Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not see this mentioned in the owner's manual.....or I forgot about it.

Last night I was getting gas, an as usual, placed the cap on top of the pump. I was thinking how Acura was stupid (or cheap) for not putting a "tethered" cap like my old SUV. It sure seemed dumb to have to find someplace to put it each time I filled up.....not to mention the chance of forgetting it.
Anyway......
Just as I was done, I picked up the cap, and noticed a "U" shaped bracket on the back of the fuel filler door.

Lo and behold, it holds the cap while you fill the tank!!!

>>>>>Now I feel really stupid........

>>>Did anyone else do this???? (Please 'fess-up...I know I can't be alone!!!):rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
i'm sure you're not alone man, people just to shy to reply :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
DavidM said:
I did not see this mentioned in the owner's manual.....or I forgot about it.

Last night I was getting gas, an as usual, placed the cap on top of the pump. I was thinking how Acura was stupid (or cheap) for not putting a "tethered" cap like my old SUV. It sure seemed dumb to have to find someplace to put it each time I filled up.....not to mention the chance of forgetting it.
Anyway......
Just as I was done, I picked up the cap, and noticed a "U" shaped bracket on the back of the fuel filler door.

Lo and behold, it holds the cap while you fill the tank!!!

>>>>>Now I feel really stupid........

>>>Did anyone else do this???? (Please 'fess-up...I know I can't be alone!!!):rolleyes:
Hi DavidM, you might want to post your anecdote here. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess you weren't one of the ones that poured over the manual while waiting for your MDX. ;)

RTFM... RTFM... sounds like a phrase from the Shining...
:2:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DavidM ... Any you told us this for what reason ... Are you totally nuts sharing this with us ... What do you want us to think ...

:werd: or :32: or this guy needs :1zhelp:

Hey ... just kidding ... someday I will share the story about being in the attic and falling through the ceiling ... but not today because :17:

·
Registered
64 Posts
srpbep said:
... someday I will share the story about being in the attic and falling through the ceiling ... but not today because...
Don't even tell us! You were walking across on the sheetrock and not the beams. I almost did the same thing but my A/C guy was quick thinking and yelled at me before I fell through the ceiling.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I shared it because

1: I don't care waht anyone thinks of me.....and

2: I figured at least one other person had committed the same
mistake!!! That is, I don't FEEL like an idiot.....and always
thought I posessed a fair bit of intelligence......and if I missed
it, then someone else could benefit from me sharing my little
bit of embarrassment.

After all, that's what this forum is all about......right? :2: :bonk:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
I have to admit it. . .

Buy my gas cap is actually connected to the tank door by a plastic thingy. . . I guess mine is idiot proof. :8:

By the way, I want to hear the story about a falling through the attic. :jump3:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
laborlitigator wrote:
By the way, I want to hear the story about a falling through the attic.
Do I have to? It's been almost 12 years now and my wife has ALMOST forgotten ... :1pat:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't get your hopes up.

It's been 13 years for me and my wife will never forget it (nor will she let me ever forget it!!!):(

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It gets more embarassing when the gas cap falls,

and lands smack in the middle, under the vehicle.

:bonk:

·
Registered
144 Posts
The worst part about losing the gas cap is that you might not be able to drive away or far without it. The newer non-return line fuel injected cars don't run well without the gas cap on!! A buddy of mine filled up in his crown vic, left the gas cap off and only got 1/4 mile before the car stalled and wouldn't restart until he went back, luckily found the gas cap and put it on...

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Still waiting on the attic story. . .

We're waiting in anticipation here. . . if you tell us that one, I'll relate when I "accidentally" knocked out one of my teachers in high school.

:21:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
dakster wrote:
The worst part about losing the gas cap is that you might not be able to drive away or far without it. The newer non-return line fuel injected cars don't run well without the gas cap on!! A buddy of mine filled up in his crown vic, left the gas cap off and only got 1/4 mile before the car stalled and wouldn't restart until he went back, luckily found the gas cap and put it on...
Never thought about it ... guess you say that this is a NEW FEATURE, one which helps prevent an owner losing the gas cap. While not perfect, it does alert the owner within minutes, giving the owner the opportunity to attempt to retrieve the lost gas cap.

Neat !!! :22:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
OK laborlitigator, I give up.

We had moved into a new home and I was using the UNFINISHED attic to store some large items. I had placed some boards across the joists (rafters or whatever they are called) and was up there and my wife was passing me the articles (she was standing on a ladder).

Anyway, she was watching me "carefully" walking the joists and the loose boards carrying things. She must have cautioned me 1,000 times to be careful because it looked dangerous. She even "urged" me to consider laying a floor in the attic to make it safer.

Well, I kept telling her that she was being silly, only careless idiots fell through the ceiling. That is until I stepped on the end of one of the loose boards which was overhanging one of the joists. Well the loose board made like a "seesaw" with me on the end that was going down (and at a fairly good rate of speed). To make a long story short:

** My wife was in the bedroom below getting some things.

** She was startled by a "crashing/ripping noise".

** She was startled further by a foot, then leg, appearing where there used to be solid ceiling.

** She was startled further by more noise and the appearance of a second foot, then leg, appearing in the ceiling proximate to the 1st foot/leg, again where there used to be solid ceiling.

** She then heard a loud moan.

** She then called out "Are you OK and don't move or you will totally fall through the ceiling".

** In a moaning (probably higher pitched) voice, I assured her the falling was over, that I was now firmly supported by one of the joists.

** She instructed me to be very careful, not to loose my grip on the joist.

** I was able to reply (not sure how) that I really didn't need to hold on, the joist was between my legs and wasn't going anywhere.

If you guys aren't laughing yet, then I have obviously not painted the picture properly. Anyways, I was rather sore in a rather delicate area for a rather long time. During this recovery time, I think my wife giggled (hell, laughed so hard she cried) every time I would moan or limp or whatever.

After my recovery, I did have the ceiling repaired. Then I did install one of those pull down ladders. Then I did install an attic floor [just sheets of 3/4 plywood] securely nailed in place.

Am I off the hook now?? :17: :17: :17:

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Thanks

:p

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Owwww . . . that explains the absence of children (human type) or the presence of your 3 'kids' (four legged type) . . . ;) :) :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Falling

If you guys aren't laughing yet, then I have obviously not painted the picture properly. Anyways, I was rather sore in a rather delicate area for a rather long time. During this recovery time, I think my wife giggled (hell, laughed so hard she cried) every time I would moan or limp or whatever.
LOL! with my sympathies.

And thanks for the warning. I am about to close on a brand new house for an amount I am embarrassed to and I too have no attic floor. The builder said something about a floor compressing the blown-in insulation and lowering the R-value. Yeah, right. BTW, with the blown-in insulation, I can no longer even see the joists. Way to render the entire attic space unusable.:mad:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Don't have the attic storage problem as we made sure to purchase with a basement. Don't have to worry about falling through that floor carrying stuff. I just don't know where I would put all my stuff if we didn't have it. Besides a great place to practice my "hockey" moves.

·
Registered
291 Posts
laborlitigator stated:
. . . if you tell us that one, I'll relate when I "accidentally" knocked out one of my teachers in high school.
OK the rest of us are ready: :2:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts