Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are an "Old-Timer" how about posting a sentence or two and let us know how it's going with your MDX. Do you still own it? How many miles on the odometer? Have you had to replace the tires and if so at what mileage.

I don't consider myself an "Old-Timer", I'm probably a "Mid-Timer", but really enjoyed some of the input from some of the original members when I first started posting in mid 2002. I suspect there are many of the long time members that log on from time to time but do not post. If that's the case then how is it going old-timer?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi everyone. Good thread topic Mr. Eagle!

My 2002 MDX has 30,000 miles and I still love it. Considering trading it in for a 2004 while the mileage is still relatively low and it has decent trade-in value.

My only complaint is that the vehicle is no longer a rarity- there are hundreds of them around here (Seattle)!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
BaldEagle I guess I might be considered an old-timer on this message board but a newbie about owning an MDX. I just picked it up on Monday! :2: It only has 200 miles so far.

Good to hear from you again.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Good topic, Bald 1. Waaaaaal, I ain't as spry as I used to be, now that I am in my new rest home, my eyesight is failing, and now I pop Advil BEFORE I play tennis in addition to afterwards.....but as for muh X, it is a lively as a spring chicken in a rooster coop.

Only 26,000 miles (I travel by plane a lot) with nary a problem, 'cept for that crack in the windshield from a flying tumbleweed I got near Lubbock.

Now where DID I put my walker........

:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
hi

had my X since oct,2001.

no major problems after 37,000+ mi.
traveled a lot already with it. From Illinois to Miami. Illinois to Virginia.
Florida to California and never failed me.

i'd still say the navigation is still the best accesory on my X. I could not imagine travelling these amount of mileage without the navigation. It paid me lot already with worry-free driving with my wife during all these travels.

i hope i could keep it for another 5-7 years.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Good thread! Tim & I were just talkin' about old timers the other day!

Been around since 11/29/00 and still goin'...along with the X. Just a hair over 20k on the car (around-town driving, mostly) with no major problems...needs an alignment and balance, tho.

Funny BostonX (from Seattle :confused: ) mentions the # of X's on the road. I see far more X's (and Pilots) on the road around here than RX300/330 and ML's.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I guess I qualify, sinced my rank is "traflo". My mahogany is going in for its 33,750 mile oil change this Friday, as well as to try to fix a failed "bun warmer" in the driver's seat. There have been a few problems -- EGR, SRS sensor in the passenger seat, throttle cable bracket "buzz" (fixed it myself) -- but none that weren't taken care of quickly. Goodyears were replaced by Cross-Terrains at 30,700 mi; they weren't to the wear bars yet, but a tad too close for comfort with winter coming up. I'd get another one in a heartbeat, but not before she's at least eight years old -- maybe ten or twelve!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MDteX said:
BaldEagle I guess I might be considered an old-timer on this message board but a newbie about owning an MDX. I just picked it up on Monday! :2: It only has 200 miles so far.

Good to hear from you again.
That has got to be the record for this site: Longest time being a member before purchasing an MDX. Congratulations on your new ride. :7:

MDtex, So far on this thread you also are the oldest member (earliest to register octavain), registering here two weeks before TheWorm.

So far also on this thread the member posting that has been inactive the longest, BostonX, last prior posting was on 11/4/03.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Picked my 02 up in August of 02 and only have 13,000 miles on it. No problems expect for the 2 recalls and ticking noise up front which the dealer took care of. Still a pleasure to drive!!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
BaldEagle said:
That has got to be the record for this site: Longest time being a member before purchasing an MDX. Congratulations on your new ride. :7:

MDtex, So far on this thread you also are the oldest member (earliest to register octavain), registering here two weeks before TheWorm.

So far also on this thread the member posting that has been inactive the longest, BostonX, last prior posting was on 11/4/03.
I knew I was the "oldest" member without an MDX. I stayed current and active through all that time, reading the threads from A4L, D'mor, Remery, Road Runner, AArdvarkus, and of course The Worm and BaldEagle!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi there,

Had my X since April '01 and had the thud, the brake clunk, the dripping mirrors, the cracked windshield, the misaligned glovebox door, the kazoo, the "popping" driver's seat, nav screen blackout, "check engine"/ VTM light on, defective rear defroster (did I forget anything?). No tranny/engine problems. Changed tires at 56k after I had a flat while doing 80mph. Could've gotten just 2 tires but decided to go for a "package deal" from my dealer: all 4 tires (Michelins) plus balancing for $720. Changed rear pads at 65K. So far we put 70K miles on it and still runs and looks great and we love it. In fact we love it so much we got a second one, an '04 Touring/Nav/RES that has been flawless so far (1300 miles).
http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15880

Happy MDX-ing!

ubik

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Old timer on the board, I guess....

.....but have owned my '03 MDX since Dec. '02, like one or two others here. Started lurking on this website around November of 2000 and finally registered and started posting in Feb of 2001!

I now have a little over 23,000 miles on my MDX. I must say that I've enjoyed posting, debating and on occasions voicing my contradictory positions on some discussions!! :) . Other oldtimers will know that my favorite passtime on here is devoted to praising, promoting and telling the world about the greatness of Honda's Navigation System ;) . Besides that, I've found this board very helpful and useful, and most people on here seem to have an open mind to accept differing points of view!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
BaldEagle said:
Hey! It's been a busy year! Moved to Seattle from Boston last April (hence the mystery of being "BostonX" from Seattle). Drove the 'X across country too, what a ride!
Had another kid in October 2002.
Been busy planning and building a house.

I'll try to check in more frequently!

·
Registered
470 Posts
ol' timer checkin in (from oct 2000)
our 01 NBP is still alive and kicking--she's around 48000mi already and running great. had the typical problems: thud, weeping mirrors, door dings, but we still love her. my friend is driving her around town for now, especially since we've got another one sitting in the garage.

actually, that should be a pretty good new topic...how many 2001 owners purchased the mildly restyled 2004 edition?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
We've had our 2001 MDX since October 6, 2000. I was excited about the new MDX and had put a refundable deposit on it in May, 2000.

I've pasted in some of this from a previous post, and added to it.

Negative Side:

- An occasional rattle would come and go. Don't have one currently.

- Had the not-a-recall recall applied (affected the first 2,500 or so) with a problem with the belt/airbag sensor.

- Had the radio faceplate replaced under the TSB, but our buttons never went dead beforehand (fairly frequent problem in the first model year).

- A bit too much jiggle in the seats, another famous problem.

- Have the infamous the shift-gear click/clack/clunk.

- Curiously, the carpet in the footwell wore out very quickly. This was replaced under warranty as a one-time "good will" item though I'm gonna scream if it goes out again. Carpet seems to be low quality and does not wear well.

- Had one, and only one, incident of a very violent tranmission shudder. Came when the vehicle was aimed sharply downhill and stopped at a mailbox, perhaps under some stranger stop/shift conditions. We've got our fingers crossed on the transmission, but have not had an incident since.

- Have the infamous seat pillar door nicks.

- The leather of the driver's seat showed a lot of creases very early and continues to do so. Even with cleaning and conditioning with Lexol. Definitely lower quality leather in the 2000's, probably better with the 2004.

- The spare tire hoist broke because Acura roadside assistance used a power tool to pull it back up (when there's a label that says don't use power tools). Fixed under warranty. Of course, there should be some kind of ratchet in the hoist so it can't be overturned, so this is as much a design issue as it is a roadside assistance issue.

- Have had the windshield replaced twice because of cracking. Dunno if this is an indication of thin 2001 glass or not. The replacements may have actually helped ...

- Tons of wind noise around the windshield (improved in later model years). The replacements seemed to have helped.

- Strangely, have never had the weeping mirrors problem that bedeviled the 2001's. And we live in Seattle where it rains quite a bit!!

- Had the ever-popular EGR valve problem (indicated by Check Engine light coming on, often in conjunction with the VTM-4 problem light). EGR valve replaced.

All in all, the vehicle has done well, especially for a first-year vehicle of a relatively new design and production run (arguably the most complex vehicle mass-produced by Honda when it first came out). However, it's far from perfect and not as bulletproof as some would expect from Honda/Acura. And the relative weakness of the materials quality is not making the vehicle age gracefully.

I've considered trading in for a 2004 but even with buying an extended warranty, I still can't justify it financially. Hard to get good price breaks on MDX's in this area too. I'll probably end up getting an extended warranty and running through October 2007 before I replace it. I am definitely concerned about the transmission, so I want the extended warranty. Eventually Honda will probably extend the transmission warranty to 100k as it has with other vehicles, but who knows when they'll do this.

Okay, here's the PLUS side:

- Still think it's an almost ideal blend of power, handling, and ride. No, it's not a sports sedan, and it does have a bit too much body roll, but it acquits itself well for a 2.25+ ton vehicle. The power's been great for climbing mountain passes and confident passing on one-lane-each-way roads.

- Great utility through its excellent cargo room. Swallows up overloaded Costco shopping carts, sometimes even allowing the closing of the cargo cover!

- Plenty of room for passengers.

I agree that there are now too many in the Seattle area. They're all over the place now. When we bought ours, we enjoyed over a year of relative exclusivity. Even after two years, people would come up to us and tell us how hard it was to get one and how they wanted one.

Will the next-gen MDX be the same kind of home run, or just an evolutionary improvement? We'll see.

·
Registered
671 Posts
My 02 has about 29,000 miles on it; the wife drives it almost exclusively. No major complaints and I expect it to earn it's keep in our pending move this coming June.

·
Registered
446 Posts
April 2001, 38K miles and no major problems. We had all the fixes previously mentioned done. Still running on the original Goodyear’s. Got a couple rattles but with the roads we have around here that’s normal. We still don’t see any MDX’s on a regular basis so I guess we are still the only one in town. We switched to the local Honda dealer for service starting with the 30K service. Still leery about the 01 transmissions and probably will sell it this time next year before the warranty runs out. The short list for replacement at this point will be a 05 MDX base or an Infiniti G35 AWD sedan. I know that’s apples to oranges but my wife just loves the G35. We were at the Cleveland auto show yesterday and I couldn’t get her away from them.:D

Niles

·
Registered
250 Posts
My 2002, purchased Dec, 2001, has a little over 33,000
miles. So far, I have had NO problems. Just regular
service trips to the dealer.

I guess the weakest part I see at this time is the driver's
seat shows more wear, than I would like. I have treated the
leather on a regular basis, but still do not like how the
driver's seat looks.

The Michelin's tread still looks great. I should get at least mid to high 40s out of them.

Zaino has kept the exterior looking new.

Hokie...

1 - 20 of 381 Posts