Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Still driving the 16 mdx and a subaru forester. Thinking next will be either a Toyota Sienna or a Gv70e. Haven't decided yet though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I remember you from the 3rd gen forum. I loved my 2016 MDX! I just didn't trust the 9 speed ZF out of warranty. My 7 year extended warranty was going to expire in a few months. The 2016 MDX is awesome. Had a great time with it.

The Toyota Sienna is a hell of a minivan. Better quality than an Odyssey. GV70 well worth looking at! Nice car.

Any issues with the Subaru? My friend is a head tech at Subaru and is very busy doing head gaskets.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I remember you from the 3rd gen forum. I loved my 2016 MDX! I just didn't trust the 9 speed ZF out of warranty. My 7 year extended warranty was going to expire in a few months. The 2016 MDX is awesome. Had a great time with it.

The Toyota Sienna is a hell of a minivan. Better quality than an Odyssey. GV70 well worth looking at! Nice car.

Any issues with the Subaru? My friend is a head tech at Subaru and is very busy doing head gaskets.
Woa!! Just checked out the new SIenna. Comes with a 4 cylinder engine now. How does it drive?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Oh, I see you have been spoiled by German engineering! Acura is not really in the same league as they are a few rungs down on the ladder!!! German is definitely a few cuts above. I use to drive German when I thought I had money.
Spoiled yes…. And I hear ya on the prices. My bmw has been great though - had 11 years now and it’s been very affordable to maintain (all diy). I feel like Acura is so close…. Yet just missing the mark.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts

Yeah i had TWO ZF9 replacements... Woof. Hopefully third transmission is the charm.

The Subaru is a money pit lol. Costs just as much as euro to maintain! I always tell people that Subaru is actually just like owning a Nissan, albeit recently they infused more Toyota into the underpinnings.

The Sienna is really too slow for my tastes but the utility is just hard to beat. And with a kid i just don't have time to wrench anymore, so the reliability helps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
😂🤣😂🤣!!! ROTFLMAO on the volume knob example!!

So what vehicles are on your short list?
MDX- still need to drive one.

Volvo XC60/XC90- we test drove the XC60 and loved it (that beautifully sparse, Scandinavian interior really speaks to us). Although I think it's the best looking Volvo crossover, I worry the 60 is too small. Also, I think Volvo is nearing the end of this particular production design, so I'd like to see what's next.

Lincoln Nautilus/Aviator- I've never driven a Lincoln, but man, do they look sharp!

Genesis GV80- looks sharp, but almost too much?

I'll admit the new Grand Cherokee and the Kia Telluride have also caught my eye.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
MDX- still need to drive one.

Volvo XC60/XC90- we test drove the XC60 and loved it (that beautifully sparse, Scandinavian interior really speaks to us). Although I think it's the best looking Volvo crossover, I worry the 60 is too small. Also, I think Volvo is nearing the end of this particular production design, so I'd like to see what's next.

Lincoln Nautilus/Aviator- I've never driven a Lincoln, but man, do they look sharp!

Genesis GV80- looks sharp, but almost too much?

I'll admit the new Grand Cherokee and the Kia Telluride have also caught my eye.
Solid list! New Cherokee is very interesting. Aviator looks nice. What do you drive now?

Have you see this:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Solid list! New Cherokee is very interesting. Aviator looks nice. What do you drive now?

Have you see this:

Thanks! Just watched it.

We currently own a 2018 Accord (only 18,000 miles on it; thanks, COVID) and a 2016 Subaru Outback (3.6R) (78,000 miles; paid off and starting to need maintenance- not interested in putting lots of money into it). I thought the Outback would be indestructible and last forever, but that's not looking promising. We are both young professionals that make a decent living. I think it's time we treat ourselves and step up in vehicle class a bit.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks! Just watched it.

We currently own a 2018 Accord (only 18,000 miles on it; thanks, COVID) and a 2016 Subaru Outback (3.6R) (78,000 miles; paid off and starting to need maintenance- not interested in putting lots of money into it). I thought the Outback would be indestructible and last forever, but that's not looking promising. We are both young professionals that make a decent living. I think it's time we treat ourselves and step up in vehicle class a bit.
My friend's cousin works for Subaru in Japan. My friend asked his cousin which Subaru model is the most reliable. The cousin replied: "A Honda".

As I mentioned earlier, a friend of mine is a master tech at Subaru and they are slammed with recalls and warranty work.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
910 Posts
What's really strange is Hondas are oriented more to young people while Acuras are geared toward older adults. So what do they do? They put a kids touch pad in. Older adults want a quiet smooth riding car that easy to get accustomed to and use.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Except us out timers have no issues with the TouchPad! Seems like only young folks have an issue with it!,

Reactions: MDteX

·
Registered
175 Posts
What's really strange is Hondas are oriented more to young people while Acuras are geared toward older adults. So what do they do? They put a kids touch pad in. Older adults want a quiet smooth riding car that easy to get accustomed to and use.
Im not sure Acura targets the older crowd. The designs are certainly more aggressive than I’d expect for an old money target market. Unlike most of the current Japanese cars designs (let’s see who can out spaceship each other), I actually really like the Acura exterior.

I suspect their intended market is potential BMW owners who get scared by the BMW sticker and potential maintenance. Basically they seem to want to be a Lexus (reliable) car that handles better. As to if they hit that mark… well that’s a different debate. Their marketing videos do (laughable and boarderline fraudulent) head to head comparisons against the Europeans. They seem so close, yet so far away at the same time. If they can nail it I think they could own the market again like they used to. I’m hoping they do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im not sure Acura targets the older crowd. The designs are certainly more aggressive than I’d expect for an old money target market. Unlike most of the current Japanese cars designs (let’s see who can out spaceship each other), I actually really like the Acura exterior.

I suspect their intended market is potential BMW owners who get scared by the BMW sticker and potential maintenance. Basically they seem to want to be a Lexus (reliable) car that handles better. As to if they hit that mark… well that’s a different debate. Their marketing videos do (laughable and boarderline fraudulent) head to head comparisons against the Europeans. They seem so close, yet so far away at the same time. If they can nail it I think they could own the market again like they used to. I’m hoping they do.
Actually, it seems an Acura is an America designed and built car with Honda parts. While many Hondas are made here, their designs come from Japan. The Acura is designed in S. California. If I am not mistaken, I think all Acuras come from USA or Canada. I am not sure, but I think in the old days an MDX was a pimped out Pilot. Then Acura came out with their own car. Now I think the Mdx and Pilot are coming out of the same barn again with many similarities.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks! Just watched it.

What cars do you find appealing in the ''step up'' class? My wife and I chose to enjoy nice cars too. I guess I am a sucker for many of the new gizmos but I also find many of them add significant pleasure to the driving experience as well as providing additional safety features in many instances.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
What cars do you find appealing in the ''step up'' class? My wife and I chose to enjoy nice cars too. I guess I am a sucker for many of the new gizmos but I also find many of them add significant pleasure to the driving experience as well as providing additional safety features in many instances.
☝👆 This! The reason I upgrade is for the new tech!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
The usual suspects, tho Acura and Volvo are my favorite two at this moment. Genesis is certainly eye-catching, but I need to look into them a bit more. I’d love to dabble into Benz and BMW territory, but I can’t wrap my head around paying more than $70K for a vehicle. Lexus offers a fine product- I just hate how they look right now. And I’ve never been a fan of Infiniti.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts