Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 144k on my car. Have not had engine related codes since I owned the car to indicate a problem. It drove "fine" though it's always seemed a little slow to respond to the gas pedal, and to downshift after turning a corner to accelerate away. It has also had a slightly rough cold idle that I attributed to the overdue valve lash service I intend to do later this summer.

I had been looking at items some people say should be proactively replaced in the 100-150k range for best performance or fuel economy. One of them was the MAP sensor. For $40 on a quality aftermarket part, I figured why not. I used a SMP AS191.

Wow it made a big difference. The cold idle is smooth now. It feels much peppier when pressing the gas pedal, and it downshifts faster at low speeds (most noticeable accelerating away from a corner).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I tried to change mine proactively like you mentioned, but the head of the screw that holds it in is stripped. I thought about taking a pair of vice grips to it but I really don't want to break the screw/bolt and have to deal with the aftermath of that for a sensor that may not need to be replaced. Any tips on getting the screw out?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine rounded the phillips head out too, but it had the place for a slotted screwdriver and that worked fine for me. If yours rounded out both or doesn't have the slotted side you have a couple of options.

They make a paste you can buy to get better grip on somewhat rounded Phillips screws.

You can get an impact screwdriver, but I'd be careful with that as they can generate some high downward force as you hit them to rotate.

If the screw is totally shredded you can cut a fresh slot for a regular screwdriver with a hacksaw, or my favorite a rotozip.

If the head breaks off or that doesn't work, just cut the head off using either of the above tools. When you pull out the Map sensor you'll have plenty of screw shaft to use some pliers or vice grips and screw it out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Please update us on how its running after a few thousand miles. I'm thinking of trying this on my 2002 as it has an intermittent idle stumble sometimes.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Edmmdx, if you're overdue for a valve adjustment it can affect idle. As can a bad PCV valve (or yeah, about three dozen other things). ;-)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks Habby,
I've already done the valve adjustments, new plugs and pcv cleaning/ replacement last year. That seemed to make the idle better afterwards but on few occasions still wants to idle at 600-650 ish for a moment. At this point is when the stumbling occurs and normal right after at 700 rpm ish.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Hard to say what could cause a very tiny intermittent stumble. I tend to ignore stuff like that. ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts