Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used a wire jumper in place of the Thermal Cutoff Fuse for the rear AC? My Thermal Cutoff is bad and am waiting for the new one to arrive and wanted to see if I could get some use out of the RR during the pending heatwave here in SoCal.

Does anyone know if doing that temp fix will do any damage or cause other problems for a week or so?

Much Thanks,

Bob
2002 MDX

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well technically you can, but like a fuse, you loose all protection it gives you. It's in there for a reason, and I understand that the chances are extremely high that you X had a bad one, but if for some small reason it failed because the blower motor has an issue, do you really want to risk a fire in that chip, that could spread to something else plastic nearby? Please don't let me scare you, but you need to be aware of possibilities no matter how extremely remote they may be. If it's really that bad, go to the Acura dealer and buy the part, snap it in and fix yours as a spare. The real question is, how much is the savings worth to your piece of mind?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What CO_MDX said. Usually a thermal resetting fuse will fail because it's been running too near its cut-off current for too long. There may well be a problem with the circuit it protects. I suppose it would be OK to try a regular fuse of a similar rating in its place, but many homes burned down when the homeowner fixed that pesky fuse-blowing problem when he discovered that a penny would fit perfectly in the fuse socket (remember those?).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. I think I'll just get the fuse to be safe.

What does the Thermal Cutoff Fuse protect? Is it the Rear AC Fan? If that fuse were to fail and not do it's job what would get damaged?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts