Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have an iPad with an Apple keyboard. Took me about 2 minutes before I stopped touching the screen and just use the touchpad. Much easier than trying to poke around on a screen while it is stationary, much less while moving around. 10 out of 10 for Acura. It should be the standard in the industry.
I agree I have no idea why people like the touchscreens. I too was kind of reticent at first having used the touchpad in a loaner RDX but after a little bit of a learning curve it is much easier than using a touchscreen. The touchscreens are just two distracting with all of the menu options they cram into the infotainment systems now. One of the things that turned me off of the GV80 was the touchscreen. It was too far to reach out to and make changes to the system quickly and easily and the optional control number was ridiculously cumbersome to use. The touchpad is just better all around IMO. That said I suspect Acura will knuckle under to the lemmings and probably provide a dual opinion.
I think you two are missing the point. If you hate touchscreens, fine, then use the pad. BUT... give us both. Options are great. I'm glad you like the touchpad, but it is widely disliked amongst car reviewers who are in and out of cars every day, for a living. I'll concede that most of the reviewers don't get the opportunity to spend ample time with it and learn it, but I'm also inclined to give them some credit based on their experience in the field.

If the touchpad were a movie listed on RottenTomatoes, it would have a score of about 10% at this point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since most people probably have touchscreen phones that is what they are used to. As I said before the touchpad is like a touchscreen just in a different place. The relationship is the same. Top left is top left, etc. Most car reviewers don't get to spend enough time with the car to get used to the touchpad. After a few of days with it, it will become second nature to you.

I also think there is an economy of scale issue. It is my understanding that the infotainment screen and the new digital dash screen are the same. Less different parts make it easier and cheaper to manufacture.
Touch screen is simply an overlay. Probably cost a dollar, 2 at most for that size. Resistive is not as good and a bit cheaper, capacitive is better. In fact Acura ''upgraded'' their older touchscreens from cheap resistive to more accurate and sensitive capacitive. :Saving a buck or 2 on a 50k+ ride seems strange, especially with the major tick off factor.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think you two are missing the point. If you hate touchscreens, fine, then use the pad. BUT... give us both. Options are great. I'm glad you like the touchpad, but it is widely disliked amongst car reviewers who are in and out of cars every day, for a living. I'll concede that most of the reviewers don't get the opportunity to spend ample time with it and learn it, but I'm also inclined to give them some credit based on their experience in the field.

If the touchpad were a movie listed on RottenTomatoes, it would have a score of about 10% at this point.
It's too bad they don't collect more input from actual Acura owners/drivers. Geeks who spend 15 hours a day at a desk cobble up this stuff. It ain't the same in real life. I fully expect some huge lawsuits due to the distractions caused by the new system. For super distraction try running the nav scale up and down while you drive. Even more fun if you hit a little bump in the road. They could have wrung all sorts of functions out of the hideous monster knob to select driving modes (replaced a little flush button on the console). The head up display has fantastic potential as well, really needs to be more prevalent. Also the whole instrument cluster is now really just one big video screen with unlimited functionality potential. I'm pretty sure the touchpad is not the final solution.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Yeah car reviewers just like movie reviewers are like lemmings………They go along with the crowd and consensus……..The car industry wants to steer people to the technology they want to introduce. Car reviews are the best way to do that. The constant “love affair” that car reviewers have with German Cars is a prime example.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah car reviewers just like movie reviewers are like lemmings………They go along with the crowd and consensus……..The car industry wants to steer people to the technology they want to introduce.
So my experience with True Touch was bad and everyone says you get used to it and it's great. I met a guy with an RDX that he'd had for a year and a half. He said he loved the RDX had looked at other cars but thought the RDX was a great car and a great value. I asked him, "so how do you the true touch pad deal I hear it can take some getting used to". His response "Yeah, I never have gotten used to it. I can use it but it's weird and I don't understand why they didn't just put a touch screen on it like everyone else".

Words from an owner who's had it a while. It's not just car reviewers who dislike it. I'm not saying kill the idea, but if you're going to keep it at least provide options cause it's sure not universally loved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, after watching dozens of YouTube videos on the new MDX, most reviewers are in agreement that the touchpad-based infotainment system is a true weak spot of the new MDX. This comes at no surprise, as touchpad systems have been criticized for years. What was Acura thinking in sticking to its guns on this system? Yes, yes, I'm sure it gets better with repeat use, but to limit the access to touchpad-only (which seems more of a distraction to the driver, say nothing of the limitation it places on the passenger (passengers- you're stuck with the driver's music!)) is a bit of a head-scratcher. How soon before Acura moves the infotainment display forward an inch and makes it touchscreen, so at least there are multiple options to access it?
I have my 2022 MDX for nearly 6 months now. All my previous cars have touch screen. Touch pad control in MDX is still really a pain to operate and they should change to touch screen which has much much quicker response and your sight of vision is still on the road. I am thinking of trade in with other luxury car in 3-4 months.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Just like talking politics here. Some like it. Some don't. Goes that way for many things.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Touch pad control in MDX is still really a pain to operate and they should change to touch screen which has much much quicker response and your sight of vision is still on the road. I am thinking of trade in with other luxury car in 3-4 months.
Having both options sounds like the best answer but really - how often do you really interact with the infotainment while driving that's it's such a huge deal that you'd trade it in in such a short time along with the ensuing financial loss? I don't have a 2022, I have a 2014, but I don't really interact with the infotainment all that much including on the multiple coast to coast drives I've done. I interact with it a little bit but I'm not constantly fiddling with it or anything. Sometimes I zoom in or out on the map but that takes no effort to do (don't know about the 2022). For music/audio source selection, volume, etc. I use the steering wheel controls - no need to go to the infotainment directly.

All of these infotainment systems are best off interacting with as little as possible and focusing more on driving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am not too computer savvy or good with modern techs, It took me no time to get used to the MDX touchpad, I actually like it as oppose to reaching over for the touch screen. everyone is different.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah car reviewers just like movie reviewers are like lemmings………They go along with the crowd and consensus……..The car industry wants to steer people to the technology they want to introduce. Car reviews are the best way to do that. The constant “love affair” that car reviewers have with German Cars is a prime example.
Lemmings? Most car reviewers I value see the car and offer input without taking inventory of what others say about it. Same for movie reviewers.

And I happen to agree with them regarding German cars: right out of the factory, German cars are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. Fun to drive and technologically advanced. However, it's with reliability that they falter. But that's not a new car reviewer's job to evaluate that (how would they know?).

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Though unlike politics there is actually an answer that could make >90% of people happy - Acura just chose not to invest in it.
I like your made up stats. Acura choose to move past it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Though unlike politics there is actually an answer that could make >90% of people happy - Acura just chose not to invest in it.
I like your made up stats. Acura choose to move past it.
The stats might be made up, but I don't believe them to be far off. For years, the sentiment (from both professionals and customers) has been, generally speaking, "touchpad bad" (said in caveman voice). To come out with a new model and say, "you know what? we're sticking with the touchpad!" just seems like someone wasn't paying attention. Or... the $avings were so great that the bean counters made the decision.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lemmings? Most car reviewers I value see the car and offer input without taking inventory of what others say about it. Same for movie reviewers.

And I happen to agree with them regarding German cars: right out of the factory, German cars are leaps and bounds ahead of the competition. Fun to drive and technologically advanced. However, it's with reliability that they falter. But that's not a new car reviewer's job to evaluate that (how would they know?).
No not all……..The Mid 2000’s 7 Series comes to mind and as a matter of fact 7 Series have had issues to this day. Some of the entry level Mercedes like the C class have had middling performance, fit and finish at best. Reliability has to be a part of the equation in some shape a form.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
So, after watching dozens of YouTube videos on the new MDX, most reviewers are in agreement that the touchpad-based infotainment system is a true weak spot of the new MDX. This comes at no surprise, as touchpad systems have been criticized for years. What was Acura thinking in sticking to its guns on this system? Yes, yes, I'm sure it gets better with repeat use, but to limit the access to touchpad-only (which seems more of a distraction to the driver, say nothing of the limitation it places on the passenger (passengers- you're stuck with the driver's music!)) is a bit of a head-scratcher. How soon before Acura moves the infotainment display forward an inch and makes it touchscreen, so at least there are multiple options to access it?
After 1 hour of use, I fully mastered and now love my touchpad. A touch screen seems old news now. I can enter addresses so fast into the GPS that I never have to contact the Acuralink operator. I can navigate the trackpad without looking at it and without taking my eyes off the road. I think the younger driver will have no problems with the touchpad. But I fully understand older drivers never being able to master it. It is extremely difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. I get it. For the safety of other drivers on the road, drivers not comfortable with the touchpad should really get a vehicle with a touchscreen. The nice thing about touchscreens is that they are disabled while driving which makes the roads safer.

