Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check:

1. Tire pressure - Acura recommends 32 PSI, most are delivered with PSI in the 38 to 45 range.

2. VIN number in the range from 2HNYD1...1H500001 to 2HNYD1...1H505300. "The MDX has a dual-threshold frontal airbag system for the driver and front seat passenger. The threshold, or minimum vehicle speed that the airbag will deploy in a collision, is dependent on whether the seat belt is buckled; deploying at a lower speed if the seat belt is not buckled see MDX RECAL INFORMATION at: http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=852

3. Some folks have had an issue with a thud noise from the right front see THE THUD: http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=333

4. Check audio presets 4 and 5 to see they work. Service departments are replacing defective units with remanufactured units.

Remember:

1. Side mirrors need to be in middle position for Touring model right side mirror to tilt down when in reverse

2. You will have water dripping done the doors from the mirror housings after washing

3. The rear window washer does not "spritz" the solution onto the window, it is a free flow run of solution

Do:

1. Put a coat of wax on it. see: LETS START WITH YOUR PREFERRED BRAND OF WAX at http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=293 for suggestions on brands of wax

2. Treat youw windows to some Rain-X and save your wipers

3. Add your favorite CD selections to WHAT YA GOT LOADED http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=873

4. Join one of the regional clubs on the forum

and lastly

Keep Posting and enjoy the Ride!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Question ...

2. You will have water dripping done the doors from the mirror housings after washing

It is unclear to me that ... Does the water drip down on the outside or inside of the door ?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Mesa,
I am one of those WaitingToBe MDX owners. Sounds to me like it might be a good idea to take your pearls of wisdom and create a downloadable checklist. Those of us in waiting could then fax or e-mail this list to the dealer at the time they notify us our MDX is in. Then have their service department validate that all these items have been checked during the vehicle prep that they are getting paid by Acura to do for us customers. If I remember correctly, you had another post on this topic and weren't there a couple of other things you recommended we check?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: Question ...

GoFast_K,

Dripping down the outside.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As long as the water is dripping outside of my car, it is OK with me (all my other car, mini van & SUV are doing the same things anyway) Thanks MesaBeige.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. Drive it for at least 15 minutes and listen for any noises and observe any obvious driving problems such as poor idling.
2. Push every button and test all systems such as A/C, radio, and navigation if ordered.
3. Physically inspect the car for any scratches or blemishes and all shipping/packing materials are removed
4. If you had any dealer installed accessories, check that they are all there and are installed properly.
5. Do not sign any paperwork before you test drive the vehicle.
6. If you are financing or leasing, make sure the amount on either the load or lease agreement is the same as what is in your sales contract.
7. Make sure you get two sets of keys and remotes
8. Make sure you don't have Firestone tires.
9. Look for orange peel paint
10. The mileage on the car (should be about 10 miles)
11. The accessories purchased (dealer must deliver with all items installed; that way you can avoid problem 12. if they install a deflector after delivery and damage your car; the dealer cannot force you to take the car until all accessories are installed ("perfect tender" rule)).
13. Free tank of gas, promotional gadgets, leather cover for the user manual
14. Check that all doors and tailgate lock properly
15. Try to get free Touchup paint & 2 extra keys; first oil change ~3500 miles; first VTM-4 fluid change ~ 7500 miles
16. Asked him not to put on a dealer nameplate or decal.
17. I also asked for a pinstripe as no extra cost. Black dual pinstripe about 1.0" below the windows on a Silver MDX. The Pinstripe also has an Acura Emblem in a brake in the dual pinstripe just below the front of the side rear view mirror black mount.
18. Ask about a loaner car if your car needs work any time during the first month. I had options put on and got a free loaner twice.
19. Spare Tire – Full or Donut
20. I'd also suggest that you bring along some CDs and check out the CD changer
21. Check for thump at Engine mount fire wallside bolts and Front bushings and stabilizer bar, also LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS and swaybars

Break in period is the first 600 miles, no hard breaking (first 200 miles), avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration, Premium gas preferred, and drive reasonable speeds. First oil change ~3500 miles; first VTM-4 fluid change ~ 7500 miles

I am making a checklist and will convert to a pdf file to print out and take to the dealer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AcuraDrvr said:
15. Try to get free Touchup paint & 2 extra keys...
At the time you pick up your MDX, you will receive two sets of keys and remotes, and a valet key. I don't think the dealer can give you 2 extra ones since the keys have the immobilizer system chip in them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Keys

Beige_MDX said:
Yes they can make keys. I got 6 keys and 2 fobs.
Beige_MDX,

Just curious, did you demand the extra keys from your dealer? If so, did your dealer give them to you for free?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Extra Keys

Syzygy: Yes, I demanded them from the dealer. This was the only "gimme" I got. They cost the dealer all of $25 per key.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Having a check list is fine, but I wonder how it may work out in reality. Presumably, you'll want to do the test drive and run down the checklist BEFORE you sign your checkbook. However, what do you do if you find some minor problems (e.g. radio button #6 doesn't work)? Do you insist that the dealer fix all the problems you find before you sign the check, or do you take ownership of the MDX first and have the dealer fix the problems under warranty later? I don't know about you, but I'll want to get over the paper work as fast as possible, so that I can drive my baby that I have been waiting for for three months! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks!

Please post where we can find the PDF file after you complete it. Mine is in, and their getting it prepped and adding my options over the next few days. I told them to take some time as I have to wait for some stock sales to clear first, and obviously they aren't "up" right now.

One thing I did get them to do: I let them know of the deals I was going to order through Hondacuraworld.com for the protection package and the running boards and they matched it and even came down on their installation cost for me. I get internet prices and get them installed, too!

And now I'll know what to look for before I zoom away.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The checklist is great but what would the procedures be if you are getting a car shipped from out of state? I have the contract and the dealer would like me to send the full amount to him before shipping. Should I send the dealer the full amount or should I demand "COD" payment? Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Please post where we can find the PDF file after you complete it.

This would be a good 'functionality' to put under a heading on the Home Page, whatta ya think, Daniel?

·
Registered
214 Posts
ajlee7 said:
. . . what would the procedures be if you are getting a car shipped from out of state?
What is the possibility of the dealer sending it to your local Acura/Honda dealer for your accepting delivery and tendering payment (kind of like "professional courtesy" between American Honda Inc. family members)? I would insist that the car be shipped F.O.B. your destination so the risk of loss is on the seller until you accept it.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
OK I Give Up?

Several posts have suggested checking for "orange peel paint" :confused:

Can someone explain what this is and/or how to check for it?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Orange Peel Paint

If you look closely at the paint, it may look like it has small, very slight dimples (like an orange peel) instead of being perfectly smooth (try laying your head close to the hood). (The dimples are so slight, that they wouldn't count as a vote on a Florida ballot).

I don't know what to do if you have orange peel paint; whether its a big deal; whether that's just the way cars are painted; or whether one should refuse delivery of the car if it has it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With all these issues floating out there, would you guys buy your MDX if you had it to do again. I am torn, I have driven the thing and love it, but something tells me to buy a Highlander and drive it a couple of years the buy the one I really want after the bugs are worked out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
YES

STJ,

Yes, Yes and Yes! In a New Yawk minute. I would purchase it again after having lived with it for four months and 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Highlander?

I think the HL costs way too much money for what you get.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
19 Participants
timbrwolf9
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing