cheap to insure. If you can get past the gas mileage (I average 14-15 mpg), nothing beats having a V8.

Car seat position in the 470 is not ideal if you want to still have access to the third row (hence the MDX in our case), but that seems to have been mostly rectified in the 460. The GX (especially the 470) is a surprisingly narrow SUV and the exterior size of it is deceiving. The thing to remember with Toyota (and probably why they're so reliable) is they will be dead last in adopting new technology. Virtually all of the GX's competitors will be teched out and it will lack in comparison. Toyota's "lifetime" transmission fluid also scares the crap out of me, but we will see how far the tranny goes. So far, so good.

One of my favorite things about the GX is that owners tend to take VERY good care of them. I can't explain why, ut it is not at all hard to find a used GX in pristine condition. People still think my car is new when they see it.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I just hard to compared the 3rd Gen MDX to anything now because it has been the same design since 2014 (probably started back before 2012 with 3rd Gen MDX design). It is just the sh-awd, handling, and performance are the main things the MDX can compete with compared to most other more current brands. Acura always seems to be last on the list for new models introductions and tech upgrades. The 3rd Gen MDX is really the iPhone 8s compared to the iPhone X that are available now. Unfortunately, the 2021 4th Gen MDX will only be the iphone X; while, others are moving on to the iphone 11 or beyond.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That’s too true I was hoping that Acura redesigns MDX to offer rear AC vents or offer little more space in third row .
Besides AWD and good reliability MDX is no where near what other companies offer .

MDX is not luxury compared to Lexus even advance package doesn’t have that fit finish compared to Lexus or Palisades.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
because it has been the same design since 2014 (probably started back before 2012 with 3rd Gen MDX design). It is just the sh-awd, handling, and performance are the main things the MDX can compete with compared to most other more current brands. Acura always seems to be last on the list for new models introductions and tech upgrades.
While the general body shape has been the same throughout the 3rd gen (with a minor change in the grill), there really have been some major changes available in the 3rd gen - bigger changes than are in most vehicles' generations. I'm referring to the hybrid, which has a hybrid drive and a different engine and different transmission, and for the non-hybrid, yet a different transmission when it switched from the 6 sp on the 2014/2015 to the 9 sp on the later non-hybrid years (for better or worse).

On the more minor side to me, but major for some people, is the intro of Carplay/Auto on the recent years.

Given the above, I don't think we can say the 3rd gen has been the same design throughout or that it's last for technical updates.

Note that I'm still happy with my 2014 and plan to stick with it for some more years before evaluating a possible replacement.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a 2011 MDX with 125k miles and we use it as our tow vehicle besides our every day driver. The six speed with the 300 hp engine along with sport mode and paddle shifters has worked really well for us. We will be looking at replacing it in the next couple years and not sure what we will go with. Seems like Acura could have made the redesigns even more rugged and powerful especially to handle towing but probably due to market pressures they backed off and went more the standard commuter SUV with making the towing package optional and scaling back the engine. With what we tow we could use a little more torque so we will probably look at the Audi A7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts