Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

The direction of the MDX, and how the pilot overshadows it

7K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  neoshi 
#1 ·
Off the top of my head,

The new pilot either leapfrogs or matches the MDX in so many ways that it makes it difficult to find a compelling argument to stick with the MDX. What could possibly come in a future redesign that separates the two? It seems like Honda and Acura are sharing features and r&d to the point where the product is the same. Will there be any differentiation in the future? Can Acura afford to do so? Where is the brand direction going?

New Pilot

-20" rims
- 9 speed automatic transmission with electronic gear selector and 280hp vcm direct-injection j35
- 5 usb ports with 4 quick charging capability
- Blu ray player
- Panoramic roof
- Illuminated 2nd row entry buttons
- Auto walk-away door locks
- Reversible and adjustable-height storage lid
- I VTM 4 all-wheel drive with torque vectoring ratios and hydraulic clutch packs that match sh-awd
- All the same Honda sensing tech

See less See more
#2 ·
Ive been around Honda and Acura for a while (1986 Legend, 2000 Accord, 2003 TL that we still have) and honestly this is the first time Ive seen Honda not just inherit stuff from Acura as their "next gen" vehicle

Its nice that the Pilot will get some stuff that the MDX doesnt have, but Im definitely not a fan of the exterior look of it.

I imagine at some point the MDX will be available with all the same stuff....the only question is if it will be for a refresh or a completely new model. We already know the '16 won't have the features, so could they be showing up in '17 or '18? Or would they just hold off until '19 (is that when the next redesign is due?)

We are seriously looking at the '16 MDX but Id hate to spend all the $$$ and find out the Pilot really is better and/or the '17 MDX will get all the new stuff.

#3 ·
The electronic and safety tech is appearing in many vehicles from many manufacturers and is becoming a commodity and expected feature and ultimately many of them will even be mandated by the government.

I think the Acura MDX, as well as premium brand versions from other manufacturers that have both a premium and somewhat less than premium version of the same vehicle (ex: think QX60/Pathfinder, a number of Lexus/Toyota offerings, etc.) will need to distinguish itself in various ways. For the MDX I think (hope) it comes in terms of performance, i.e. faster, better handling, and higher end/quality materials.

New intros, like the Pilot, will sometimes leapfrog the premium brand offering in terms of some features/tech, but the premium should catch up and surpass I'd expect.

I haven't read any head to head comparisons of the Pilot vs the MDX as far as 0-60 times, handling, quietness, etc. but this is where I'd expect to see some differentiation - more so than in the tech/safety features.

#6 ·
There is certainly a difference.

Acura has nicer materials/finish, jewel-eye headlights, SH-AWD (worth quite a bit of money more than VTM), more hp/faster, better handling, better ride, quieter, more refinement inside the cabin.

You also get the Acura level of service and a big one: 4 year warranty instead of 3 years. Huge in my books.

#10 ·
The fit and finish and choice of materials are becoming a challenge. The pilot has more acoustic glass than the MDX. What is to stop it from being quieter? This sort of play makes it more of a competitor. The materials are shared in terms of leather where they once were separate and the MDX body panel gaps are inexcusable. The new ILX and RDX rims do not belong on a luxury product. The only thing I can think of is that those choices are cost-efficient in order to add all the sensing technology. As was said, we have a really low res backup camera and laggy infotainment systems. Cars are becoming more tech oriented while customers more discerning and unforgiving. These types of mis-steps can cost a brand market share - especially when mistakes are locked in for 5 years due to the nature of updates. Other brands can update software over 3g / 4g? We better add carplay and android auto at the very least. I would love to see a materials cost breakdown as a replacement camera for a smartphone is $6 - $12 and can't be much more expensive than the one in the MDX. Or maybe that's the problem - the lowest cost is the primary driver in equipment selection. As much as I like the MDX, I don't want to see its reputation slip. That can be hard to fix. I actually prefer competition and don't want Honda to hold back if they can dominate the market but I do want to see Acura do something better in the luxury space.

#12 ·
Referring to the pilot interior... Are you taking about the current one or the upcoming 2016?

I'm a stickler for interior materials and was fairly impressed with the 16 MDX... But have read differing views on the interior of the 16 pilot. Some say it's great others say it's still meh, albeit less meh than the 15

#16 ·
They cheapened the MDX by offering FWD only models...and the minivan styling still doesn't suit me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.