Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is a silly question, but how do most people set their MDX up for pooch transport? We have an 80 lb German Shepherd, (no kids), but we don't want to restrict her to behind the 2nd row seats (she likes her window). Our MDX replaces our 94 Ford Explorer. We always kept the 2nd row of seats down, giving her the run of the back. With the way the leather wraps over the back of the seat we worry about her claws doing harm to this area. :eek:

The only options I have come with are:

1. Using the Acura Vinyl Cargo Liner

Pro: Made for MDX and a good fit is assured

Con: Slippery, & glueing velcro permanently at 3rd seat area

2. Throwing an old blanket in the back

Pro: Protects 2nd row seat leather

Con: Ugly & most likely will not stay in place

3. Getting a seat cover for the 2nd row seat and restricting her to the 2nd row seat

Pro: Leather is protected by cover, easy to clean, remove for human passengers

Cons: Limited area for the dog

Any other options?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
We also have an 80lb German Shepard, who absolutely loves to ride in the MDX. The set up we have is to restrict him to behind the 2 row seats. We have the separator net and the cargo liner.
The advantage of the cargo liner is that it covers the back of the second row of seats. I also have the cargo mat over the liner. The advantages of the liner over most other solutions is that:
It protects the rear carpet area, allowing for easy cleanup of hair
It covers the carpeted wheel wells
It covers the back of the rear seats

We restrict our dog to the area behind the 2 row as we fell it is a safe compromise to to transporting him in a cage which is the safest way. In the event of a collision, the separation net will stop his forward progress and prevent him from "flying" through the windshield in the event of a collision. Our guy loves to sit in the back and look out all three sides and there is plenty of room for him. We even sometimes take our Greyhound along also, although she does not enjoy the ride as much.
As far as the velcro is concerned, you will hardly notice it. I was apprehensive about "marring " the MDX, but it really is no big deal.

·
Registered
121 Posts
i also use the cargo liner and the separation net which work great. most of the time i keep the kennel in the cargo area too... and he stays in there for safety

jeff

·
Registered
327 Posts
I purchased the cargo liner and separation net from Tim but haven't installed the cargo liner yet or even taken it out of the box. Does the cargo liner have holes in it for the four factory floor tie down clips? I also have the cargo net and want to be able to use it with the liner. It is good to hear an 80 pounder fits comfortably as that is the weight of my 14 month old Golden!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
R Stevens said:
Does the cargo liner have holes in it for the four factory floor tie down clips? I also have the cargo net and want to be able to use it with the liner. It is good to hear an 80 pounder fits comfortably as that is the weight of my 14 month old Golden!
Yes, there are holes for the tie downs. The only problem I have encountered is the velcro not staying put on the wheel wells. It slips off in the heat. I am getting ready to use an epoxy gue to hold it down. When I bought the car, my dealer threw in a cargo mat which I use over the cargo liner. Seems to work well for my dog, and is super easy to clean.

Although I do not have the cargo net, I can see no reason that there would be any interference.

Any time the hatch is open, he loves to jump in and have a seat in the back...ready to go for a ride!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an 8 month old pointer, abt 45# going on 65#. It is just Max and I. I will get the cargo liner and for long trips, over night, I will takke his crate. But for short trips I have been using an 'easy rider' harness secured by the passenger seat belt. Otherwise Max wants to drive. This prevents him from sitting in my lap and will keep him from going through the windshield, but I dont think it will prevent serious injury since he tends to squirm around and lies down instead of sitting up.

I think he will love the heated seats in winter!!!

Mike

·
Registered
166 Posts
We're getting set to take our first long trip in our X...and we're bringing our 85 lb. "baby" with us. I have the cargo liner that I purchased from Tim, but I haven't taken it out of the box yet. When we used to take our dog in the car, we always used a seatbelt harness. Howver, in our Jeep, we just had her jump in the back. I'm a little concerned about protection also, but the X has a little more room than the Jeep in the back. I suppose I could still harness her into the back...if I got creative. Anyone try and make a tie-down for the back?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
BigDog said:
I know it is a silly question, but how do most people set their MDX up for pooch transport? We have an 80 lb German Shepherd, (no kids), but we don't want to restrict her to behind the 2nd row seats (she likes her window). Our MDX replaces our 94 Ford Explorer. We always kept the 2nd row of seats down, giving her the run of the back. With the way the leather wraps over the back of the seat we worry about her claws doing harm to this area. :eek:

Actually -I think I may have a solution for you. My friend just bought a 2003 BMW 700 series sedan and he purchased an aftermarket seat liner that was custom made for his car because he has a big Golden Retriever that he shuttle to the park to let him run. I will get a hold of him to ask what company that is that made for him. The liner looks totally cool because it matches his black leather interior. the material is either vinyl or some ruggeddized faux leather material for animal transport. I will keep you posted.

I do know that it is EXPENSIVE. For his back seat for his beamer he told me he paid like $590.00 for it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: The Family Dog

Fireblade6 said:
Okay...I found out the company that made the seat cover for pets.
Here is the web site. http://www.canineauto.com/seatcovers.htm

Good Luck:)
Very Nice! :2: :2: :2: - Cordura! - machine washable! this may be the ticket, Thanks a lot Fireblade!:29:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Here is the real owner of our MDX, relaxing in one of his favorite spots. Note the setup...cargo liner, cargo mat and separation net.
Plenty of room for his heiness...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The Family Dog

BigDog said:

Very Nice! :2: :2: :2: - Cordura! - machine washable! this may be the ticket, Thanks a lot Fireblade!:29:
You are welcome BigDog. I think am gonna order the backseat cover myself for my Chow Chow.:2:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice setup Maik, but no window for the POOCH. Nice GSD too :29: how old? I do have a question - is the Acura cargo liner dark gray or charcoal? We have the same ebony interior you have and it looks like it matches perfectly, but the picture on the Acura website looks like a light gray. Is the fabric smooth like vinyl, or a cordura or canvas like material? We may use the cargo liner & a tubular barrier on top of the folded down second row seats (behind the leather) to give her 1/2 a window or we may bite the bullet & do your set up.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Color matches interior quite well. It is a dark charcoal color. Liner actually covers the top of the 2nd row, under the headrests and down a couple of inches on the front of the seats. That said, its hardly noticeable, as no one that has sat in rear seats has said boo. Material is a tight weave nylon canvas look alike, that I believe is waterproof. I will say that it vacuums very easily. I vacuum weekly as our guy sheds constantly despite frequent grooming. He will be 3 next month.

even without access to any open window, he absolutely loves to ride in his charriot!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't forget about the hatchbag. They have a model that covers the entire back (back of front seats to hatch).
Some pet shops sell them but I got mine directly from the manufacturer for about $137.
www.hatchbag.com
DMyles bought one also and posted pictures. Do a search on hatchbag.

I don't have a dog but I modified mine by adding extra grommets to allow quick mounting without adding velcro to the MDX.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Family Dog

Fireblade6 said:

You are welcome BigDog. I think am gonna order the backseat cover myself for my Chow Chow.:2:
FYI From Canine Auto

"Unfortunately we do not have a cargo liner at this time for the Acura
MDX."

So its the Acura Liner:29:

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
BigDog,
I have a REALLY big dog, a 125 Lb Great Pyr as you can see from the picture link with my signature. He is too big to sit or stand on the middle seat and actually dislikes walking on a soft surface. We use sheets to cover the back of the second seat and crack the windows to let air in for him. The problem is getting him into the back. We bought a plastic ramp that he doesn't like to walk up because it is slippery so we have to lift his front paws first into the back, then lift is rear end to help him finish the job. A ramp might be a consideration for you as your dog gets older and is unable to leap easily into the back.

Our six-month old Great Pyr mix puppy is over 50 pounds now and can still easily leap into the back but when she gets to be full size, I am not sure what we will do to transport the two of them. Perhaps I can borrow a horse trailer from one of my neighbors!:)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
remery said:
BigDog,
We use sheets to cover the back of the second seat and crack the windows to let air in for him.
You might want to check out the Acura liner, it covers the back and top of the second row seats quite nicely and also covers the wheel wells in the back. It is far sturdier than sheets and won't slide around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
remery said:
BigDog,
I have a REALLY big dog, a 125 Lb Great Pyr as you can see from the picture link with my signature. He is too big to sit or stand on the middle seat and actually dislikes walking on a soft surface. We use sheets to cover the back of the second seat and crack the windows to let air in for him. The problem is getting him into the back. We bought a plastic ramp that he doesn't like to walk up because it is slippery so we have to lift his front paws first into the back, then lift is rear end to help him finish the job. A ramp might be a consideration for you as your dog gets older and is unable to leap easily into the back.

Our six-month old Great Pyr mix puppy is over 50 pounds now and can still easily leap into the back but when she gets to be full size, I am not sure what we will do to transport the two of them. Perhaps I can borrow a horse trailer from one of my neighbors!:)

Now That's A BIG DOG!:eek:

We will be going with Acura Cargo Liner (already ordered from Tim) :29:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Silver Stallion is now Dog Certified:29:

We went with Maik suggestion of the cargo liner, a must for sure if you have a shedding pooch. Its has saved my ass when she puked in the car, luckily we were at Costco and had some paper product to clean up before we got home. We keep the 2nd row seats down to give Cassidy a little window.

Meblo Pet Barrier- 6 bar welded aluminum, ($100 from CanineAuto.com) set up at end of the folded 2nd row seat to keep her out of the front seat. The Meblo Pet Barrier is nice but we are a little disappointed with it, for $100 it was a little hokey.

Here My Baby

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts