Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm going to admit it right up front. This is probably the nit-pickiest observation that you'll ever have to contend with from me. It's not like the world revolves around cupholders!

BUT:
The MDX cupholders are too small. I'm glad that there are 63,946 cupholders in my lovely MDX, however I'd trade all of them for two really big ones right next to me. You see I like Diet Cokes (with extra ice). Really, really big ones. No shot glasses or thimbles for me please. IMHO, 44, 48 and 64 ounces are the only drinks worthy of having.

I am aware of why this problem exists. It is a cultural issue. The rest of the world doesn't understand American drink values. In my travels to Japan and to Europe, I have nearly died of dehydration! One time in Europe I couldn't get a decent sized Diet Coke for breakast (I take my morning caffeine cold, thank you). I kept asking for a bigger glass each morning at breakfast in our hotel. The largest glass they had was one that a fancy restaurant in the US would serve fresh squeezed orange juice in. They would also NOT under any circumstances part with more than three anemic ice cubes even though I asked for extra, extra ice (if I didn't I got only one ice cube). Apparently ice is more valuable than gold in Europe.

I finally found the solution one morning. On each floor in the hotel there was a cute little ice machine. Next to the ice machine were cute little paper ice buckets. These ice buckets were just smaller than the size of a Big Gulp. In fact, if you'd added the logo to it, it would have passed for a Big Gulp. Perfect! On the way down to breakfast I filled up the ice bucket halfway with ice and then took it to the restaurant. I just handed it to the server and asked them to fill it with Diet Coke. She looked at me like I had handed her a kiddie wading pool and asked her to fill it with Diet Coke. But she did it and she got a very nice tip.

So, now that we've established that I clearly have issues regarding cups, cup holders, etc...

My question is:
Is there any way to add an adapter or something that will allow these shot glass holders to hold a real drink securely?

--- Mark

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
So, I guess you're kinda pissed off... read this.

Highly Engineered Cup Holders

MDX engineers conducted a major cupholder R+D program to maximize the new MDX's occupant-friendly factor. The first thing they learned was the daunting array of beverage containers in daily use - rectangular juice boxes, 12-ounce cans, 20-ounce bottles, various-sized paper cups, insulated coffee cups, and bottled-water vessels. Ten beverage holders were designed into the MDX's interior to accommodate a variety of passenger needs.

Innovation was necessary to accommodate as many different sizes and types of containers as possible and to securely retain them during stopping and cornering. For example, pockets built into the bottom portion of the rear door trim are purposely deep to hold either a 550-ml pop bottle or larger bottled-water containers. Cup holders moulded into the armrest areas near the third-row seat feature notches necessary to accommodate juice boxes. Cup holders positioned near the centre of the vehicle (two ahead of the storage console, two built into the console lid's inside surface, and two more integrated with the fold-down second-row armrest) have stepped bottom surfaces to grab and hold different-diameter containers. Front-seat cup holders are a three-tier design with a rubber lip to help restrain a teetering container. Third row cup holders are also a three-tier design, but without a rubber lip, while second-seat cup holders are a slightly shallower two-tier design.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey, you wanna talk cupholders...I love my wife's BMW 530i, BUT, it really does not even have one! Oh, sure, there is that little flimsy thing that pops out out of the dash, but it is totaly useless. Doesn't even hold a 12 oz can of Diet Coke!

In comparason, the MDX cupholder is really quite cavernous!

I guess its all perspective.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I'm not pissed off at all. I love the MDX, I just want a way to make my Super Big Gulp not become a Super Big Bath :)

--- Mark

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
There are large cups that will fit. Took a trip a month ago and bought a 44 oz Diet Coke at a gas station with a minimart. The 44 oz cup had a narrow base and fit perfect in the MDX cup holder. Saved the cup for a week or so but unfortunatly it got thrown out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
MarkRan said:
...This is probably the nit-pickiest observation that you'll ever have to contend with from me
Well, maybe from you, but we have other members...:2: Yeah, I agree, they're kinda pathetic. The cup holders, I mean.

·
Registered
699 Posts
ByeByeChrysler said:
...Highly Engineered Cup Holders

...Ten beverage holders were designed into the MDX's interior to accommodate a variety of passenger needs.

Innovation was necessary to accommodate as many different sizes and types of containers as possible and to securely retain them during stopping and cornering...
This is all just marketing speak for: "We wanted to maximize the number of cupholders so we look good on paper, so we stuck them everywhere, sized to fit each nook and cranny (but without regard to actual bevarage sizes)."

·
Registered
126 Posts
cupholders

Funny post! Anyway, I am the exact opposite. Most BMWs do not even come with cupholders as you are supposed to be driving them (I can't imagine trying to drink anything while driving my M3 - would be all over me).

There are several aftermarket designs that you are looking for. They fit into the smaller, 12 oz can designed holes and adjust to just about any size 7-11 behemouth. Try autozone/pep boys for the ratcheting one that I found for my wife (who thinks more like you) ;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just spent 4300 miles in my X and drank a variety of things like 12 oz. cans of diet pepsi, etc., various sizes of plastic bottles of water, and even bottles of Arizona Ice Tea (which have never fit in any cuphold in any car I've owned before) and they all fit! Therefore, I rate the X as 'excellent' in the cupholder catergory.

BTW -- we stopped at a restaurant in Wisconsin, ordered diet cokes and got small juice glasses with about three small pieces of ice and a CAN of diet coke. How pitiful! By the time the coke can was empty, there was no ice left in the glass, and the coke not been refrigerated --- yum, yum, warm coke for lunch, my favorite!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I love the cupholder in 'X. So far, I have no problem to fit 12oz, 20oz, coffee mug, and a 750ml spring water bottle/can in the 'X. With my older car ('93 Maxima) if I do sudden break or fast acceleration, I will be shampooing the interior, but none of this happen in the 'X yet.

:2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts