Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I called it! I was trying to allow him to clear any confusion by my 1st post here in this thread. Then he insults me, when he is the one with over-the-top claims and zilch for proof!

T R O L L

·
Registered
192 Posts
I think "turbo" here should look up the guy who claimed he installed a factory nav in the X and then they could just chat amongst themselves. Just imagine what they could claim to accomplish.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The shiznit forsizzle..................:18:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The shiznit forsizzle..................
Sheesh maybe I should start a poll to see who believes this "turbo" fellow!!!

Because I for one, am not buying it.

;)

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
How about lets not and await what he has to say.:4:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
ardvarkus said:

...and shaking their heads!

This transmission cannot reliably handle the power. Heat isn't the only issue.
Shaking? Or more like shuddering at the thought if this is actually real? Probably isn't. There's too many things that don't sound right.

Unless it was built with low compression pistons (does anyone even make those for a J35 engine), a Honda engine with 25psi of boost is a timebimb with a real short fuse.

What the hell is a "LSP" rear diff? Does he mean LSD? As in Limited Slip Differential? As in the thing it already has in the form of the VTM unit that comes on every MDX?

Back to the boost issue. I would expect an engine that was squeezing 25psi to make more horsepower that that. Especially Honda's "big block" engine.

Fluidyne cooler or not, the transmission is just not built to handle that kind of power. Clutches will fry in less than a couple thousand miles.

And if this thing is in fact real...I'm sure it goes without saying, there will be no warranty coverage on the powertrain or much else should the owner ever thy to get something covered.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
bump

·
Registered
248 Posts
A little late to reply.. I know I am not an expert on moded cars; however, being the owner and builder of my weekend car (+900hp MKIV supra). I am really intrigued to see a turbo charged MDX...

WTF - 25psi. You are going to blow that car up.. I call BS . What octance are you running on 25psi? Don't tell me pump gas. :lol:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I'm glad you dug this old thread up....I would love to hear from KillBill75!

But I'm sure he's moved on to bigger and better troll-like things!

;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
I agree with SuperTech on the boost. Pure, unadulterated BS. A high performance car like the STi has 14.5psi of boost. A 3.5 ltr engine with 25psi, while dangerous, will produce way much more hp. On the Porsche Cayenne Turbo's 4.5ltr engine, a boost of just 8.7lbs generates 450hp.

Superchargers actually add horsepower as a percentage gain (percentage of an atmosphere). Assuming an engine with a compression ratio of around 9:1 running pump gas,if a supercharger gives your engine 14.7 psi of boost (another atmosphere) that will essentially double the output of your engine, everything else being equal. So, doing the math, a MDX with 25psi will generate about 927.5hp, give or take a few. :2:

Good trolling tho....

·
Registered
248 Posts
anjan said:
I agree with SuperTech on the boost. Pure, unadulterated BS. A high performance car like the STi has 14.5psi of boost. A 3.5 ltr engine with 25psi, while dangerous, will produce way much more hp. On the Porsche Cayenne Turbo's 4.5ltr engine, a boost of just 8.7lbs generates 450hp.

Superchargers actually add horsepower as a percentage gain (percentage of an atmosphere). Assuming an engine with a compression ratio of around 9:1 running pump gas,if a supercharger gives your engine 14.7 psi of boost (another atmosphere) that will essentially double the output of your engine, everything else being equal. So, doing the math, a MDX with 25psi will generate about 927.5hp, give or take a few. :2:

Good trolling tho....
:lol: your math and way of thinking is way off. :lol: 25psi on pump gas will blow the car up....

·
Registered
880 Posts
Ronsully said:
:lol: your math and way of thinking is way off. :lol: 25psi on pump gas will blow the car up....
Did I say pump gas anywhere?? :confused:

·
Registered
608 Posts
anjan said:

Did I say pump gas anywhere?? :confused:
"Superchargers actually add horsepower as a percentage gain (percentage of an atmosphere). Assuming an engine with a compression ratio of around 9:1 running pump gas"

There.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Pierre said:

"Superchargers actually add horsepower as a percentage gain (percentage of an atmosphere). Assuming an engine with a compression ratio of around 9:1 running pump gas"

There.
Good try. That part is talking about a 14.7 psi not the 25psi that Uma Thurman here is claiming. That is a general formula used to calculate the benefit you'd get by supercharging a car....with the assumptions stated, namely, pump gas.

·
Registered
608 Posts
anjan said:

Good try. That part is talking about a 14.7 psi not the 25psi that Uma Thurman here is claiming. That is a general formula used to calculate the benefit you'd get by supercharging a car....with the assumptions stated, namely, pump gas.
Well, I sure didn't interpret your statement that way, and I think others might not have, either!

·
Registered
248 Posts
anjan said:

Good trolling tho....
true you didn't say pump gas.... I was trying to be very simple in my answer. sorry about that. Anyways, what I am meaning about the math being wrong---- 25psi won't generate 927.5hp on the MDX... with a decent sized turbo 25psi would most likely give you about 525rwhp (which would = 600-625hp at the crank). Unless you go with a giant turbo you will never see 900hp. I am speaking from true experience....

PS- all this is assuming the engine and drivetrain hold up (which ain't happening). In addition to changing the compression ratio and sleeving the motor/forged internals. Also, no way will this car be able to run pump gas... It will need to run +110octane.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Good argument Ron. Of course, there are factors that sap away at the horsepower, but the "formula" stands "other things being equal". Here's an excerpt for Wikipedia encyclopedia on turbocharging results -

The increase in pressure is called "boost" and is measured in pascals, bars or lbf/in². The energy from the extra fuel leads to more overall engine power. For example, at 100% efficiency a turbocharger providing 101 kPa (14.7 lbf/in²) of boost would effectively double the power of the engine because the total pressure is twice atmospheric pressure. However, there are some parasitic losses due to heat and exhaust backpressure from the turbine, so turbochargers are generally only about 80% efficient because it takes some work for the engine to push those gases through the turbocharger turbine (which is acting as a restriction in the exhaust).
And here's the link that discusses it in more detail. You are right that it'll achieve much than the "ideal" quadrupled hp because of the "parasitic losses" but that'll still be closer to 700hp than 600hp. Like SuperTech was saying for a big engine like MDX's even 14.7lbs of boost is HUUUUGE. With a turbocharger delivering that thrust and 100 octane gas, it'll whip even Cayenne Turbo.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yea, it'll whip that Cayenne Turbo, all right.... for maybe 10 feet. Then a July 4th display!

·
Registered
248 Posts
anjan said:
Good argument Ron. Of course, there are factors that sap away at the horsepower, but the "formula" stands "other things being equal". Here's an excerpt for Wikipedia encyclopedia on turbocharging results -

And here's the link that discusses it in more detail. You are right that it'll achieve much than the "ideal" quadrupled hp because of the "parasitic losses" but that'll still be closer to 700hp than 600hp. Like SuperTech was saying for a big engine like MDX's even 14.7lbs of boost is HUUUUGE. With a turbocharger delivering that thrust and 100 octane gas, it'll whip even Cayenne Turbo.
hmm, sounds like you know a little something about turbo cars. :4: ...

My little toy is being sold.. :( Pic below was taken right after it rolled out of the paint booth.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wowee!! That's a sweeeet ride, Ron. Are you nuts? Why are you selling it?? :confused: What are the specs on it?

41 - 60 of 94 Posts