Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Hey, what you talkin about, youngster? I am 68 and as I noted in an earlier thread, I far prefer the touchpad and also mastered it quite quickly! As for the notion that there are no other alternatives, have those folks lost their voices? How about the steering wheel controls?
The touchpad could not be easier to use and does not require me to reach halfway across the car to get to a touch screen......talk about distraction!
Us old-timers seem to like and adapt to new things better!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Funny how much passion is wrapped up in this. The suggestion wasn't to ONLY do one or the other but rather to provide options with a touch screen in addition to the TrueTouch deal. I truly can't understand arguing against the logic of having both.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Funny how much passion is wrapped up in this. The suggestion wasn't to ONLY do one or the other but rather to provide options with a touch screen in addition to the TrueTouch deal. I truly can't understand arguing against the logic of having both.
In spite of your statistics and claims, I suspect that Acura is more concerned with your safety than saving a few bucks. Several studies have proven that touch screens are indeed a safety hazard. My previous car had a touchscreen and I found it to be far more distracting that the MDX touchpad. Not very safe to reach halfway across the car to touch a screen. If you cant seem to get the touchpad to work for you, perhaps one of the old timers here would be willing to teach you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
100% I'm more annoyed that they chose something that is making them look very bad (regardless of how YOU like it, Acura is getting smacked around for choosing it), and they should have seen that coming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
In spite of your statistics and claims, I suspect that Acura is more concerned with your safety than saving a few bucks. Several studies have proven that touch screens are indeed a safety hazard. My previous car had a touchscreen and I found it to be far more distracting that the MDX touchpad. Not very safe to reach halfway across the car to touch a screen. If you cant seem to get the touchpad to work for you, perhaps one of the old timers here would be willing to teach you!
Your comment would have more weight if it weren't for the touchpad's also being a distraction. I'll admit, a touchscreen isn't the overall winner or answer, but SO many reviewers I've read/watched have chided the touchpad for being dangerous, requiring the driver to keep an eye on the screen to make sure selections are accurate. So, in my view, it's a draw in terms of distractibility (if it were a touchscreen, it would be closer to the driver, so I see the reach as a non-factor).

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
100% I'm more annoyed that they chose something that is making them look very bad (regardless of how YOU like it, Acura is getting smacked around for choosing it), and they should have seen that coming.
Not sure how bad they have looked....here are the sales figures:

53530​
54038​
49836​
52992​

With two months left, it would appear that they will post more sales for 2021 than even the pre-pandemic year of 2018. And, considering the current wait for a new one, I would suspect that sales would be even higher if they were able to produce more vehicles. I would suggest the touch pad is less of an issue than you might think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Not sure how bad they have looked....here are the sales figures:

53530​
54038​
49836​
52992​

With two months left, it would appear that they will post more sales for 2021 than even the pre-pandemic year of 2018. And, considering the current wait for a new one, I would suspect that sales would be even higher if they were able to produce more vehicles. I would suggest the touch pad is less of an issue than you might think.
In no way, ever, was I speaking in terms of sales figures.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I really doubt that Acura cares more about safety than anyone else - they probably did some study that led them to think TrueTouch would solve the worlds problems and then doubled down on it even when the feedback was less than stellar. Typical product mgmt. Even Volvo has a touch screen, albeit a fairly slow one.

I don't particularly love touch screens myself... but when you get frustrated with something that's not getting the job done <insert your favorite "better than a touch screen" interface here> a touch screen can solve the distraction of a system that's fighting you.

Also while I appreciate the offer for a lesson on the TrueTouch I'm gonna have to pass. The current MDX wasn't for me with or without a touchscreen. Additionally I'll be fair - my assessment of the TrueTouch system was less than 5 minutes. It frusterated me that I couldn't even get to the settings properly because it kept jumping around between pages. If that was the ONLY negative against the MDX I likely would have still purchased the car and likely eventually gotten used to it. With that said, many many many people make buying decisions based on a short test drive and 5 minutes with the infotainment system. It seems very short sighted to omit the one interface that almost no one needs an introductory lesson for - the touchscreeen. Just do both.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hey, what you talkin about, youngster? I am 68 and as I noted in an earlier thread, I far prefer the touchpad and also mastered it quite quickly! As for the notion that there are no other alternatives, have those folks lost their voices? How about the steering wheel controls?
The touchpad could not be easier to use and does not require me to reach halfway across the car to get to a touch screen......talk about distraction!
Hey, you are flexible and adaptable!!! Good on you!!! Most people can't learn new things after age 50. And the older they are, the harder it is! My Father would never, ever get use to the trackpad!!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Funny enough i was just looking at the ticket for that service and it was a 22 not a 21. Forgot 21 got skipped thanks to covid.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
What do you drive now? What is your next vehicle now that the 2022 MDX is out?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I think a touch screen is not necessary. I would never use it. So I wouldn't want the option of both as that just makes the car more expensive. I would not want to pay for a feature that I would never use.I have never reached for the screen once but I am sure some older drivers would not be able to break that habit. I can see this being frustrating,

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Your comment would have more weight if it weren't for the touchpad's also being a distraction. I'll admit, a touchscreen isn't the overall winner or answer, but SO many reviewers I've read/watched have chided the touchpad for being dangerous, requiring the driver to keep an eye on the screen to make sure selections are accurate. So, in my view, it's a draw in terms of distractibility (if it were a touchscreen, it would be closer to the driver, so I see the reach as a non-factor).
Those testers simply didn't spend enough time with the touchpad. No one likes the touchpad within the first hour or two of using it. I sure didn't. In fact I thought it was terrible. But once you master it, it is mecca.
On the Elite/Advance model you can set up shortcuts to features that you normally access on the screen/trackpad, on your steering wheel controls and HUD. I set this up at first to avoid using the trackpad when I first got the MDX. But now I mostly use the trackpad. Steering wheel controls and HUD are good for when you are on the highway and want to keep your eyes looking straight ahead.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think a touch screen is not necessary. I would never use it. So I wouldn't want the option of both as that just makes the car more expensive. I would not want to pay for a feature that I would never use.I have never reached for the screen once but I am sure some older drivers would not be able to break that habit. I can see this being frustrating,
There are lots of features on a car that people don't use. I suspect the costs would be minimal - it's probably something like less than $50 a car for a touch screen. The larger cost maybe the in the software development, but given it's already running Android... shouldn't be too hard. If it increased sales it'd likely offset the cost increase quickly because more are sold.

None of my cars have touchscreens - just twisty dial things. They work fine and have never quite resulted in the same level of frustration that I had trying to get to settings in the 2022 MDX. I agree I could probably get used to it and it had nothing to do with why I didn't buy an MDX. I'm just saying I think adding a touch screen would be nothing but benefit for the brand and the owners. Even if it just shut up the reviewers who complained about it... it'd still be a win because more folks would be likely to look at the car. I know plenty of people who will rule in / out based minor things like the interface - why give them a reason to walk? Believe it or not I want to see Acura do great... heck I LOVE the style and design of the MDX, especially the exterior. I really expected to love the thing - reality was just a let down.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
There are lots of features on a car that people don't use. I suspect the costs would be minimal - it's probably something like less than $50 a car for a touch screen. The larger cost maybe the in the software development, but given it's already running Android... shouldn't be too hard. If it increased sales it'd likely offset the cost increase quickly because more are sold.

None of my cars have touchscreens - just twisty dial things. They work fine and have never quite resulted in the same level of frustration that I had trying to get to settings in the 2022 MDX. I agree I could probably get used to it and it had nothing to do with why I didn't buy an MDX. I'm just saying I think adding a touch screen would be nothing but benefit for the brand and the owners. Even if it just shut up the reviewers who complained about it... it'd still be a win because more folks would be likely to look at the car. I know plenty of people who will rule in / out based minor things like the interface - why give them a reason to walk? Believe it or not I want to see Acura do great... heck I LOVE the style and design of the MDX, especially the exterior. I really expected to love the thing - reality was just a let down.
I hear yah! So what did you buy or what do you drive now?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hear yah! So what did you buy or what do you drive now?
We were trying to replace my wife's Pilot because I hate driving it. Ultimately only thing we "loved" was a well equipped GLE 450, but the price was just more than I really wanted to spend... what can I say? I'm cheap. We really really liked the Q7 and could get one for a lot less... but after the GLE... we just didn't love it the same as the MB. In the end we grabbed a used 2018 Audi Q5 for me to drive the wife and kids around in which solves the main problem. I still have my E90 N52 with a manual for fun and the wife still has the Pilot for now. Eventually we hope to replace the Pilot - probably will grab a GLE eventually unless someone releases something that checks enough check boxes to dethrone it.

Legit my wife and I really thought the MDX was going to be it - I almost pre-ordred one I was so sure... but then the color choices were limited (we wanted an Apex Blue A-Spec with Advanced), and then it just didn't drive that special - reminded us of the Pilot more than the Q7 or the GLE, the one we drove I think was also not 100% working correctly - no interior lights worked (no PDI) and it was a Black on Black A-Spec which we don't care for, etc... Ultimately it was nice but considering it was the freshest design of everything we'd looked at, it just was our least favorite and we expected it to pickup more "new" features from it's competition. We just felt "meh" after driving it. Playing with the infotainment was after the decision had already been made - I wanted to see the interior colored lights change and all.

I'd like to see Acura nail this space, but for us this just wasn't it. Getting the infotainment right is something I think would be easy for them to solve for the folks who don't like the TrueTouch while still keeping TrueTouch for those who like it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Those testers simply didn't spend enough time with the touchpad. No one likes the touchpad within the first hour or two of using it. I sure didn't. In fact I thought it was terrible. But once you master it, it is mecca.
On the Elite/Advance model you can set up shortcuts to features that you normally access on the screen/trackpad, on your steering wheel controls and HUD. I set this up at first to avoid using the trackpad when I first got the MDX. But now I mostly use the trackpad. Steering wheel controls and HUD are good for when you are on the highway and want to keep your eyes looking straight ahead.
When it comes to technology, intuitiveness is a major factor. If you have to spend hours with something to learn it, that doesn't necessarily forgive all sins. Imagine, for example, if in all Acura vehicles, the volume nob decreased the volume when turned to the right, and increased it when turned to the left. Sure, after some time, you'd learn this nuance, and it would become habit. But it's not intuitive. Life has enough learning curves-- let's leave them out of our cars, as best we can. Intuitiveness and initial ease of use are important, and it's on this factor the touchpad gets torn a new one in most reviews. Add on the fact that when using CarPlay, it changes function completely and reverts to a standard mouse... even more confusing. Sure, I have no doubt that this problem is caused by Apple's software, BUT, the buck stops with Acura, who chose to use it anyway.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We were trying to replace my wife's Pilot because I hate driving it. Ultimately only thing we "loved" was a well equipped GLE 450, but the price was just more than I really wanted to spend... what can I say? I'm cheap. We really really liked the Q7 and could get one for a lot less... but after the GLE... we just didn't love it the same as the MB. In the end we grabbed a used 2018 Audi Q5 for me to drive the wife and kids around in which solves the main problem. I still have my E90 N52 with a manual for fun and the wife still has the Pilot for now. Eventually we hope to replace the Pilot - probably will grab a GLE eventually unless someone releases something that checks enough check boxes to dethrone it.

Legit my wife and I really thought the MDX was going to be it - I almost pre-ordred one I was so sure... but then the color choices were limited (we wanted an Apex Blue A-Spec with Advanced), and then it just didn't drive that special - reminded us of the Pilot more than the Q7 or the GLE, the one we drove I think was also not 100% working correctly - no interior lights worked (no PDI) and it was a Black on Black A-Spec which we don't care for, etc... Ultimately it was nice but considering it was the freshest design of everything we'd looked at, it just was our least favorite and we expected it to pickup more "new" features from it's competition. We just felt "meh" after driving it. Playing with the infotainment was after the decision had already been made - I wanted to see the interior colored lights change and all.

I'd like to see Acura nail this space, but for us this just wasn't it. Getting the infotainment right is something I think would be easy for them to solve for the folks who don't like the TrueTouch while still keeping TrueTouch for those who like it.
Oh, I see you have been spoiled by German engineering! Acura is not really in the same league as they are a few rungs down on the ladder!!! German is definitely a few cuts above. I use to drive German when I thought I had money.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
When it comes to technology, intuitiveness is a major factor. If you have to spend hours with something to learn it, that doesn't necessarily forgive all sins. Imagine, for example, if in all Acura vehicles, the volume nob decreased the volume when turned to the right, and increased it when turned to the left. Sure, after some time, you'd learn this nuance, and it would become habit. But it's not intuitive. Life has enough learning curves-- let's leave them out of our cars, as best we can. Intuitiveness and initial ease of use are important, and it's on this factor the touchpad gets torn a new one in most reviews. Add on the fact that when using CarPlay, it changes function completely and reverts to a standard mouse... even more confusing. Sure, I have no doubt that this problem is caused by Apple's software, BUT, the buck stops with Acura, who chose to use it anyway.
😂🤣😂🤣!!! ROTFLMAO on the volume knob example!!

So what vehicles are on your short list?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts