Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my CDMA telematics unit with an LTE telematics unit. Does anyone have the instructions on how to do this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the post up E92!

I've noticed my AcuraLink LED has been intermittently red rather than green over the past few months and even called Acura about it - never knew there was a CDMA unit which will essentially be obsolete causing the issue.

Well, we'll see if Acura does this out of warranty; I have an Acuralink basic subscription still, so I'd do my best to ensure they do.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
CDMA will be around for a while in the US with Verizon and Sprint, but once we all move entire to LTE and VoLTE, we will likely see the removal of CDMA transmission. At that point, I expect that Acura will probably do what other brands have done, including: 1) giving owners an option to update the telematics unit or 2) giving owners a credit for the remaining services that they were providing. But I'm guessing owners who don't subscribe and just have the usual 3 years free for traffic will just get nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At the dealer now and they say my 2015 MDX telematics control unit is shot. I brought it in because last night driving and all my systems warning light came on. Hill start assit, emissions, Forward collision, lane departure, power steering and even a engine tempeture too high warning came on.

Question is it common for the TCU to cause those faults?

I just had the engine short block replaced (under warranty, thank god) and now this $2500+ repair.
Hopefully my extended warranty will cover this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2015 MDX Tech. Love the car but have an issue with downloading all of my contacts to the car. The local dealer has recommended that I replace the Telematics. I can make and receive calls, it will show the "recent" calls.. but nada on the contacts. Does anyone have any further guidance on this issue? I am not chomping at the bit to spend $2,500 for a "place to start" in the repair.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I recently purchased a 2015 MDX Tech. Love the car but have an issue with downloading all of my contacts to the car. The local dealer has recommended that I replace the Telematics. I can make and receive calls, it will show the "recent" calls.. but nada on the contacts. Does anyone have any further guidance on this issue? I am not chomping at the bit to spend $2,500 for a "place to start" in the repair.
If the calling works fine, definitely don't spend the money replacing something that isn't broken. How often do you plan on scrolling through contacts on the car's navigation screen? Seems tedious/dangerous. I recommend using your phone's built-in voice assistant to dial. I don't even know if my MDX has my contacts in it because it's far easier to just ask my phone to call [contact name]. Eyes stay on the road the whole time.
If your phone doesn't have a voice assistant, all of your recent calls stay in the MID so it's easy to redial with 2 clicks of the steering wheel phone button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to replace my CDMA telematics unit with an LTE telematics unit. Does anyone have the instructions on how to do this?
If the calling works fine, definitely don't spend the money replacing something that isn't broken. How often do you plan on scrolling through contacts on the car's navigation screen? Seems tedious/dangerous. I recommend using your phone's built-in voice assistant to dial. I don't even know if my MDX has my contacts in it because it's far easier to just ask my phone to call [contact name]. Eyes stay on the road the whole time.
If your phone doesn't have a voice assistant, all of your recent calls stay in the MID so it's easy to redial with 2 clicks of the steering wheel phone button.

That does work... but I can't see who is calling without looking at the phone. Like I said... Certainly not worth $2400 or whatever. I can buy a telematics privately... wonder if it is a "plug and play" item? Probably not.. just thinking the manufacturer will want their chop on things...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure where you might be location wise, but the United States dealers have NO CLUE about the replacement for the telematics control unit. Likewise, I did find a TCU at the dealer in Hamilton, Ont, Ca for $1,248.00, but they can't ship anything across the border. I'm in Michigan, so I guess I'm close to Canada, so maybe a road trip is coming up, but I've got to update my passport to get in, if they're letting people in...LOL
I spoke with parts guys in Michigan and even Illinois, and they were completely mystified. Furthermore, I've found out that Acura Canada and Acura USA don't even know that the other company exist, except for what they've seen on TV, it seems. They do not talk to each other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts