Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
MDX has a timing belt, not a timing chain and it needs to be changed per manufacturer timeline or mileage. You are giving very bad information if you are talking about the Honda/Acura j35 motor.
If you read my original post you will see that I mention that one of the negatives of the MDX is that it has a timing belt. My comment above was about "timing chains".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just want to point out. 2k miles in with awd tech, towing a boat around after 600 mile break in, no issues at all. Only issue I had was wireless AA, but that what a phone setting issue with battery saving features turned on AA app when they shouldn't be on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks so much like an RDX !
Pete, Looks are subjective. I am not being rude by saying that maybe the front nose looks a little like the RDX, but the redesigned MDX is to me- so much more Muscular looking than the 2019 (which I had and traded in for the 2022 MDX). My 2019 MDX was a very good car, no problems other than the dated interior split dual screen InfoT system. But Having said that, the new one has the Fangled Touch Screen form the RDX - Acura is married to this system for now as it is appearing in all their new cars. I'm "learning" it, but still would have preferred a Touch Screen or even better both. And one of the problems in the new InfoT system is that the Intuitive Touch Pad works totally differently in Car Play or Android Auto (which I have).

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
ZF is nothing new and it is nothing spectacular, and it is old trans. Honda/Acura/Chrysler had good amount of problems with these . JATCO on other hand is not so bad, just CVT sucks. 7AT is bulletproof.
Toyota uses Aisen transmissions. I am not aware of any Nissan product with Aisen trans.
Is the FWD ZF9 transaxle mechanically identical to the RWD ZF9 transmission? My understanding is ZF’s RWD transmissions have been pretty solid, it’s the transaxle that is the problem.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
ZF is nothing new and it is nothing spectacular, and it is old trans. Honda/Acura/Chrysler had good amount of problems with these . JATCO on other hand is not so bad, just CVT sucks. 7AT is bulletproof.
Toyota uses Aisen transmissions. I am not aware of any Nissan product with Aisen trans.
My bad for responding 7 months late. Toyota has a huge stake in Aisen whereas Nissan has a huge stake in Jatco. That's why you don't see Aisen transmissions in Nissans and Jatco Transmissions in Toyotas.

·
Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
44 Posts
Pete, Looks are subjective. I am not being rude by saying that maybe the front nose looks a little like the RDX, but the redesigned MDX is to me- so much more Muscular looking than the 2019 (which I had and traded in for the 2022 MDX). My 2019 MDX was a very good car, no problems other than the dated interior split dual screen InfoT system. But Having said that, the new one has the Fangled Touch Screen form the RDX - Acura is married to this system for now as it is appearing in all their new cars. I'm "learning" it, but still would have preferred a Touch Screen or even better both. And one of the problems in the new InfoT system is that the Intuitive Touch Pad works totally differently in Car Play or Android Auto (which I have).
Lexus learned their lesson with the horrible track pad and made their screens touch-capable. And they're moving on to an entirely new system starting with the new NX. It would be nice if Acura just moved the screen a few inches close and gave people the option to touch. Even BMW was married to the iDrive controller for years and eventually incorporated touch screens.

Reactions: brian_tii

·
Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
44 Posts
Is the FWD ZF9 transaxle mechanically identical to the RWD ZF9 transmission? My understanding is ZF’s RWD transmissions have been pretty solid, it’s the transaxle that is the problem.
Which car are you referring to? I don't think ZF makes a 9-speed RWD/longitudinal transmission (maybe you're thinking of the 8-speed?). The 2022 MDX uses a Honda-developed 10-speed while the 2014-2020 uses the infamous ZF9. FWD and RWD transmissions are completely different.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lexus learned their lesson with the horrible track pad and made their screens touch-capable. And they're moving on to an entirely new system starting with the new NX. It would be nice if Acura just moved the screen a few inches close and gave people the option to touch. Even BMW was married to the iDrive controller for years and eventually incorporated touch screens.
I‘m probably in the minority but I don‘t like touchscreens. They are more distracting IMO while driving. Granted my previous MDX had the dual screens but the touch screen was easy to reach. But of course all of lemmings clubbed Acura for it so they went with the single screen in the RDX. It took a few days for me to master but the touchpad in my MDX is very intuitive to me. I can use it without even looking down at it now. When I test drove the GV80 I found that touch screen to be very far to reach and manipulate while driving. I guess the compromise is to have both options on vehicles but I have no idea why people want everything to be a giant IPad now. I cannot stand the Tesla setup because of it.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
Which car are you referring to? I don't think ZF makes a 9-speed RWD/longitudinal transmission (maybe you're thinking of the 8-speed?). The 2022 MDX uses a Honda-developed 10-speed while the 2014-2020 uses the infamous ZF9. FWD and RWD transmissions are completely different.
It was said earlier that the new Mallfinder is using a a ZF9, but that platform is back to RWD, so I was asking if it is internally similar to the FWD ZF9 used in the 3rd gen MDX and other Honda’s.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Aspec / 2019 Ridgeline Sport / 2007 335i Coupe
39 Posts
Go drive a Mazda CX-5 or 9 it’s what Acura should have given to the 2022 and had in the 3rd generation!

Here is a link discussing a Mazda . Around the 6 minute time is the drag race portion . It’s heavy but not slow. I’ve already taken the wheel off to inspect the brakes and they are all new design. I almost think they pulled many items from BMWs suppliers. The Nav screen and system is exact copy of bmw (minus the pad) , and the brakes do not use 14mm /17mm etc and now use the BMW style larger caliper with hex/Allen key , and the pad holding device is the same style as bmw. They also use a belt driven electric steering which I felt was exactly like BMWs feeling of firmness and didn’t know why until I found out by researching the part .
Headlights are bright as hell at night. Tail lights now look amazing ! Real leather unlike some bmw models with syntec. The sound system is fantastic and would cost you a lot for an upgrade in other cars. It’s missing horsepower for sure. It would be better if all MDXs had 40 hp more without a turbo. That’s the only real downside to this vehicle I have right now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 2002 RSX has a timing chain, there is nothing written in the manual about servicing it, hasn't failed yet, and mechanics tell me something else in the engine is likely to go bad before the timing chain does.

I surprisingly agree that the dial is better than a touchscreen, though takes a few days to get used to. I put a touchscreen Android Auto system in my RSX and (for everything except keyboard) think the MDX dial is easier to actually use while driving. The dial clicks and doesn't miss, whereas you need to look away from the road longer to aim and hit a touchscreen properly. I rented a Passport while on vaca last week and its touchscreen is pretty far away, requiring even more time needed to look away and aim. Glad Acura put the dial in the 2020 MDX, and the switch to the terrible trackpad is a big reason I didnt get the 2022 (along with losing the hybrid).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very interesting thought. Who else using ZF trans besides those mentioned above?
I know the BMW X3 I owned before this 2022 MDX was a ZF 8 speed. Completely different feeling than when I was looking at the Aspec TLX in 2018 with the ZF 9 speed. The BMW was super fast shifting up and down and was not sluggish at all. I think they were giving away ZF9 transmissions for a deal and Acura took it and regretted it with the feedback they got. I remember the test drive and asking the sales person why it would not shift when I clicked the paddles or if I did it twice it wouldn't even command it to do so. I tried sport settings and "manual mode". No luck because it was the transmission itself. It was just a horrible design.
I was sitting at the Honda dealer right after that TLX test drive and almost pulled the trigger on an outgoing 2017 Honda accord touring fully loaded for 29,900 out the door when it was listed at 36800. I should have done it. Anyway fast forward and I moved to Texas and ended up buying a 2019 ridgeline sport for a huge discount at 29000. So I feel like it ended up in my favor. I'm glad I didn't wait and get the 2020 model with the buttons for the transmission. I still like the shifter for the truck. For the MDX , I am okay with the design layout and the buttons.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2002 RSX has a timing chain, there is nothing written in the manual about servicing it, hasn't failed yet, and mechanics tell me something else in the engine is likely to go bad before the timing chain does.
My moms accord 4 cyl with the timing chain has 300,000 miles and still going. I don't think I see a need to service it either. So I agree!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I had a timing chain issue on an old old car (American V8), which may have no relevance to the design in the RSX, but what actually failed wasn't the chain - it was the cam sprocket the chain was on, which was worn enough to allow the chain to slip about 180 degrees (which made checking to see if it was a timing issue slightly more difficult). I went ahead and replaced both the gear and the chain since I was in there.

Regardless, generally with a timing chain, at least with a non-interference engine, there's no replacement interval specified and they can go a long time.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts