Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away for a long while. Have enjoyed our MDX so very thoroughly for year. However, Have seen couple of complaints around here with busted windsheilds. We too have had a rock hit our windsheild and cause crack. Had crack filled for $50 , Acura wanted $750 to replace.

NOW I thought I see on a post here that MDX put new thicker glass in for sound issues. If tru they put in new glass, then BullSht that is for sound. They would never bother for that reason. They wont fix less trivial items. I think the glass is subpar in these windsheilds
and they are CYA for themselves.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The 2001 MDX was criticized by the press for being too noisy. Acura didn't see that as trivial, because they see the MDX competing in the luxury market that has high standards. They implemented several fixes, including thicker windshield glass, to reduce the noise level.

I don't know how much thicker the new glass is. I do know that on every forum for every car make I have visited, I have seen complaints about glass breakage and about how older cars NEVER got broken windshields, never pitted, etc. And the paint never chipped on old cars, etc. (Mostly I think people just forget that trivial stuff over time and remember the big stuff).

I doubt that Acura would have changed the glass if there was a slightly increased tendency to crack, especially after just one year. I haven't seen that many complaints, plus it isn't Acura's warranty that would pay for it. It's owners and insurance companies. Acura wouldn't even know the full extent of the problem because of that. (Not everybody would complain to Acura). Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Agree with every point....

Again, as with many issues posted here- there is NO WAY to determine any failure frequencies based on posts! It isn't a representative sample,.... people post problems, they don't post to say "hey, my windshield didn't break today..."

Plus, Acura could easily bury the windshield failure frequency for a few YEARS beofre anyone noticed. Not much CYA exposure there either.

(Unlike a timing belt/water pump pulley recall to avoid their haivng to rebuild a few thousand engines.$$$$ Whoops, I'm sorry, cynical me... I mean to avoid a safety hazard in which it might "cause the engine to stall, which could result in a crash".)

Ard

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ard: you got an attitude, fella?:2:

...or are you just a realist?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Or is that a 'realistic attitude'?

(I know, it can get tiring.....but somebody's gotta do it)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
On the glass, if it's a warranty issue then it should be done by the dealership.
But if it's an insurance claim, who is to say a good glass place (I've used National Glass before for both a pitted and a broken winshield that were insurance claims) is not just as good? For that matter, who is to say 3rd party glass is not just as good as whatever Acura uses?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts