Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 MDX Hybrid and use Android phones. The address book and call functions work fine, but even though I have given the phones permission to send text messages and emails to the car, I am not able to read them or listen to them from the car. When I select "messages and emails" in the phone menu, it asks me to select an email or SMS account (which I do, because I have only one), and then it takes me to the folder page where I can select inbox, etc. If I click on one of those folders, the whole routine starts over. Has anyone gotten these functions to work on a 2018? Before you ask, I've deleted the phone and reconnected it to the car with permission to share these functions with the car, and I've done that three or four times. The two phones I use are a recent Motorola Droid 2 1585 and a Google Pixel 2. Many thanks for any help. P.S. I've already opened a case with Acura on the dysfunction with an iPod connected by USB, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to do this with the text/email problem. I'm afraid Acura didn't really sort out the software before releasing the car.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
It's been this broken since forever. Emails i could never get to work but i use Gmail anyway. Texts it will read only if i don't have too many messages. If you're the kind of person that saves all your texts from forever ago, the amount of data overloads the system and it will read nothing. The 2018 is Android based now but i think the problem is still there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been this broken since forever. Emails i could never get to work but i use Gmail anyway. Texts it will read only if i don't have too many messages. If you're the kind of person that saves all your texts from forever ago, the amount of data overloads the system and it will read nothing. The 2018 is Android based now but i think the problem is still there.

Neoshi, thank you. Yes, I have a lot of text messages in the phone, but I'll try deleting most of them and see if that helps. Do people really put up with these kind of limitations without complain to Acura? This must be an easy software fix!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Neoshi, thank you. Yes, I have a lot of text messages in the phone, but I'll try deleting most of them and see if that helps. Do people really put up with these kind of limitations without complain to Acura? This must be an easy software fix!
Sadly we do because despite all the complaints, they were too busy developing the 2018 head unit with Android to care about our bugs unless they were safety related (e.g. the traffic lines, backup camera not coming up). There's a few more bugs like contrast issues in daytime requiring switching to off and back on for the screen (this should be solved for 2018, but still a problem up to 2016 early production), the 3 second bluetooth lag, and of course the archaic maps that can be updated every spring for $99.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I deleted all but three of my text messages, which dated back to 2016 (which took about 20 minutes), and it still doesn't work. If they neglected other issues to work on the 2018 infotainment, they were also neglecting the 2018 while they did it. On the whole, I find I like it a lot, but these bugs are all really inexcusable.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You may need to try a re-pair, which seems to fix a lot of things as well. If that still doesn't work, we may have to chalk this one up to the "phone is too new" for these archaic car systems excuse. :/

Forgot to ask but what phone are you using?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You may need to try a re-pair, which seems to fix a lot of things as well. If that still doesn't work, we may have to chalk this one up to the "phone is too new" for these archaic car systems excuse. :/

Forgot to ask but what phone are you using?

Neoshi, I've tried re-pairing, but not since I deleted all the texts, so I will. I'm using a Motorola Droid 2 (about two years old) and a Pixel 2, which is new. I don't know if you saw my post on the iPod problem, but this is a serious one for me, for I listen to a lot of music, mostly classical. The car will not let my browse playlists, albums or artists, but just randomly plays tracks, of which there are 6400 on my iPod. So you can't listen to a symphony or string quartet, you can listen to one movement and then a Joni Mitchell track, one movement of a Bach choral piece, then one Bob Dylan song, etc., etc., etc. This problem is only when the iPod is connected by USB, as it all works fine with bluetooth--which means you can't use the phone at the same time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm let me find my old ipod and test... Hope it still holds a charge!

I'd be interested to hear your experience. My iPod is a Touch (gen 6). Is your car a 2018 or earlier? If it's a 2018, there is a button in the upper right hand corner for the menu, and then immediately below it a very faint grayed-out button that says "Browse." If you push the button, you get a double beep and a notice comes up that says "This function is unavailable while compiling the list," but the list is never compiled. When the iPod is hooked up with bluetooth, the button works and you are taken to a screen that allows browsing playlists, albums, artists, etc. (all of which is just like doing it on the iPod itself). I tried un-pairing and re-pairing the phone with four texts on the phone, and it is still not working.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Earlier, 2016, so it will be a curious result if it works here but not on the 2018 unit. I think i only have an ipod nano left, but hopefully will be the same interface.

That delete text fix definitely used to work for us pre 2018, so i guess the 2018 has a new problem. My wife and i used Pixel and Pixel XL. It would always ask for the message permission and i would make sure that the setting on the mdx pointed to the texts and not email.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Earlier, 2016, so it will be a curious result if it works here but not on the 2018 unit. I think i only have an ipod nano left, but hopefully will be the same interface.

That delete text fix definitely used to work for us pre 2018, so i guess the 2018 has a new problem. My wife and i used Pixel and Pixel XL. It would always ask for the message permission and i would make sure that the setting on the mdx pointed to the texts and not email.

I think the 2018 system is radically different from the earlier one, and I've used both. So there could certainly be new bugs in the newer system. The fact that the iPod works properly on bluetooth, but not on USB, suggests a fairly minor bug in the 2018 software, or so I think. I've never used a nano, so I have no idea about that. I did give message permission on the phone on re-pairing the bluetooth, and the car gives me only one account option, SMS, which I select. It then shows it's loading the messages, and then it just takes me back to the folder screen (Inbox, etc.).

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Yeah i know it is. Different base os afterall. Was hopeful maybe some of the old bug fixes would work (it is partially having to do with the phone and the BT protocol as well).

As for the ipod, ill try it a bit later today. Again, knowing that it's a totally different system, it will be curious to see how the older system handled ipod music vs the new. If anything, you could at least use that info as a "wtf acura why would you remove these things" kind of demonstration lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i know it is. Different base os afterall. Was hopeful maybe some of the old bug fixes would work (it is partially having to do with the phone and the BT protocol as well).

As for the ipod, ill try it a bit later today. Again, knowing that it's a totally different system, it will be curious to see how the older system handled ipod music vs the new. If anything, you could at least use that info as a "wtf acura why would you remove these things" kind of demonstration lol.

Neoshi, thanks. Yes, it might be helpful. Do you know what the OS is for the pre- and post-2018 systems?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Pre 2018 I'm not sure yet. Looks proprietary but in all likelihood it's a linux, qnx (might be this one), or windows ce (probably not, as winCE head units are easy to hack) platform. Post 2018 is Android for sure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.