Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gap between the driver's seat and console on my 02' MDX is annoying. I have lost the car key there (while refueling at a gas station the key feel out of the temporary ring the dealer provided and got stuck in the "gap"). It is very difficult to get anything out of this area - why is this "gap" there?? Yesterday, I lost one of my vitamen pills there and I could not retrieve and noticed a lot of other junk there. Acura designers - please note this. I previously drove a Jeep Cherokee and I loved the design - every knook and crany was accessible and easy to vacuum (with normal vacuum tools). If anyone has a successful method for retrieving items that fall into the "gap", please advise.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I will search for the post for you. A member figured out that the plastic piece below the drivers side seat can be removed by simply prying. Ok, now the catch.....I tried prying the piece but got scared because of the force that was needed to perform the task. OK call me a woosy but it just didn't feel right. Will post the thread as soon as I find it. I too need to get down there to clean up a few miscellaneous items that have found their way down there. I used a hockey stick to get down there last time:)

Edit: Here is one but kinda went astray.(not the one I was looking for)

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9574&highlight=between+drivers+seat

And another one: Note the wittiness of the members.:D

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6597&perpage=15&highlight=black hole&pagenumber=2

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I have managed to get a few things out of this gap with a Home Depot paint stirring stick. It is thin enough to fit in the gap and can be used to push things out from the front or back. Moving the seat all the way forward or back usually gives better access.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I know I have a french fry which needs extraction!! There could be money down there too, who knows!!

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Use a ruler. simple.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a few articles down there as well. it is so annoying

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hey, think of the gap as a "piggy bank" = it is a great way to save!! So, when you go to sell your X someday, it will be worth removing the seat to retrieve all that loot down there. Who knows, maybe you'll find enough change to pay for the next vehicle ...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Lost my ATM card down there and was broke for 2 weeks while waiting for a replacement card. Found the original card when I HAD to search "the hole" to find my keys one day!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same problem... I was really amazed by the things I've found out of there... Well, it was kind of gross... =|

·
Registered
180 Posts
I still think they should make an accessory to reach in there and get stuff out, like a spring loaded clamp of some sort. Tim, any suggestions?

·
Registered
207 Posts
BaldEagle said:
My navigation upgrade from the fall of 2002 must be down there somewhere.:2:
:19:

Yes, I too have lost many an object down the BLACK HOLE....I am constantly alerting passengers:D to the seriousness of THE HOLE. I think my eyeliner, some money, a pen, a CD, and quite possibly that speeding ticket I got in VA are down there....but of course in the case of the last object THE HOLE is a wonderful little invention that I must personally thank Acura for:2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
You may find a device sometimes called a "picker" at your local hardware store or from a specialty tool catalog. They run 12" to 18" long and have a hypodermic needle-like plunger at one end and a set of thin metal "fingers" at the other. You depress the plunger to extend and spread the fingers and then back off on the plunger (which is spring loaded to retract the fingers) to grasp your wayward object for extraction. This is easily small enough to get in the seat/console gap. See photo of picker and of the pickup end with the fingers extended.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have the same problem -- I also call this space the "black hole." We've lost everything down there -- usually the one thing you can't lose at the moment. It's like an arm reaches up and grabs the stuff!

Anyway, my hubby is very good at coming up with nifty fixes for things. His resolution was to stuff a washcloth in each hole (we found some to match the interior so they are hardly noticeable) and now the stuff falls on top of them and you can reach them with your hand.

Always a good chuckle when I see people going through what I'm going through! :D

-Bj

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
ahhh...the trials and tribulations of owning a luxury SUV. I wonder if I search the Lexus and BMW forums I will find that people have succumbed to "wash clothes" and "anal probes" to help with their "black hole" problem.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found the spare key the dealer couldn't find when I bought the car in "the black hole" today while looking for something else I dropped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My military id card slipped into the black hole. I tried using my hand, vacuum, stick with double sided tape, compressor with no luck at all. What finally worked was moving the driver's seat all the way back. Gently pulling away/detaching the carpeted panel attached to the console on driver's side. That darn card had slide so far forward (under the gear shift), the only way to retrieve it was to remove that panel. The panel pushes/snaps right back into place with ease.

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts