Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test drove this car. Absolutely beautiful. It felt slower than my 2016 MDX. Does Acura have a govenor on this to protect the transmission? Felt underwhelming. What I don't like is the flush rear end. The mildest of parking bumps from a careless driver will damage the metal rear hatch door. Also, I don't like the fact that Acura still has a timing belt that has to be changed every 7 years. Some Honda/Acura models do have timing chains. . Lastly, why do Honda Pilots have 3rd row air conditioning vents but the MDX still doesn't? The Lexus RX350 has quad zone climate control. Everything else about this vehicle is quite impressive though.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Slower because heavier.

Reactions: E92Vancouver

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wish Honda made a new v6 with timing chain. I hav the Mercedes c300 2012 w/ 162k, it has timing chain and it is still running solid. The K series engine has timing chain and it runs pretty well I like it a lot.
The new one looks really nice and sporty.

·
Super Moderator
2,078 Posts
I might be wrong, but Honda/Acura has timing chain on certain 4 cylinder engine, all V6 engines are using timing belt.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't change; that's what the thing has been for the J series since its inception back in the 90s, with the timing belt. And I have to agree too, with the whole 3rd row doesn't get A/C vents in the MDX. I guess Honda made the MDX's 3rd row to be not used regularly or something.

I might be wrong, but Honda/Acura has timing chain on certain 4 cylinder engine, all V6 engines are using timing belt.
K series are timing chains. All F series and older 4 cylinders are timing belts.

·
Registered
2019 advance red pearl parchment
136 Posts
Test drove this car. Absolutely beautiful. It felt slower than my 2016 MDX. Does Acura have a govenor on this to protect the transmission? Felt underwhelming. What I don't like is the flush rear end. The mildest of parking bumps from a careless driver will damage the metal rear hatch door. Also, I don't like the fact that Acura still has a timing belt that has to be changed every 7 years. Some Honda/Acura models do have timing chains. . Lastly, why do Honda Pilots have 3rd row air conditioning vents but the MDX still doesn't? The Lexus RX350 has quad zone climate control. Everything else about this vehicle is quite impressive though.
Maybe slower do to the new 10 speed transmission . Maybe you just have to get the revs up

·
Registered
57 Posts
Timing belt AND single overhead cam....but I agree, if it’s not broke, leave it alone!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could someone explain why the Lexus 3.5 might be better? I know it has a timing chain, it is DOHC and it is both direct injected and port injected. If it wasn’t for the RX 350 being long in the tooth and only ably to tow up to 3500 lbs, I would be interested, does Toyota/Lexus build a better V6? At least the MDX is a much sportier drive thanks to SH-AWD and double wishbone!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe slower do to the new 10 speed transmission . Maybe you just have to get the revs up
I drove it like I stole it. Sounded good but sluggish compared to the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could someone explain why the Lexus 3.5 might be better? I know it has a timing chain, it is DOHC and it is both direct injected and port injected. If it wasn’t for the RX 350 being long in the tooth and only ably to tow up to 3500 lbs, I would be interested, does Toyota/Lexus build a better V6? At least the MDX is a much sportier drive thanks to SH-AWD and double wishbone!
I test drove an RX350 last week. The 7 seater. Smaller than the MDX and yes, interior is dated. I am looking at the Armada now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Disappointing vehicle if you want sport. Soft concerning brake pedal feel. Light poor feel steering, unequal tranny ratios, very low first gear. No longer sporty. Drive a 2017-2020 sport hybrid and drive the 2022. No comparison. Acura misrepresents the 2022 as sporty. It’s not!
Go drive a Mazda CX-5 or 9 it’s what Acura should have given to the 2022 and had in the 3rd generation!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I drove it like I stole it. Sounded good but sluggish compared to the 3rd gen.
Thanks for the feedback that’s good to know.I’m not sure but I think they might have also turned down the top speed

·
Registered
964 Posts
I test drove an RX350 last week. The 7 seater. Smaller than the MDX and yes, interior is dated. I am looking at the Armada now.
My neighbour had Armada a few years back and called it a rattle box on wheels.

If you starting that route, take a look at Chevy Tahoe / GMC Denali. 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee is coming out soon and that one looks very interesting. Anyway, these are full size 3-row SUVs.

As for cross-over 3-row luxury segment, sadly new MDX does not provide enough room and trades utility for sportiness.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
May God bless your soul! I'd stay away from any Nissan product that's a result from the Carlos Ghosn era and with the new leadership. Nissan is a brand to stay away from, and we have owned 3 of these floating piles of junk. I've seen admins of the Nissan/Infiniti forums lemon law their new Titans and Armadas. And with the Armada being a new generation, you would be a genuine pig. Same can be said for the new Pathfinder, Rogue, and Frontier.

If you are the type of guy that takes vehicles to the stealerships for service, good luck surviving, cuz, Nissan hires incompetent people who will screw you over worse than BMW and MB service departments.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
May God bless your soul! I'd stay away from any Nissan product that's a result from the Carlos Ghosn era and with the new leadership. Nissan is a brand to stay away from, and we have owned 3 of these floating piles of junk. I've seen admins of the Nissan/Infiniti forums lemon law their new Titans and Armadas. And with the Armada being a new generation, you would be a genuine pig. Same can be said for the new Pathfinder, Rogue, and Frontier.

If you are the type of guy that takes vehicles to the stealerships for service, good luck surviving, cuz, Nissan hires incompetent people who will screw you over worse than BMW and MB service departments.
There is nothing new in Nissan lineup or Infiniti. They bring new sheet metal, but with old platforms. The only newer piece of engineering is a 2.5 VC turbo engine. Everything else is 10 year old technology.
But it should reliable, except the CVT transmission .

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,368 Posts
There is nothing new in Nissan lineup or Infiniti. They bring new sheet metal, but with old platforms. The only newer piece of engineering is a 2.5 VC turbo engine. Everything else is 10 year old technology.
But it should reliable, except the CVT transmission .
Right now they just introduced the ZF 9spd into the Pathfinder and Frontier. The Armada and Titan uses the notoriously famous POS AT from Jatco. Reliability isn't there for Nissan and I have personally seen this drop in the same generation of model but with a 3 MY gap. I am glad they realized a V6 w/ CVT is a horrible idea (still use it in the Maxima, Murano, and QX60).

If Nissan stopped using JATCO all together and started using brands that Toyota uses, I swear their reliability will be higher than right now. I am hopeful that Nissan in this post-Ghozn era, would see their flaws and improve on it and actually make products that are reliable and also make sure their ProPilot Assist system doesn't deem the vehicle as a deathbox.

Reactions: fatlard

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Right now they just introduced the ZF 9spd into the Pathfinder and Frontier. The Armada and Titan uses the notoriously famous POS AT from Jatco. Reliability isn't there for Nissan and I have personally seen this drop in the same generation of model but with a 3 MY gap. I am glad they realized a V6 w/ CVT is a horrible idea (still use it in the Maxima, Murano, and QX60).

If Nissan stopped using JATCO all together and started using brands that Toyota uses, I swear their reliability will be higher than right now. I am hopeful that Nissan in this post-Ghozn era, would see their flaws and improve on it and actually make products that are reliable and also make sure their ProPilot Assist system doesn't deem the vehicle as a deathbox.
ZF is nothing new and it is nothing spectacular, and it is old trans. Honda/Acura/Chrysler had good amount of problems with these . JATCO on other hand is not so bad, just CVT sucks. 7AT is bulletproof.
Toyota uses Aisen transmissions. I am not aware of any Nissan product with Aisen trans.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ZF is nothing new and it is nothing spectacular, and it is old trans. Honda/Acura/Chrysler had good amount of problems with these . JATCO on other hand is not so bad, just CVT sucks. 7AT is bulletproof.
Toyota uses Aisen transmissions. I am not aware of any Nissan product with Aisen trans.
I think most of the problems aren’t with zf it’s with programming which is left to the individual manufacture I think zf makes a better transmission than Jatco

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I think most of the problems aren’t with zf it’s with programming which is left to the individual manufacture I think zf makes a better transmission than Jatco
I guess then American manufactures dont know how to program. But yeah, it is way better than CVT

·
Registered
48 Posts
I guess then American manufactures dont know how to program. But yeah, it is way better than CVT
Very interesting thought. Who else using ZF trans besides those mentioned above? I might search for some feedback from Chrysler’s users to see how they reacted to the ZF. Any ZF9 used in European brands that don’t have similar issue Acura users are having.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts