Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Thinking about a new MDX

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Newbie08 
#1 ·
Think about getting a new MDX SHAWD ultimate. I am coming from a an X5 that is about to come out of warranty and well I think you all know about owning bmw's out of warranty. I have a v8 with the m-sport package and I am done with replacing tires and waiting for the V8 to go wrong which they are prone too.

Thinking about this, a Durango or a Grand Cherokee. I tend to buy fully loaded vehicles. It will be my commuter car in Denver.

I am concerned about some of the stuff I have read on here. Rear suspension noise, rattles, fuel pump, steering column, fit and finish finish and some of the tech issues - nav screen, adaptive cruise. I am also concerned about the manners of the 9 speed. Dealer has some 15's left over with the 6 speed.

I do not want a maintenance hog. I don't have a lot of patience for repairs which is why the Beemer is going by bye. Thoughts from the collective appreciated.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
I think this is right and I have been on enough forums cars, bikes and trucks to know that people come to them to vent, air problems or discover mods. I was just a bit surprised that the MDX had issues given Acura's reputation. I have had two V8 BMW's recently and one left me stranded and about $5k lighter in the wallet about 9 months out of warranty. I love BMW but have zero confidence in their long term reliability. Also, when they charge you $611 for a new battery install, time to look elsewhere.

#5 ·
You, coming from a X5 v8, will be a bit disappointed with the MDX. There's a huge difference between the price of those 2 and it's unfair to compare them side by side. The MDX is more of a people hauler crossover.

I think you're better off checking the Lexus LX, GX or the Land Cruiser. Those 3 are in the same price point with V8 engines and very reliable.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
I do not want to spend as much as I did on the X5. I also want a bit better fuel economy than those will offer. I also need to be able to park in a fairly tight parking garage at work. I find Lexi to be dry white toast and generally speaking excepting the RX to be a generation behind. Besides whomever is in charge of the new Lexus design style needs to be left stranded on a deserted island in the South Pacific.

#12 ·
I have a 2016 MDX. It is fantastic. The 9 speed transmission is smooth and works very well. It is much better than my 6 speed MDX transmission. Acuralink, adaptive cruise control and LKSA work great. Fit and finish is not the best. BMW navigation is much better as is the BMW Connected Drive.

The MDX is pedestrian. Not as stylish as the X5 and no where near the features. A bit too much of a soccer mom cross over vehicle but my wife likes driving it.

The Jeep Cherokee is worth a look. A very Boss vehicle, especially with the V8.

Personally, I would stay away from the 6 speed MDX if you decide on the MDX. It is already dated. Dealers are having trouble getting rid of these. Go for the latest technology.

But don't listen to anyone on a forum. Go test drive the cars you are interested in. What matters is what you think. But since you are coming from a V8 X5, you ain't going to like an MDX.

This post has been deleted
#17 ·
I know this is an old thread - but, I'm in the process of looking for a replacement of my leased '15 Explorer Sport. I think I have narrowed my choices down to the upcoming '17 Explorer Sport; '16 R/T Durango, and a '16 or '17 MDX.

Headlights are very important to me this time around; I want three rows and something with a little zip.

The Explorer has been a good vehicle with the exception of the awful headlights - Ford in their infinite wisdom decided the Sport ('15 and earlier) should have halogens. Given its likely the '17 won't have different headlights than the '16 which now has LED low beams - I'm going to test drive one next week in the dark as I have read less than flattering reviews of them.

Took a '16 Durango R/T out for an overnight test drive earlier this week. Bi-Xenon's were pretty nice. Hemi was OK - didn't feel as quick as my Sport (and it's not). Fit and feel was nice - electronics were 1st rate. Better than Sync 2 - not sure if better than Sync 3. Pretty nicely optioned out (heated rear seats, etc). Lots of room in all rows. Negatives - not a lay flat floor for the 3rd row like it is in the Explorer - not sure on the MDX if its lay flat. Not sure that if the Labrador Retriever in the back will like being slanted a bit!

I owned a '03 MDX and then a couple of RDX's '07 and '08 - loved the RDX's and SH-AWD.

Not sure if the MDX has the cargo capacity that I'm looking for - couple of kids, big dog, road trips, etc. Might be my imagination but seems like '03 was bigger than current MDX. Unfortunate that ones needs the Advance package to get cooled seats (which I have in my Sport and don't want to give up)

Pricing amongst all three is fairly close, especially since I'm leasing - likely two years.

I don't have any concern about the three dealers. Used to get my Jeep serviced at this Jeep/Dodge dealer; Ford dealer is great; no experience with the Acura dealer as they are new, but have to believe they will be good.

Wondering if anyone else has compared the same vehicles. Headlights #1 on my list; electronics are important (read a lot of negative on the forums but have also heard they are pretty good on the MDX);

I realize this is an Acura forum and the lean is most likely towards the MDX but input would be appreciated/

#18 ·
I recently purchased a '16 MDX. I compared it to the Highlander, Pilot, and Explorer. Needed 3 rows, and wanted something "luxury." I enjoy the 9 speed and the MPGs have been better than my '13 Tiguan. It came down to the Highlander and the MDX in the end and I believe that with the '17 MDX coming, they were looking to move on the '16.

FWIW

Things I like:
Headlights
3 Rows
Auto Start (Added Option)
Overall exterior look
3rd row easy access via the button push on 2nd row.
MPGs for the size
Acceleration
9 Speed Trans

Things I don't like:
Long distance seat comfort. (Maybe better after seat breaks in?)
Do hear some thumps in the rear in the back when hitting pot holes/manhole covers, but not nearly as bad as my other vehicles.

#19 ·
At least I can say OP mentioned 3 vehicles. Yes, BMW is better to get rid of when warranty runs out. Regarding among this 3 vehicles MDX beat them hands down as far as maintenance goes. Also it is not so expensive to service. I am driving 3rd Acura, 2nd MDX(2016). One BMW, one Audi in the fam,ily, this two are fun car to drive but not a good ones to keep long term. On any vehicle one ought to expect more problems when vehicle is loaded with too many bells and whistles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.