Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking at an 05 MDX with 65,000 for my wife to drive for a few years. the price is 8700, looks pretty clean. I asked the owner about the tranny, he said he has never had an issue. If I buy it, I'll be the one doing my maintenance. I was reading that some people have issues with their transmission. how wide spread is it really? I'm going to test drive it Saturday. What do you guys think? Sorry for the double post, I think i put the first one in the wrong spot, and can't delete.

·
Registered
267 Posts
05, that's a little old, if you can hang out for an 06 or a 07, you will be in better shape.
The tranny is the biggest issue back then.

And $8700 is high, KBB for that kind of car in premo shape is $7000

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on how his maintenance records look. Even at 65K you'll want to change the timing belt right away, if he hasn't changed it (105K miles or 7 years is the recommendation). $8,700 is high, but an MDX in great shape with great maintenance history will almost always sell above KBB.

I bought a 2004 just over a year ago with 88K on it and I've been pretty happy ... put about 30K on it in the first year, and I'll probably keep it for five more years. No tranny problems at all, very smooth. But I'm now getting a ck engine light on a bad cat (I'll ignore for a while as my mileage is fine), and the TPMS is lighting up -- tire pressure monitor needs new battery.

65K is very low so I'd jump on it and agree on price if you like the way it drives.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For that mileage the chances of transmission trouble are low if it had regular fluid changes and wasn't driven like a race car or towed something all the time. My 2006 Acura MDX has 125,000 miles and the transmission has never had any problems and shifts beautifully with regular fluid changes of course. Also a family member of mine owns a 2006 as well with 170,000 miles and it's been neglected in terms of maintenance and the transmission and the entire vehicle still works great without ever having any problems besides a recent needed valve adjustment.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Heh. Probably. That's one of the things about car-related forums. We get fixated on the things that do go wrong with our particular vehicles, and then helpfully pass all that long to everyone else. In the process, we usually forget that the vast majority of the vehicles don't experience these problems.

The one kind of constant that runs through pretty much every discussion about car reliability is that automatic transmissions are the weak point of any car that has one (which has to be 95% of 'em these days). But even then, most cars end up going to the junkyard / crusher with the original tranny.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yeah and you can go on to a website like carcomplaints.com and see honda accord with our model years had so many transmission complaints it's on their top 3 most issues so you know Honda messed up. But then you remember that Honds accord is the most sold sedan in the country so even a few thousand complaints don't represent the millions of Accords on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts