Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda rolls out high-end hand-built Acura SUV

Honda Motor Co. is applying its supercar know-how to a limited-edition sport-utility vehicle.

The automaker last weekend rolled out the first of just 330 Acura MDX PMC Editions to select dealerships for its luxury brand.

While the standard MDX is built at the East Liberty auto plant, this rare version is being constructed at the Performance Manufacturing Center in Marysville, which is the home of the Acura NSX supercar. That means much of the vehicle is hand-assembled by Honda’s most skilled technicians. For more insight into how the NSX is built and how the Performance Manufacturing Center works, click here.

The special MDX was described by the company as a combination of the MDX Advance Package with the sporty MDX A-Spec. Suggested retail price is $63,745.

Among the exclusive features to the vehicle include its Valencia Red Pearl nano pigment paint, which the company said is its highest quality, most vibrant paint; a numbered plaque; multiple gloss black features including wheels, roof panel, door handles and exterior mirrors; black Milano leather seats with red stitching, dimple leather-wrapped steering wheel with red stitching; and metal-finish paddle shifters.

Other features include the 10-speaker Acura ELS audio system, embedded navigation and the AcuraWatch suite of safety and driver assist technologies.

Just 330 are being built – 300 for the U.S. market and 30 for Canada.

It’s not the first time Honda has used that facility to create special vehicles. It did the same for the Acura TLX sedan as well last year.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Too bad it's just the standard 3.5 instead of the hybrid. You would think that a special performance-themed version of the car would at least have the sportiest powertrain if they weren't going to add anything that actually improves performance. Oh well

·
Registered
129 Posts
It’s a biggest joke from Acura....there is nothing very special about these 300 cars except the paint and the platform.
It’s still same HP, same design, same lagging infotainment, no wireless CarPlay

2014 MDX Tech FWD

·
Registered
266 Posts
I briefly drove an A-Spec TLX dealership loaner about a month ago, which I believe was built at the Performance Manufacturing Center. While the car was solid and drove nicely, there's nothing about it that surprised or wowed me. The appearance upgrades and finishing touches were probably nice; but since I took the car out at night they didn't stand out as much.

There are only so many NSX models that Acura can both build and sell, so I guess they are doing what they can to keep the facility and its workers from being idle.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It’s a biggest joke from Acura....there is nothing very special about these 300 cars except the paint and the platform.
It’s still same HP, same design, same lagging infotainment, no wireless CarPlay
Agreed, I had the exact same reaction to the stupid PMC TLX a while back. Trying to fake some performance image by taking a page out of Pontiac's playbook is doing way more to tarnish the image they now claim to be trying to get back to (the performance division of Honda).

On the other hand, I understand that the the design was largely baked in years ago so it's not like they can make major changes. They did bring back exposed exhaust tips in 2017!! By no later than the second model year of the 4th gen MDX, they MUST bring a proper type S variant.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Acura is selling just bcoz of ride quality and reliability. But if spending over $50k for a so called luxury, I will go for lessening a Merc or Jaguar. Jaguar do cover maintenance for 3 yrs.

2014 MDX Tech FWD

·
Registered
13 Posts
I briefly drove an A-Spec TLX dealership loaner about a month ago, which I believe was built at the Performance Manufacturing Center. While the car was solid and drove nicely, there's nothing about it that surprised or wowed me. The appearance upgrades and finishing touches were probably nice; but since I took the car out at night they didn't stand out as much.

There are only so many NSX models that Acura can both build and sell, so I guess they are doing what they can to keep the facility and its workers from being idle.
At first blush it looked pretty exciting until I saw the numbers. 300 for the US is a blip, and 30 for our Canadian friends is a micro-blip. I agree about the NSX build/sell ... pretty small too. Great to see folks busy. Idleness in the auto industry (or aerospace or just about anything) = layoffs and those are a bummer.

·
Registered
503 Posts
This got started half a century ago, when Ford was stuck with a lot of inventory of low-end cars. They copied the two wide "racing" stripes from the performance Mustang and sold them as a sport version. It worked: they cleared the inventory at a premium. Hard to lose money by underestimating consumers' intelligence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts