Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MDX basic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I've read alot in my month of research before finally making a purchase of a 2002 Acura MDX

When I bought the X, it rode smooth and I loved it. I bought it 95 miles from home. Dont get me wrong I still love it but two days ago it started shaking or vibrating while driving it at any and all speeds it gets worse and it gets louder when I turn the wheel left while driving if I turn the wheel right it seems to quiet down and relax a little my guess is it's front and related because the shaking is in the steering wheel I'm only I'm also guessing that it's on the passenger side I feel like I can feel it in that area I've read 20 or 30 forums and post a lot of them never posted their final results on if it ever got fixed I love the car I got plans on tweaking it a little bit I'm a father of seven and I just want this vehicle to be safe again. Thinking caliper/ball joint/ some assembly near tire/ can the cv axel cause this by going bad?
Im do my own work but im only youtube educated and ive shook wheels and felt fine.
Im taking it to have tires balance and rotated in 1-2 days maybe alignment it the mechanic suggests i need it.

Recap
Constant, hard[not violent persay] vibrating/shaking when in motion
Speed plays no factor to severety
Left turn at highway speeds causes louder and violent shaking, right turns at highway speeds removes most shakes [feels like a mild shake]
Im willing to run any suggested test but i may need brief description of how to fo it
Ive read the transmission has been the cause of many others so ive used the vehicle in d3 d4 d5... Neutral while driving 50mph, there us no change in shakes.

Also i forgot i have check engine light [02 sensor bank one #1 and #2] those will be changed when sensors arrive.
The vtm-4 light is on, honestly i had no idea what this was until research but the 4 in its name i was guessing the 4wheel drive. But im going to try empting the rear differential and filling it with vtm fluid and lucas treatment and cross my fingers... Ive read alot of posts that its common.

Sorry if this is long and confusing but thank you for any help efforts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it constant/consistent shaking(not shaking for 2 seconds then not shaking)? If so, sounds like it could be a tire bubble. I've had the belts on tires separate allowing an air blister to form making the tire oblong which would definitely cause shaking and vibration. Since it's felt in the steering, I'd guess a front tire. You could move the front tires to the rear and see if it changes the shaking. If so, that's likely the culprit.

Can't really help the vtm4 or sensor stuff as I'm a new mdx owner and still learning the quirks.

·
Registered
2002 MDX basic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its constant, from cold start driving 3mph to driving ad fast as i want, very consistent and constant.
Let's say the overall shaking is a 5/10
Turning left at speeds over 30 gets noisy and 8/10
Turning right calms it down some 3/10
[Turning descriptions only last until the wheel returns back to center]

Ill swap tires in a little bit and see if any change happens

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That sounds a lot like a (really) bad wheel bearing (the turning affecting the symptoms so much). Jack up the front corner, and see if there's noticeable play in the wheel, grabbing the wheel at 6- and 12 o'clock, then at 3- and 9-o'clock.

I'd also suspect one or both CV axles (check for play when you have the front corner's wheel in the air), and lower control arm bushings (which get dry-rotted and loose, causing all kinds of steering maladies). Look at the rear (compliance) bushings particularly. If they're nasty and torn, that's going to cause problems.

FWIW, when I bought my 160,000 mile '04, I just replaced both lower control arms and all the tie rods, just to make it drive and feel like a new car (which it did). Later, I swapped out the struts and shocks, too. You know you'll end up having to do all those if you keep the car for another 50-100,000 miles, so you're better off just doing it all at once, getting only one realignment, and having a car that handles and drives great!

·
Registered
2002 MDX basic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered an assembly of most of those parts, i had been excessively busy but i rotated the tires and i believe i found the culprit, tire at first looked fine, but i notice the tread looks worn slanted higher tread outer most part and slants lower going toward the center of the car.

I believe most parts are ok and a couple are a little wore, the cv joint moves some and concerns me i dont know if its supposed to but control arms tie rod, stabilizer and couple more are coming im leaving to drive it to test the tire theory and replace it.

·
Registered
2002 MDX basic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok today i drove the X after rotating the tires, turns out most the vibes left completely but at higher speeds the rear end started shake.

As planned i was headed to replace the previous 2 tires that were on front, and currently rear.
Two new tires and its as smooth as ever, i do plan on replacing the front end,myself since I have the parts ordered. This gives me the leisure of doing the work on my time rather a more immediate.
Thanks for the tips and things to look for.

Ps
I was under the vehicle completely doing the tire rotation, noticed trans fluid on bottom of tranny, and heavy oil somewhere above ac lines, all the way down under oil pan.
The rest is rust and fluid free so I'll be watching fluid levels and trying to diagnose this issue within the next month when I am under it with the front end.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Do all the front end work at the same time, and then get it aligned. Glad that you figured out the immediate issue (though the odd tire wear causing the problem is no doubt caused by an alignment issue).

You might try (carefully) washing your engine so you can get an idea where the oil / transmission fluid is actually coming from. Sometimes it can be something as simple as a ham-handed oil change tech spilling oil while swapping the filter.

·
Registered
2002 MDX basic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a little late on the conclusion but nevertheless I got brand new tires around, the original problem was a single tire had a belt break but visually was hard to notice.
Replaced tires fixed my issue
2 weeks later I got the front suspension parts and installed them, and now drives so smooth. The tires make a huge difference I've notice.

I don't think the X like older tires anyway.
Thanks for feedback though this is a late post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts