Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from the shop!!!!!!!!!!
It Dynoed at 443HP to the front wheels!!!!!!!!!!!
It's now got a HKS GT Ball bearing turbo 25 psi (intercooled) of boost and it still gets 20 miles per gallon!!!!!!! We reconnected the rear drive shaft and added a LSP Diff to the rear and the thing drifts like a Rally car!!!!!!!! Well worth the $10k. RDX Who????What?? Where????????

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
More engine pics please! And who did the turbocharging for you?

What's next on your upgrade list?

I've read and posted a lot on engine upgrades on the Porshe and Volvo boards, but this is the first major engine upgrade I have heard of on the MDX. Maybe we need a new category for posting under "Performance Enhancements"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Local Honda tuner that worked for Performance Factory in New York Did it. He has a small shop But the place is like a laboratory. He is very precise when it comes to these things.
All and all the thing was well executed. From the top the only thing visibly different is the replacement of the air pipe with a metal polished one. The intercooler is black so it is not visible at all. All that is visible is underneath like a retro kit for a non- turbo impreza!
The ECU was flashed to cope with the changes. But he also added a piggy back ECU to keep the 50 lbs. injectors incheck and to mask boost from the MAP sensor. Car is a sleeper if there ever was one of this size, untill you mash the throttle. We're thinking of doing away with the drive by wire and converting it to a mechanical link due to danger of servo malfuntion. I'll submit more pics but I don't know how!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
transmission was fitted with an external fluidyne cooler. Seems to be fine, but to cope with the sloppy luxury shifts will tweak the ECU to have it shift aliitle more ballsy like a 91 Accord.

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Cool! Wish Acura would make a stock Turbo version.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd rather they did'nt. The RDX will be a 4 cylinder Turbo VTEC slated to be released this winter.
Oh by the way, my wife called earlier and said she smoked a kid in a turbo RSX that thought he was a Badass! She said at the next light the look on his face when he saw the two baby seats in the back was worth a million bucks!

Go Mom Mobile!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Rice Rocket face was cracked !

LOVE IT ! :2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Can you post a pic of the whole engine bay of your X?

25 pounds is a lot of boost. Better be careful not to blow your engine.

Smoking a turbo RSX...wow, that's impressive. You should run it at the track...see how fast it is.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
KillBill,
Do you know what horsepower to the wheels was before the upgrade??? I'm betting you got about 200 hp improvement over stock!!! :29:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
KillBill-

That is one of the sickest modification on this forum. You are a brave man for making an easy going vehicle into a high performance monster....

I'm impressed...Very nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
KillBill,
You are the annointed one!
Praise ye, oh great MDX master.

More pics, cost, etc.!
What year & model is new motor?
TIA

·
Registered
203 Posts
wow,,,, you are really a brave man to try out turbo charging!
even on a 2005!!!!
let us know the time for the beast!! guess will be around 6 flat for 60mph?
also how's the trans coping with the horsepowers? or maybe a six-speed manual a way to go?:2:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
KillBill,

You have mail! I've been looking for a shop to do this. thx

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
KillBill75 said:
Just got my car back from the shop!!!!!!!!!!
It Dynoed at 443HP to the front wheels!!!!!!!!!!!
It's now got a HKS GT Ball bearing turbo 25 psi (intercooled) of boost and it still gets 20 miles per gallon!!!!!!! We reconnected the rear drive shaft and added a LSP Diff to the rear and the thing drifts like a Rally car!!!!!!!! Well worth the $10k. RDX Who????What?? Where????????
What kind of turbo system did you use to get such a large increase in hp? I would not expect that much increase with even with a supercharged system.

How did you go about protecting the internal engine parts from the added strain of the increase in horsepower. Was the engine blurprinted and beaded? What was total mod?

G

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is not a kit, I've been building Honda engines for 15 years for my self and never once has the rotating assembly failed. The key is proper air/fuel management. The engine was fittied ARP head studs and new bearings. The vehicle is a 95 but the engine is not. I would be crazy to teardown a brand new vehicle. This is a freshwater salvage car that the engine was hydro locked. The engine is out of an Accord and detuned to compensate for the added boost.The Trans is the original 92 MDX Trans with the dreaded bearing issue. But this was resolved. As far as all the detailes these will come to you guy's with time. The test will be driving it. By no means is this a daily driver, although as stated earlier it still did get 20 miles per gallon on the way to a friends house in the country. One other little tide bit is the MAP sensor,This little guy needs to be fooled when pressure goes above atmospheric(BOOST) this done with and old rice boy trick, either a purpose bought check valve to be placed on the throttle body or by using aquarium check valves either way it does the trick. And and MSD DIS ignition box is necessary in order to keep the candles lit!

More To come soon. But don't expect us to do this to some one elses car. Very soon to tell reliablity.

P.S. Becarefull what you wish far!!!!!!!:1:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
KillBill75 what the hell are you talking about?

"The vehicle is a 95 but the engine is not." ===What vehicle did you put this in?

"The Trans is the original 92 MDX Trans with the dreaded bearing issue." ===What is a 92 MDX? As in 1992?

"We're thinking of doing away with the drive by wire and converting it to a mechanical link due to danger of servo malfuntion." ===2004 was the 1st year Accord used drive-by-wire throttle.

"This little guy needs to be fooled when pressure goes above atmospheric(BOOST) this done with and old rice boy trick, either a purpose bought check valve to be placed on the throttle body or by using aquarium check valves either way it does the trick." ===I also know about the aquarium valve trick, and it's "ghetto".

"I've been building Honda engines for 15 years for my self and never once has the rotating assembly failed." ===Admit it, you yourself are probably only 15 years of age.......come on now!

You had us going though! {raspberries, thumbs down}

......oh yeah and topic of the thread you started is called the Turbo MDX !!!!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts