Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Everytime I restart my car, after driving the MDX around town for awhile, I'll notice the needle will reach the highest point (the red area) of the temperature gauge for a quick moment then it will return back to the normal position (middle of the temperature gauge). Is this normal? Thanks

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I have never seen mine do that and it doesn't sound normal, I would have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I never notice this in any Japanese car. I will check it this afternoon with my MDX again.

But I notice some American cars do this when you just turn on the ignition... I guess they are checking the system???? :confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
acurasandiego:

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I think I have an explanation...the only times I've noticed the temp. guage "peak out" is when I've been driving around and turn the engine off just for a few minutes (to run into a convenience store, for example). When I turn the engine back on, the guage peaks out.

Here's my theory: the temp. guage senses the temp. of the engine coolant...when you turn the motor off, the coolant stops circulating, but continues to absorb heat from the motor. If you leave the engine off for quite a while, both the motor and coolant have time to cool off, so you won't see the temp. guage peak out. But, if you turn the motor back on sooner rather than later, the coolant near the temp. guage has become VERY hot, but after only a second or two of the engine running again, the coolant circulates, bringing the temp. guage back down.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks g_dog01 for the explanation. I like your explanation better then the one given to me by my serviceman. He said it's a feature of the MDX and when it does that, it's going through a system check. If that's the case, why doesn't it do it on cold starts? He couldn't tell me. But anyway, we warmed up two other 03 MDX on the lot, turned off the engine, restarted the car, and the same thing happen with the gauge (it peaked high for a split second and then returned to normal). After seeing that for myself, I was satisfied and took my MDX home.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ahhh....This would be a Cush Acura explanation perhaps? I believe these are the same people who put 50 FREEK'N MILES ON MY X (one month ago) while trying to determine WHERE the wind noise was coming from; only to decide it was coming from my (drum roll)mirrors?

Of course I was invited back for a test drive to point out my "wind noise" concerns with the manager of the blah-de da-blah-blah department, since he couldn't HEAR THE NOISE COMING FROM MY WINDSHIELD SEAL. Maybe I should have told them to roll up the windows?

At least he didn't say it was a FEATURE of the X. But if they did, they might have stated. "It's designed to limit driver distraction since you can't hear simple conversations for yelling over the wind noise."

Uh..."U turn if possible"... what what? WHAT?

Ok...I feel better now. :)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DMor said:
Ahhh....This would be a Cush Acura explanation perhaps? I believe these are the same people who put 50 FREEK'N MILES ON MY X (one month ago) while trying to determine WHERE the wind noise was coming from; only to decide it was coming from my (drum roll)mirrors?
You should check your breadcrumbs to see the route they took to Tijuana :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts