Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is is a Luxury Vehicle? Well it has fake wood, vinyl seats w/leather accents, shares the majority of its components with the Accord/Odyssey/and Civic. Shifter and dashboard look like it came from my 1987 Accord. No stability control, no teleassist. No unique gadgets, toys. I don't think so.

Just go and compare the quality of the materials. features and available comforts of the MDX with the ML. I test drove a MDX and ML on the same day. No comparison, ML was much better.

Is it (MDX) a SUV? Can't take it off road as there is no low range, no 4ETS. (unless you count dirt roads as several MDX owners do). As delivered, can't tow anything, it will overheat. Needs addon coolers. Built on a mini-Van chassis as a result does not have much payload, is not durable. Engine and transmission are from passenger vehicles. Requires much more maintenance. With ML you get 4 years maintenance included, free loaner car.

Is it safe? It is built on a mini-van chassis. Its unitized body will not hold up well in rear enders, and if it rolls over the roof will cave in as does the majority of SUVs built on car chassis. (Don't worry, the Mercedes has proven the ML can survive this type of abuse.) Cheap Honda seats will break in rear enders. No rear airbags, no curtain airbags. Front side airbags are built into the seat. If you are not setting perfectly straight a sensor (hard to do in an accident) will turn them off. Otherwise they will blow you into the dash. Does not sound safe to me. My brother in law owns a salvage company. He sees wreaked vehicles ever day. The only vehicles he will get into are built by Mercedes and Volvo. Says Hondas are some of the worst for holding up in an accident.

Even the name Acura is fake. This is a brand of snake oil that Honda cooked up so that people would not balk at paying $40K for a Honda. An Acura is an expensive Honda, nothing more. There are no Acura plants and the brand does not exist outside NA. The MDX is built in a Honda mini-van factory. In Honda's home market of Japan, Mercedes-Benz is a highly coveted vehicle. (I've been there) Hondas are looked at (as they are) as a vehicle for the masses.

On the other hand, the ML shares components with much more expensive vehicles. It is also built in a factory that was designed exclusively for this series vehicle. In addition, Mercedes-Benz is one of the largest truck makers in the world. Honda doe not have truck technology. Which one would do you think will sell you a real luxury truck, and which is building the poser.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi, Lester.

After at least four posts in this vein, I think you've persuaded everyone you're going to persuade.

- ablank

·
Registered
420 Posts
You can talk a lot about luxury all day, but at the end of the day, I'll take a "poser" luxury reliable vehicle over the luxury but unreliable vehicle. It is a well known fact that ML's are not the most reliable vehicles out there.

And talking about building plants, If Im buying a "german" automobile, I want it made in Germany, not in the US. Its been shown that german car are nice cars, when they are built in Germany.

And in terms of safety,the MDX is a best pick by the IIHS, tied with the X5 (and better than the M class). And I can testify by experience of the actual real life safety of the MDX.

Anyways, enjoy your ML and the advantage of free loaner cars, you're gonna be using them quite a bit.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ablank,

good point.
So Lester, nobody is taking (spending... losing...) the time to talk to you anymore on your previous and very repetitive MDX attacks.

So why do you have to start new threads ? Are you that lonely ? Love confrontation ? Live for a flame war ?

Enjoy whatever your driving, have a merry christmas and for next year, try to find a new hobby instead of this type of posts.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Congrats, TiminCharlotte/Lester! You've got your own poll!

Click Here to vote in the "What to do with Lester89" poll.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The reason Lester has the time to write all these
BS posts about the MDX is because he is angry that his M-class spends most of it's time being repaired. I'm willing to wager that once all the bugs are finally fixed....we won't be hearing from
ole Lester anymore.
Lester trade in that piece of junk (ML) and get a more reliable MDX!!!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Dear Lester the MDX Molester,
Good luck with your ML purchase, but be careful not to drop the hood on your thumb since I heard it is held up with a strut not spring loaded like another vehicle near and dear to all of us. Anyway enjoy your new wheels.:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lester,

Your an idiot and mad that you could not get an MDX. My friend had to settle for an ML and there is a substantial difference between the two, so I doubt you even test drove an MDX. Go to your own board and complain, maybe they will care.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Poser? Really?

Acura MADE NO statements on the MDX as being a RUGGED SUV.

1)Acura was PROVEN from the National Highway Safety as one of the TOP three SUVs that has a GOOD head on crash test and angle side way crash tested. Among the other three was the new 2002 Explorer and BMW X5. I DO NOT SEE THE ML as being ONE of them do you?

2) Acura have never EVER made statements that the SUV will be a rugged SUV able to go off road.
3) Acura DID state CLEARLY that this is an SUV made for the the surburbans and for LIGHT off road usage.
4) Clearly the sales guy from Mercedes did a BETTER job of pulling wools over your eyes...WHICH IS OKAY!
5) BUT please do not pontificate by saying that ACURA is a poser..IT IS not. When selling their cars or SUVs they state what the limitations of EACH vehicle.SADLY for the ML when it was first debut...Mercedes FAIL to state the limitation of its vehicle and the QUALITY of its vehicle therefore...Causes a lot of heartaches for die-hard MB fans. HERE IS ONE PRIME example...The ML was first promoted in a movie called JURASSIC PARK II. Within that MOVIE the ML was "POSED" as a rugged SUV having GREAT speed capabilities and prowess under the harsh JUNGLE CONDITIONS at Jurassic PARK through the camera lens and special effects. Problem with that..the movie goers and ML die hards RUSH out the buy the piece of **** and ends up having their level of expectations severed at the KNEES by FORKING OUT 40K plus for a "VAN" that does nothing BUT POSED.
6) That is WHY today...MB seen the heart-aches and HAD to build a BETTER SUV that is more rugged and more safer and much more performance riched.
7) With all of the feed backs from ACURA users and such...I guarantee you that the MDX will metamorphis into a MUCH better SUV and MUCH more rugged SUV based on what the customer BASED and other future buyers would like from the MDX in terms of FEATURE SETS.

REMEMBER...ALL OF THE BIG name magazines DID NOT vote the MDX as SUV of the YEAR for NOTHING..Remember there are STRICT criteria that goes into what earn the vehicle that recognition.

so please...before you go BASHING on ANY vehicle..make sure you DO YOUR HOMEWORK before YOU PONTIFICATE...okay.

Enough said.

Fireblade6
"Life Begins at 180MPH"

·
Registered
679 Posts
:p Hey Lester89, based on your laughable post I'm gonna guess that "89" is your IQ, which is actually pretty good for a troll :D Now run on back to your MClass forum over at http://www.HowComeWeKeepLosingToTheMDX.org so you can continue your jealous rants in the company of others who share your same delusion. Hmmm...if the MDX is a poser, I wonder what that says about the Land Cruiser, RX, X5, and MClass it beat out for the title of "Best Truck" in the category of "Luxury SUV", per C&D. The only "posing" the MDX does is for photographers while parked at the top of the winner's platform in every head to head review with the MClass ever written, with the possible exception of those written by MB salespeople :p Perhaps I should go over to the MClass forum and post a new topic entitled "MClass is a loser". Nah, people who drive an MClass already have enough problems to deal with without me picking on them, like wondering if their windows will go all the way up :p

P.S. Don't worry Lester, I think you still have time to ask Santa for an MDX :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
When you test drove both SUVs did you get to test the low range, 4ETS, stability control, or towing capabilities of the ML?

Or on the MDX, did you incur any problems with overheating, engine transmission problems, maintenance matters, rear end collision that caused the unitized body to not hold up well? Did you sustain any injuries from a front side airbag injury not deploying, or rear passenger injury resulting from not having curtain airbag?

One other note: having an in-law that owns a salvage yard doesn't engrave an opinion into stone...
*Like I've said before: opinions are like armpits, everyone has them and they usually all stink.

Enjoy your ML!!! I know I do.

*FYI, I enjoy the MDX MUCH-MUCH MORE!!!! If I die in a car accident, I hope it's in the MDX... :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
...hum...

Personaly.. I love Benz, but M class is not a good Benz as it should be.
The 02 ML lets you get the optional 7 seat, how ever, it's not that good.
If you load the ML with same accessories as the MDX, you'll end up paying 15000 more.
and the RX300 is just way too small.. the seats were not much bigger then my old Altima..
However, if you really did test drive the 02 MDX, you'll find it's really easy to handle.
(It's funny how it's eaiser to make U-turns on MDX than on my old 96 Altima.)
Just to be fair, the MB does apear to have nicer toys in it, but is it worth the extra 15000(before tax)??
Not to mention the ML have less HP and lower MPG rating..
The turth won't be changed by your words or mine.
What I know is my fiends who have ML 320 wanted MDX, but he is still suffering from the high price.
Last.. this is a free site for people who like MDX.. so if you hate it so much.. why post here?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Expected Comments don't chang Facts

Hehe, I guess the truth hurts. I have yet to see any response which disputes any of the facts I listed in my original post. Instead you call me names, create polls, throw barbs at Mercedes-Benz and yet you have nothing to say which proves me wrong. All of this is a classic sign that you have no argument.

And yes I did post this on an Acura forum as Acura owners always have to prove their "Honda" is as good as a Mercedes-Benz. Wake up, you have a Honda, not a Benz.

The MDX is a poser!:p :p :p It is not a truck, suv, nor could be considered to be in the luxury category. I guess if you are happy with Hondas, then the MDX is for you.

Otherwise, next time buy Mercedes-Benz.:D :D :D

See you soon.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Expected Comments don't chang Facts

Lester89 said:
Hehe, I guess the truth hurts. I have yet to see any response which disputes any of the facts I listed in my original post. Instead you call me names, create polls, throw barbs at Mercedes-Benz and yet you have nothing to say which proves me wrong. All of this is a classic sign that you have no argument.

And yes I did post this on an Acura forum as Acura owners always have to prove their "Honda" is as good as a Mercedes-Benz. Wake up, you have a Honda, not a Benz.

The MDX is a poser!:p :p :p It is not a truck, suv, nor could be considered to be in the luxury category. I guess if you are happy with Hondas, then the MDX is for you.

See you soon.

DUMB-ASS...read my post to you in which I point OUT facts to back up what an MDX is versus what your MB(Mommies Bus) ML is from its hay-day to today.

I bet you dont even take your Mommies bus off road. Am willing to bet you are TOO afraid to scratch your 50K van. And am willing to bet my X can kick your Mommies Bus All over the street..Winding roads, straight away, in traffic and outa traffic.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lester89 said:
I guess if you are happy with Hondas, then the MDX is for you.

LesterIQof89, I hate to break this to you, but calling the MD-X a Honda is no insult. The MClass can only dream of ever approaching the quality and reliability of a Honda, and everyone with an open mind knows it.

But don't take my word for it, read the words of a Certified Mercedes-Benz Technician. According to MBTech208:

"If you want an economical and trouble-free 200,000 miles, buy a Lexus RX300 or an Acura MD-X. You can't beat the Japanese for reliability."

Link to full thread: ( http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1780 )

Here's what else the Certified Mercedes-Benz Technician had to say about the MClass:

"Of the several MBUSA buyback's we have had at my dealership since I've been there, ML's accounted for every one of them. If I ever own an ML, I'm going to get personalized license plates that say "BUYBACK"" :p

Link to full thread: ( http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=240 )

And at that same thread above, you can read the words of poor sosh:

"What you do not understand is that I have owned this ML500 since Aug 24th, Thats almost 12 weeks. Of the 12 weeks I have only driven it an aggregate time of about 4 weeks. Is been in the shop. I have put more miles on dealer loaners than my ML and in fact I have yet to have the car washed as the dealer does it prior to return to me. I really do not want the thing replaced as I feel I may have to start all over again de bugging another. What else is there to do?? I will not put up with this for 3 years."

Happy with Honda? Absolutely, the fact that the MDX is a Honda is one of the primary reasons many of us picked the MDX :)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Interesting posts/quotes, Gator...

Ya know, if the MDX were built by Mercedes rather than Honda, I'd probably be driving an LX470 right now... ;)

I can understand why some folks might feel the Honda carryover switchgear might not be as "desirable" as the Mercedes all-auto windows. But at least they friggin' work. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, let's see....looking at the last 4 cars my family has owned:

87 Honda Accord--other than routine maintenance, only repair in 13 years was a clutch going out after 12 years, and two teenagers learning to drive on it. Not bad for Honda quality.

95 Mustang GT--after 7 years, only have replaced a wheel bearing, plus routine maintenance.

Acura MDX--1 year old, haven't even taken to the dealer for warranty service--can't find anything to complain about!

97 Mercedes E Class--my wife's dream car--so she thought--multiple electrical shorts, lights burning out 3-4 per year, remote access system quit working, transmission went out on vacation, and had to take to 3 dealers ,and $2000 in repair costs, before properly fixed! had to replace fuel injector, can't keep front end in alignment, alarm system malfunction, Air conditioner failure, .....yes, Lester is right--Mercedes has proven its quality in my family!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gator....you da man....thanks for pointed out the MB forum URL's.....gee, based on little lester's comments, I was plumb ready to trade in my MB wannabee and get the real thing. ;)

Not!

It was very illuminating seeing what MB owners are saying about their SUV. Being a previous MB owner (86 300E) I really like their cars. But I am not blind to their imperfections.

I used to work for the #1 MB salesman in the country (now in another business) and he told me the ML320 was simply not up to the usual MB standards of excellence. This was in 1999. I am sure MB has gotten the kinks out.....took them 4 years to replace the "cheap plastic parts" aluded to below....just one comment from the MB forum which I found interesting, considering little lester's harping on the plastic wood in the MDX.

"ikravchenko

My wifw just got the new '02 ML320
My wife just got the new '02 ML320! We traded our '98 ML in.
Wow! This is much improved car! No cheap plastic parts!"

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.