Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 85,000 long miles on my 04 MDX, it is time to replace the tires (goodyear integrity, they were replaced before i bought it certified). I was never satisfied with the snow or wet performance of these tires, especially as they have lost their tread. My mom (former owner) and I both felt the poor traction of these tires and never felt secure under any questionable weather (a common occurrence in New England) and stopping distances were atrocious! Now that I have been told that they are barely safe and will not make it to winter, I have decided to try to find tires that have extreme all season performance and grip without the need to change the tires every winter. I have looked into All Terrain and wondering whether its worth the ride discomfort/ drop in fuel economy (if at all) Comment All Recommendations! Are you still using the OEM tires and having the same poor results?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Continental Pro Contact Eco Plus (All Season) are rated high in general and for Snow in particular by Consumer Reports.
The best solution are Winter/Snow/Ice tires where Michelin ranks high.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After 85,000 long miles on my 04 MDX, it is time to replace the tires (goodyear integrity, they were replaced before i bought it certified). I was never satisfied with the snow or wet performance of these tires, especially as they have lost their tread. My mom (former owner) and I both felt the poor traction of these tires and never felt secure under any questionable weather (a common occurrence in New England) and stopping distances were atrocious! Now that I have been told that they are barely safe and will not make it to winter, I have decided to try to find tires that have extreme all season performance and grip without the need to change the tires every winter. I have looked into All Terrain and wondering whether its worth the ride discomfort/ drop in fuel economy (if at all) Comment All Recommendations! Are you still using the OEM tires and having the same poor results?

General Grabber's. Use them on all my vehicles and work great in NE Ohio snow.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The Goodyear Integrities were notorious for having poor wet traction, and not so great performance in other conditions. Their only redeeming quality was their low rolling resistance, which would result in better fuel economy than an identical vehicle and driver equipped with other tires. I'm not sure how old the Integrity model line is (probably 12+ years), but there should be lots of tires on the market today, with newer technology, that will easily surpass their performance. I'd say pretty much most big brand name tires would be miles ahead of the GY's, especially in wet traction performance and braking distances.

I think you can get good year-round performance without having to resort to purchasing all terrain tires. Tire Rack has a pretty good comparison chart based on the reviews of tire owners. See the following links for the tires that fit your MDX:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=CSTAS&width=235/&ratio=65&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2004&autoModel=MDX&autoModClar=
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS&width=235/&ratio=65&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2004&autoModel=MDX&autoModClar=
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ST&width=235/&ratio=65&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Acura&autoYear=2004&autoModel=MDX&autoModClar=

Also, if you're more focused on a tire that performs well in winter, the Nokian WRG3 line is an all season tire that has a bias towards winter performance. I believe that the trade-off with them is that they tend to be priced noticeably higher than average and don't seem to last quite as long as a comparably priced all season tire.

If fuel economy is more of a concern, the Bridgestone Dueler Ecopia line would likely do the best in that department.

In all, you have lots of choices and I think you'll be able to find a tire that fits most of your critera. It's not hard to upgrade from the Goodyear Integrities, as they've set the bar pretty low. Please let us know what tires you end up choosing and what you think of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help! I have decided on the General Grabber HTS. They were fairly well priced, not rated horribly by Consumer Reports, and had better snow traction than similar tires, i'm getting them installed next week and I'll share my thoughts on looks and performance, leaving the tire store my car skidded just trying to leave parking lot!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Best of luck, they have always worked well for me. Run on my Ridgeline and Pilot. Our MDX had new tires when we purchased it so when they wear down I will get Generals.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: I have had the tires on the car for a little less than a day and really enjoy the comfortable ride and generally good overall handling, I will try to update this forum again after a winter storm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Always liked Nokians. Longest lasting and best traction tire I've used over the years. A little bit rougher ride but worth it in the area I live where snow and ice is 8 months of the year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The generals are very reassuring on water and snow, luckily no ice encounters yet, now that I moved to New Hampshire im in the market for some real snow tires, there have been many occasions when other sedans and suvs were getting stuck in parking lots, with VTM 4-Lock engaged I glided right past them

·
Registered
17 Posts
Love my Nokians

I put WR G2 snow tires on our '13 MDX and after 3 winters I am very happy with them.
Never got stuck, even after 10+ inches of snow storms, they handle slush well and are
reasonably quiet on dry pavement. Previously used Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV tires on a
Chrysler 300C sedan, and those worked just fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our '03 MDX had new Mastercraft Courser HSX tires when we bought it at 110K. I've been very happy with them in all conditions and snow as well here in New England. Getting ready to replace them with another set at 174K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires. I did quite a lot of research and found these to be highly rated. Plus, I've had great experience with Michelin tires. One year, we were driving our MDX through a blizzard on the NY state thruway. No other cars still on the road. Came up to a police car and snowplow blocking the road. My wife casually asked the policeman "What seems to be the problem officer?" He responded "Highway's closed due to the blizzard". We had been driving around 50 mph and were having no problems at all. Hence my satisfaction with Michelin in the snow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
@egokcen Very good choice on the Michelin and thanks for sharing your experience with then. My girlfriend has Michelin set and is very happy with then.

I went to discount tire on black friday and got a set of continental controlcontact which I think is the discount tire version of the continental dws so I'll see how they handel and report back. I have had only good to say about Michelin, Pirelli and Bridgestone and regretted purchasing good year and Yokohama all seasons.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A good summary to my findings is that while you can find relatively good all season tires that can somewhat do good in the snow, if you have to drive in potentially icey roads, or on roads that have an inch or so of snow or more, I'd recommend getting a set of snow tires, even the cheapest snow tires will outperform most all seasons. I completely understand it's hard to have to switch out tires and potentially rims (if you do it properly) so I did find a tire by Toyo called celcius, its rated for heavy snow service but can be used year round, they last pretty long but do cost extra, but definitely not as much as buying 4 snow tires AND 4 all season tires. I saw that this thread had a lot of views and figured I'd do a quick summary. My view has definitely changed due to my move from Rhode Island to New Hampshire. Be safe MDXers and good luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am very surprised to be writing this but my MDX came with a unheard-of tire brand named Sailun. When I found out they were Chinese made tires, I wanted them gone ASAP...but the seller put them on brand new (2 weeks before the sale) and I thought I'd give them a chance since they are new. My other vehicle (non Acura) had Gislaved Nordfrost 100s but the AWD wasn't working and the handling wasn't very good. We recently had a snowfall and I tried the Sailuns and I have to say that they are better than I thought. The ones I got were Sailun Terramax all seasons. Stopping in snow and wet pavement was decent, much better than the Bridgestone Destinations and Michelin Primacies I have used in the past on my other SUV. I know, different car, different feel, but on the MDX, the Sailuns have impressed me, especially for winter driving. That is not an endorsement in any way, but just a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
95 Posts
  1. grabbers are not what I consider an all-season. Also they're noisy.(er)
  2. Firestone Destination LE/2 good allseason, medium price
  3. for snow you want big tread and wide gaps, but those are also noisy.
  4. for rain you want wide channels and many cross lines , I forget official terminology, to let the water flow out.
  5. Primacy are long-life quiet fair weather tires. IMO.
  6. Still wouldn't trust the Chinese and cheap tires. Rubber may not last or be sticky in all temperatures - too brittle or hard in cold for good traction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts