Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Tesla Model Y

Tags
model y tesla
6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Siripaset 
#1 ·
After 19 years and 5 MDX's, I am seriously considering switching to a Tesla Model Y. Does anyone here have one or have experience with Tesla's in general?

#2 ·
Peronally I haven't, but I live vicariously through Rich Rebuilds. To sum up the experience:

1) Tesla cars are wonderful for the most part (aside from on-going, but worked on issues specifically related to the assembly and paint quality).
2) Tesla as a company is a horrible experience for customers in general.

#3 ·
As a collision repair technician, I have worked on a few Teslas. No model Y though.
I can tell you the build quality is quite subpar. The collision integrity leaves a lot to be desired as well.

#4 ·
We own a 2019 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor, Charging is not a problem. Car drives very smoothly and has a decently quiet interior. Sound system is great for the price and the 15 inch screen is perfect. On the model Y The rear seats are slightly uncomfortable because they have less cushion than Model 3 but it has a decent amount of interior space and a all-glass roof!! It never gets old looking out of it. Supercharging generally takes 20 minutes from 10% to 80% on their V3 superchargers, Charging cost ranges from 15$ to 25$ for a full 0-100% charge. Tesla's battery technology is one of the best and balances the battery pack frequently and tesla them selfs can run remote diagnostics on the car if you have any concerns of something malfunctioning. I personally love our Model 3 and I'm sure you'll love the Model Y.

#5 ·
Depending on your timeline for purchase...

Zero word of if/when Acura will have a +2022 hybrid or if this hybrid will have a plug-in option. Thinking (really wishing) it would be something similar to Volvo's +400 hp/tq plug-in hybrid system with 15-20 miles of EV range and +50 mpg in city driving (normal +25 mpg hwy). This is assuming you still need a conventional powertrain occasionally for extra long road trips, cargo space for Home Depot runs, and/or towing (or just a hitch for bike or cargo carrier).

#6 · (Edited)
I'm actually in the same boat as you, considering making the switch to a Tesla Model Y after years of driving different cars. The idea of going electric is intriguing, especially with all the buzz around Tesla's technology. It's like stepping into the future, right? While I haven't taken the plunge yet, I've been researching and hearing great things about Tesla's overall performance and features. Plus, the idea of contributing to a greener planet is a big draw for me. Speaking of features, have you had a chance to explore the Tesla interior? It's sleek and minimalist, with all these cool gadgets and touchscreen controls. Definitely adds to the appeal!