Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Techinfo.honda vs ebay Manual

So, I want to get my hands on a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for my 2012 MDX, I'm now a firm believer in electronic versions over paper, and also a factory service manual over a Chilton (or similar).

It seems my options are https://techinfo.honda.com/ or by a DVD with the manual off eBay for about $45.

I'm looking for a little info from anyone that has experience with either.

-The eBay manual (2010 2011 2012 Acura MDX Shop Service Repair Manual DVD Engine Drivetrain Wiring | eBay) that looks like a FSM is from Bishko, is that the actual FSM or is it an aftermarket manual?
-Any weird protection on the DVD that prevents me from copying the DVD contents to my hard-drive/google drive so I can access the info without the DVD?

techinfo.honda costs $10 for a day's worth of access.
-Can you save pdfs off there?
-Are they actually the FSM?
-How many PDFs is the entire FSM broken down into?
-Is there a download limit (i.e. can only download 10 PDFs/hour)?
-If it is a lot of files to download to get the entire manual, has anyone written a script to automate the download process?
-Is a one-day membership enough time to get all of the manual?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I debated too, ended up buying used vol 1&2 Honda published paper service manuals off of eBay. I don't have a computer in my garage so easier for me at least to just have the manual sitting open on the workbench. I have been working on my wife's MDX since it went out of warranty and wish I would have bought the books earlier. I am moving to the sticks so losing my network of mechanic friends and she is going to drive it at least another 100k miles so figured it was money in the bank. Figured if I am surfing on here and someone needs help I can always send them the info they need too, pay it forward for the help others have given me over the years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I debated too, ended up buying used vol 1&2 Honda published paper service manuals off of eBay. I don't have a computer in my garage so easier for me at least to just have the manual sitting open on the workbench. I have been working on my wife's MDX since it went out of warranty and wish I would have bought the books earlier. I am moving to the sticks so losing my network of mechanic friends and she is going to drive it at least another 100k miles so figured it was money in the bank. Figured if I am surfing on here and someone needs help I can always send them the info they need too, pay it forward for the help others have given me over the years.
Yeah, I used to be a paper manual guy. then i got a pdf manual for one of my cars. I hated it for a long while, then I started loving it. The ability to ctrl+F and type in a term made things so easy!

Find what I need, print those pages out if necessary. I'll probably go with the eBay manual, but I might check out the 1-day subscription to techinfo to see what that has just for my own education.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm in the same boat, and want to decide if to go with the manual on eBay or techinfo.honda. Wondering if you have the answers to your question? Thanks!

techinfo.honda costs $10 for a day's worth of access.
-Can you save pdfs off there?
-Are they actually the FSM?
-How many PDFs is the entire FSM broken down into?
-Is there a download limit (i.e. can only download 10 PDFs/hour)?
-If it is a lot of files to download to get the entire manual, has anyone written a script to automate the download process?
-Is a one-day membership enough time to get all of the manual?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts