Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
my clicking/tapping sound has diappeared with the colder wheather as well. However, I haven't check the throttle clamp yet, as suggested earlier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I poked around under the front and in the wheel well today and I noticed that the brake caliper has quite a bit of play in it. In fact you can move it around quite a bit. This could certainly be the sorce of the noise. I decided to drive it over to the dealer today, to let them know in person that the problem is not fixed.

I asked the service manager about the play in the caliper and he wasn't sure if there should be that much play in the caliper. We took it for a drive to reproduce the problem, but he wouldn't confirm that he could hear the noise.

Anyhow, I'm not much further along than I was before... The service rep is going to give me a call later today to discuss what to do next...

Anyone else have "loose" calipers? Maybe this is normal, but it definately seems like the caliper could bounce around a bit over bumps... To test this (left side), just turn your wheel all the way to the left and try to move the caliper around a bit from the inner side of the wheel (CAREFUL, THE BRAKE SURFACES MAY BE HOT, especially the disk and the pads!).

This may also explain why it is a temperature related, since normal contraction and expansion could tighten up the parts a bit.. (Maybe??)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Found It!

Well, we're all exhibiting similar (but sometimes different) symptoms and obviously root causes.

I finally figured mine out:

On the side of the driver's side dash, near where the door speaker and dash meet when the door's closed, there's a crappy door/cover (like the one that covers the jack in back, only without the latch). It provides access to the driver's side fuse box (or MCU, I can't remember which). Anyway, it wasn't a tight fit. I put a very small piece of the fuzzy-side of velcro on the back to tighten it up. Clicking gone.

I hope Acura doesn't ask for the spring silencer back :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Great work!

I am going to take a look at that the first chance I get... Did you tend to feel the tapping too? I'm hoping this is my problem as well, but I tend to "feel" the tapping through my left foot as well... (There's a joke in there somewhere).

Great work, I've got my fingers crossed that this'll work for mine!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Re: Found It!

TheWorm said:
Well, we're all exhibiting similar (but sometimes different) symptoms and obviously root causes.

I finally figured mine out:

On the side of the driver's side dash, near where the door speaker and dash meet when the door's closed, there's a crappy door/cover (like the one that covers the jack in back, only without the latch). It provides access to the driver's side fuse box (or MCU, I can't remember which). Anyway, it wasn't a tight fit. I put a very small piece of the fuzzy-side of velcro on the back to tighten it up. Clicking gone.

I hope Acura doesn't ask for the spring silencer back :rolleyes:
Yeah, great job, I'll check mine when I get home tonight. I hope that's it.
PS. Does the srping silencer do anything to quiet the ride vs without it?

Thanks,
DBastian

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
mdxrb - I couldn't really feel the tapping - just could hear it. Then again, the click manifest itself ove bumps so there was a LOT more to feel that I think would "drown out" a potential tap from near my foot. I don't think the panel has enough mass to create something you can feel - it can't weigh more than a few ounces. If you can actually feel the tapping I'd keep poking around that wheel well.

dbastian - I didn't notice much difference after the spring silencer; keep in mind, however, that the dealer decided to do thud fixes A and B (retorque and silencer), neither of which addressed the problem; and I believe the suspension was OK/in-spec to begin with.

When I was poking around I did notice that there is potential for some excessive play in the wheel well itself; there's a black plastic cover (that you can see from the outside) covering the "scoop" of the wheel well (bascially separating the wheel assembly from the engine compartment). It's attached by plastic push-in clips. If they're not in there tight I can see that large plastic piece shifting up/down 1/8" or so...and it's big enough to be felt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No Luck

TheWorm,

I checked the part you mentioned, and it doesn't seem to be my problem... :( I can't seem to find anything else underneath or in the wheel well that might be the culprit.

I'm pretty sure that my problem is suspension related. The noise seems to match the wheel movement (i.e. up and down), so I think it is a loose part that moves with the wheel. It is the most noticeable when going through an intersection with 'ruts' that are perpendicular to your direction of travel (i.e. the kind heavy traffic makes in the pavement). The vehicle stays flat, but the up and down wheel movement is accompanied by the noise, which is felt via the floor boards.

I'm not going to mess around with the suspension, so I guess it will have to go back to the dealer...

Thanks for your help, I'm glad you were able to fix your problem...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
front left noise/suspension noises

i heard that some of the 2001 models had this problem. it's a flaw in certain made vehicles its the shock tower on the left side. could be shock absorber hitting the spring or the bushing needing to be replaced with new bushing and a fix it kit whichs dealers have. i spoke to my local acura mechanic who used to service exotic cars costing $250,000 to $500,000 cars a real wiz with cars. he told me if my 2002 tourw/nav mdx starts up with the suspension noise just bring it in and they already have a fix it kit to solve the problem. acura is aware and tried to fix on all 2002 models but some early ones may not have the new kit problem installed. nothing to worry about simple fix at dealer. my 2002 hasn't had the problem but only have 150 miles so far, but i do listen for noises on a regular basis. best of luck guys again its a simple fix:D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
simple fix at dealer

shock aborber hits spring acura is aware of noise and has a fix kit to replace bushing shock or shock tower noise i haven't heard in my 2002 mdx they were supposed to have fixed all the new models for 2002 some of the early ones are still experiencing the problem tell your local dealer and i'm sure there top mechanic will know about this issue it's been around for a while acura nows that's one reason i waited for the 2002 model. fix on noises, gas tank fix for noise, thicker glass and more insulation. among some small technical updates :D

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Paul123

Paul,

What you're talking about is what we refer to as The Thud, and we're intimately aware of it. As you mention, there's a TSB on it (which has been out for a few months now).