Reactions: MDteX

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks! I agree with you- I'm sure that once you're used to it, it works well, and easily. BUT... Acura's decision to go with it still resulted in their being bludgeoned by (almost) every credible car reviewer out there. For that reason alone, they should have provided a second means of access (touchscreen, for example). It makes them look bad, and I'd imagine it's hindered many from buying it.
I don't think the reviewers spent enough time with the touchpad. I disliked it at first too. No lie.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would prefer a rotary as well. The one in the GV70 seems to have ticked all the right boxes and looks great. It took Genesis a while to figure that out as well (the rotary in the GV80... woof!).

And I know the touchpad doesn't function like a mouse, and I've heard several reviewers say that this works great for corner buttons, but the stuff in the middle is more difficult to select.

But the point of my post was more so a critique of Acura's choice, not whether the system works. The system's being ripped to shreds in most reviews is bad optics for what seems to be a stellar new vehicle.
I found that dial in the GV80 just plain weird.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
After using the 2021's infotainment for about a month and going in with high hopes, i ended up disliking it. I get what they were trying to do but i agree with others that the rotary and push down to select method is probably the best non-touchscreen interface. I actually don't even mind the old Lexus fake mouse style either. I agree also with the above that the GV70's interface is done well, as it is snappy and accurate, but I do prefer a rotary knob that comes up and isn't just a smidge above flush.

Sadly, the new Acura infotainment overall was laggy, crashed multiple times, the split screen was not entirely useful with the limited selections for each side, and I agree that the truetouch was really only good for finding corners and required too much eyes on time to confirm where you were and where you going to go with the interface. The voice command interface was also still problematic too because of problems with accuracy of recognition and also the mic also had some trouble picking up my commands from time to time. I did like how the system made phone calls sound through the left tweeter to give you a crisper pickup of the call. It's also still a very basic system that depends on your use of Android Auto or Apple Carplay to get the extra features you desire, but we all know very well that Google and Apple have been quite good at introducing new bugs that cause issues over time. Also, navigating through the apps with the truetouch could sometimes be very clunky, as a slight movement would cause the selector to end up on the wrong item.

For the MDX, I've now used the 2014-2017 infotainment, the 2018-2020 infotainment, and 2021 infotainment for quite some time and i think Honda/Acura still has a lot of work to do. The infotainment should be making the quality of life better for the users, not worse and I'm not sure Honda/Acura gets that yet. Feels like they're trying to hard to be different, but not necessarily in a good way.
You should try the 2022 infotainment system on the MDX and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
After 1 hour of use, I fully mastered and now love my touchpad. A touch screen seems old news now. I can enter addresses so fast into the GPS that I never have to contact the Acuralink operator. I can navigate the trackpad without looking at it and without taking my eyes off the road. I think the younger driver will have no problems with the touchpad. But I fully understand older drivers never being able to master it. It is extremely difficult to teach an old dog new tricks. I get it. For the safety of other drivers on the road, drivers not comfortable with the touchpad should really get a vehicle with a touchscreen. The nice thing about touchscreens is that they are disabled while driving which makes the roads safer.
Hey, what you talkin about, youngster? I am 68 and as I noted in an earlier thread, I far prefer the touchpad and also mastered it quite quickly! As for the notion that there are no other alternatives, have those folks lost their voices? How about the steering wheel controls?
The touchpad could not be easier to use and does not require me to reach halfway across the car to get to a touch screen......talk about distraction!

Reactions: MDteX
21 - 40 of 77 Posts