Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little disappointed that my new 2017 MDX doesn't have the safety feature that would stop the car from running into a wall. If the car is in cruise control it will stop automatically. Why wouldn't it be able to stop at 5mph?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Same here, was surprised. Definitely not a good show for Acura.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Acura accurately documents the behavior of the Collision Mitigation Braking System.

https://www.acura.com/mdx/modals/collision-mitigation-braking-system said:
To help reduce the likelihood or severity of a frontal impact, the Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™) uses both a radar system and a high-resolution forward camera to recognize hazards such as vehicles or a pedestrian. The system can use up to 80% of full braking power to avoid or reduce impact with the detected object.

• Powered by a radar transmitter mounted in the MDX grille trim, the CMBS determines the distance and closing speed of detected objects that lie directly ahead.
  • The goal of the CMBS system is to alert the driver to apply the brakes. It is not alone expected to brake the vehicle sufficiently to avoid all collisions.
How many times have you run into a wall, previously?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was also surprised the 17 did not have this feature. When I test drove the QX60 I was impressed that on an off ramp without touching the brake, the vehicle slowed and stopped behind a car at the end of the ramp.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
1st World Problems right here...

"My car does not fully stop when I am distracted not paying attention to the road to avoid a crash."

·
Registered
695 Posts
Every car I have ever owned had that feature, it’s called a brakes....mine have a pedal that controls them...

·
Registered
500 Posts
OP is a troll...what he/she wanted to post is "Hey any luxury SUV shoppers considering the MDX, the RX has automatic braking so you can continue down the path of becoming less and less engaged in the joy of operating a vehicle, you must be a bottom feeder if you want an MDX which still has an ounce of spirited driving dynamics and requires you to atleast be 95% attentive to the task of driving"...OK I added that last part.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Don't understand why you guys are flaming the OP? While I would not trust the Forward Emergency Braking system (as Infiniti calls it) for full time braking, it is a nice backup safety feature. After having driven other vehicles that had the emergency braking feature, I was surprised the 17 MDX did not have this feature, given the other upgrades on the 17 Advance (over my 11 Advance). The MDX has a similar system, but does not activate until a crash is likely. The system Infiniti and others use detects closing distance sooner, reacts quicker, and would avoid more potential crashes.

Although I guess I should not be surprised, in that Acura always seems to run behind in the technology area (one example, my 11 Advance had a key to start, while my 4 yr older 07 Lexus has push button keyless start; nav and other deficiencies well documented on this site). So your next question is probably why would you own four MDXs. Answer is that the MDX is still the most value for the money. I had said that I would not be getting a fourth, but the 17, with the front modification and other improvements over my 11 (including substantial gas mileage improvement), I could not bring myself to pay another 20-40K for Cayenne or other competition (not an affordability issue), plus there was dealer lease money that got the pricing down to within 2k of what I paid for my 11 Advance.

On a positive note, seeing Carli's signature, the Chevy SS brought back memories of one of my favorite vehicles I wish I still had (I am an old fart), a 1966 Chevelle SS 396. Wish I still had that, my 72 Grand Prix, and my 79 Corvette (all bought new). After that it was more family cars, until an old 74 Merc 450 SL that I had for a few years. Now my play vehicle is the truck.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don't understand why you guys are flaming the OP? While I would not trust the Forward Emergency Braking system (as Infiniti calls it) for full time braking, it is a nice backup safety feature. After having driven other vehicles that had the emergency braking feature, I was surprised the 17 MDX did not have this feature, given the other upgrades on the 17 Advance (over my 11 Advance). The MDX has a similar system, but does not activate until a crash is likely. The system Infiniti and others use detects closing distance sooner, reacts quicker, and would avoid more potential crashes.
My previous vehicle had a more active CMBS and it was annoying. Most systems use a camera in addition to radar, and they still get confused under some situations. There was one particular overpass that I would drive under and if it was around mid-day then the CMBS would activate and my brakes would aggressively apply even though no one was in front of me. Something about the curve of the road must have had the support column of the overpass in the "line" of the radar and the quick change from light/dark/light confused the camera and the CMBS activated. It scared the heck out of me the first time it happened!

So as far as CMBS goes, I like the idea of reducing the likelyhood of crashes -- and especially the severity of them. But I also know first-hand how dangerous an over-active system can be. Ultimately, until true self-driving vehicles are the norm, we still need to take 100% responsibility when we drive. And I'd rather have something that "helps" when it can, but leaves me in charge opposed to a system that is too aggressive and can actually CAUSE crashes.

Reactions: carli123

·
Registered
695 Posts

Although I guess I should not be surprised, in that Acura always seems to run behind in the technology area (one example, my 11 Advance had a key to start, while my 4 yr older 07 Lexus has push button keyless start; nav and other deficiencies well documented on this site). So your next question is probably why would you own four MDXs. Answer is that the MDX is still the most value for the money. I had said that I would not be getting a fourth, but the 17, with the front modification and other improvements over my 11 (including substantial gas mileage improvement), I could not bring myself to pay another 20-40K for Cayenne or other competition (not an affordability issue), plus there was dealer lease money that got the pricing down to within 2k of what I paid for my 11 Advance.

On a positive note, seeing Carli's signature, the Chevy SS brought back memories of one of my favorite vehicles I wish I still had (I am an old fart), a 1966 Chevelle SS 396. Wish I still had that, my 72 Grand Prix, and my 79 Corvette (all bought new). After that it was more family cars, until an old 74 Merc 450 SL that I had for a few years. Now my play vehicle is the truck.
I’ll admit it, I don’t trust automatic brakes....

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I have the 1st Gen ACC/CMBS in my 11 MDX and I'm perfectly happy on how it performs only at higher speeds. I've had the CMBS engage about 4-5 times when the system was needed because of the road conditions in +3 yrs/70,000 miles. False alarms are about 30X higher with warning lights and/or beeping and/or tugging of seat belts (no full braking false alarms). Hopefully, the 2nd gen ACC/CMBS is better at reducing false/positive events; but, I can see how they would be increased if the system worked at +5 mph and it needed to recognize something as small as a toddler.

My SWAG is providing a full automatic stop feature would be a liability issue with Honda/Acura paying out a lot of $$$ in litigation and recalls if the system fails to operate as advertised. I can see a driver disabling the system because of the false alarms and getting into an accident and suing Acura/Honda.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts