Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things to do to prevent your car from stolen, watch and learn!

What you can do: Common sense

Park in busy, visible, and (after dark) well-lighted places

Avoid unattended parking lots

Completely close all windows, including sunroof

Apply the parking brake

Lock the door

Take your keys!

Never leave your car running while unattended, even for a moment

Don't hide a spare key on the car

Keep your registration with you, not in sight within the car (cell phone, packages, briefcase, or purse)

Turn your wheels all the way to one side to make towing harder

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What you can do: Low tech

Use a visible steering-wheel lock (the club, etc...)

You can fit a similar lock on the pedals

An armored steering-column collar can reinforce the ignition switch and steering lock

A flashing red "system-armed" indicator, even a fakeone, suggests an alarm that might be more trouble than a would-be theif is up for

Have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) etched into window and major body panels (newer cars have some sheetmetal so labeled). This makes your car easier to identifiy if it's stloen, and more troblesome and costly for the theif to turn into cash. Many independent services can do this job, and it's commonly offered by car dealers too

On many cars, you can wire a simple power cut-off toggle switch into the ignition or starter circuit, and hide it creatively, to make it harder for those who don't know the secrt to get your vehicle going

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you can do: Alarm systems

Protect hood and trunk as well as doors, and be sure to locate this siren and wiring bundles where wires can't be swiftly cut or yanked out

Keyless entry/remote arming is an inexpensive convenience

Rolling-code technology, or code hopping, refers to a system's ability to vary its transmitted code each time the remote is used. This keeps techsavvy perps from reading your code and then programming a transmitter of their own to open your car (a bit of a long shot now, but the technology is becoming more available)

Motion or shock detection increases the effectiveness of an alarm systm. Two-stage sensors reduce false alarms by emitting warning chirps on a light disturbance, then resetting. Further motion, as would happen in an unauthorized entry, kicks off the full scream

An interior microphone sensitive to the sound of breaking glass is an available feature on many systems

Pagers are popular with macho types who want to run outside and kick some butt if someone messes with their wheels, but for that very reason

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: What you can do: Alarm systems

2002 Acura MDX! said:
...Pagers are popular with macho types who want to run outside and kick some butt if someone messes with their wheels...
Oh yeeeaaaahhhh! I can definitely relate!...:4:

·
Registered
449 Posts
The best way is to never drive your MDX and just leave it in the garage. Unless you have kids or your spouse scratches the car while leaving the garage. :p

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Don't EVER park within 25 minutes of the Mexican border!

Remove one tire and chain the "X" to the bike rack!

Get a LoJack like mine and make the "chase" entertaining!

:29:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
DMor said:

Remove one tire and chain the "X" to the bike rack!

Get a LoJack like mine and make the "chase" entertaining!

:19:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
paul123

No offense but my first thought when looking at your car picture was it was a minivan , not a MDX :)

This means that from certain angle, the MDX looks like a minivan.

·
Registered
126 Posts
safety travel

Heavens - that's slander at best, please don't tell me I spent almost 40K for a minivan lookalike:1:
This means that from certain angle, the MDX looks like a minivan.
maybe one of you can help me. we are going on road with antiques and husband is nervous wreck about MDX getting broken into. My thinking is what they can not see they won't want. found this site ,
http://www.suvcargocaddy.com/index.html.
Would like to known what the troops are thinking, I figured one of these and a cargo cover and I'd have fighting chance- also will be in florida Lakeland, anybody know if it is a big crime area?
Caroline:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Live poisonous animals in the front seat are a good deterrent

·
Registered
738 Posts
DMor said:

How do I do that when I take an MDX vacation into Mexico this Christmas season?

Actually, from what I've seen, I think I'm more likely to have my brother's 10 year old F-150 stolen than my MDX while visiting Mexico.

Naturally, I'll cover myself. 21st Cent. has a partnership with a Mex. insur. co. that I might actually trust.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
How do I do that when I take an MDX vacation into Mexico this Christmas season?
You simply have to drive deeper into Mexico - you'll be no where near the border that way. :2:

·
Registered
126 Posts
What is street Pilot III?
Caroline

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I've got one. . . electrocute the door handles.

·
Registered
738 Posts
oceanMDX said:

You simply have to drive deeper into Mexico - you'll be no where near the border that way. :2:
Hey, Mr. Cabo -

Puedas comprar un MDX en Mexico?

I'm guessing no, but want a second opinion from someone "down there."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Set it up like they do in South Africa: Flame throwers on driver side and passenger (directly behind wheel wells) or electrified driver seat.
By the way Lakeland Florida should be ok
And yes the MDX does have more than a few similarities to the Odditty. A good car in its own right, just not as much presence as the MDX. Needs a good set of wheels to make the proportions right.:4:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Razor blades under the door handles :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
MDX Moto said:
Set it up like they do in South Africa: Flame throwers on driver side and passenger (directly behind wheel wells) or electrified driver seat.
By the way Lakeland Florida should be ok
And yes the MDX does have more than a few similarities to the Odditty. A good car in its own right, just not as much presence as the MDX. Needs a good set of wheels to make the proportions right.:4:
Thanks on the intel on Lakeland, about those electrified seats, sounds dangerous if you are just a little forgetfull....:eek: Caroline

1 - 20 of 22 Posts