The recent discussion in this thread isn't The Thud. It's something else and apparently differs for each of us; it just happens to be coming from similar locations.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Paul123

in addition to the thud is a bushing repair which may take away the noise you are referring to my 2002 dealer mechanic said they changed a bushing in the front to avois another noise other than the thud again a believe a conreol arm bushing or bushing with the tower on shoch he didn't specify but said not to worry on the 2002 model and have been noise free so far
TheWorm said:
Paul,

What you're talking about is what we refer to as The Thud, and we're intimately aware of it. As you mention, there's a TSB on it (which has been out for a few months now).

The recent discussion in this thread isn't The Thud. It's something else and apparently differs for each of us; it just happens to be coming from similar locations.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Re: Paul123

paul123 said:
in addition to the thud is a bushing repair which may take away the noise you are referring to my 2002 dealer mechanic said they changed a bushing in the front to avois another noise other than the thud again a believe a conreol arm bushing or bushing with the tower on shoch he didn't specify but said not to worry on the 2002 model and have been noise free so far
Paul,

I still think you're talking about the Thud. The Thud had 3 components, not necessarily all at once:

- retorque lower-arm to subframe bolts
- install spring silencers (to avoid the front damper spring from rubbing the end of the spring)
- faulty dampers

I realize none of these are "bushings" but in your previous post you mentioned "shock absorber touching spring" which is clearly the second Thud cause above and the control arm sounds suspiciously like the first Thud cause.

If there is, indeed a different issue (which I haven't seen posted here) does your mechanic buddy have a TSB he can tell us about so we can post it?

BTW you can reference The Thud TSB by clicking here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
More info

Paul,

Can you find out the actual part name for that "bushing". Someone also mentioned a replacement of the "upper strut bearing". Let me know if this is the part you are refering to. My dealer is clueless, can you let me know the dealer you are working with (if you don't mind that is)? Maybe I can have my dealer call them...

Worm/Paul: I agree with both of you, this is different from the commonly known "THUD" and my dealer has tried all the fixes in the THUD TSB, to no avail.

rb

Edit: Here is a link to the post about the "upper strut bearing": (I hope this link works)
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=972&highlight=front+left

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Paul123

i will to get to him and get the spec's on that issue so you can post what is tsb, as i am a new member and not sure of the meaning will follow up shortly on the fix problem so everyone can fix, again i know he mentioned it was definetly a bushing issue not the items you mentioned that was another problem he said. the mechanic was a wiz he just came to acura, and used to work on exotic car's $250,000-$500,000 cars seeemed to be very knowable on the car. me being a part-time mechanic and family in the gas station industry for years.
TheWorm said:

Paul,

I still think you're talking about the Thud. The Thud had 3 components, not necessarily all at once:

- retorque lower-arm to subframe bolts
- install spring silencers (to avoid the front damper spring from rubbing the end of the spring)
- faulty dampers

I realize none of these are "bushings" but in your previous post you mentioned "shock absorber touching spring" which is clearly the second Thud cause above and the control arm sounds suspiciously like the first Thud cause.

If there is, indeed a different issue (which I haven't seen posted here) does your mechanic buddy have a TSB he can tell us about so we can post it?

BTW you can reference The Thud TSB by clicking here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Clicking sound in dash or driver's floor

I seem to have the same problem. I noticed it around the 600 mile mark. I have a clicking sound that seems to come out of the dash in back of the wheel when my front left tire hits a depression in the road. It doesn't seem to happen much if it hits a bump though. Annoying...I have a 2002 Acura MDX. Does any one have a definitive solution from the dealer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
my dealer has repaired many things but has yet to find the source of the chatter. The source, sounds and feels like the front left. It seems to be temperature sensitive, because it disappeared this past winter. I have been playing around with the gear selector in D5 and D4 to see if that makes a difference. I have notice that the MDX doesn't like D5 in the city. I only notice the noise between 50-80 kph. (30-50mph)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Could be the brake pads rattling around. I found the brake pads to be a little loose and when cold tend to rattle and when the SUV warms up it goes away!

·
Registered
80 Posts
rskagawa--
My 2002 MDX is at the dealer at this very instant for this very problem. The service guy I just spoke to says he can't find the source, and he claims it has something to do with the Nokia Handsfree car kit I had installed or the Infinity speaker upgrade I performed. I know it has nothing to do with the speakers, because the car had the click before I put in the speakers (and the click isn't coming from the door.) As for the handsfree kit, I guess that's a possibility since the click popped up about the same time I had the work done, but it could just be a coincidence. If there's some kind of tie or clip loose, they should be able to find it easily. Do you have any kind of aftermarket mod that could be causing the clicking? It seems like they're trying to pass the buck on fixing this by claiming it's not their fault. Please keep me posted on what you find out.

Jon

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
misterjon said:
rskagawa--
My 2002 MDX is at the dealer at this very instant for this very problem. The service guy I just spoke to says he can't find the source, and he claims it has something to do with the Nokia Handsfree car kit I had installed or the Infinity speaker upgrade I performed. I know it has nothing to do with the speakers, because the car had the click before I put in the speakers (and the click isn't coming from the door.) As for the handsfree kit, I guess that's a possibility since the click popped up about the same time I had the work done, but it could just be a coincidence. If there's some kind of tie or clip loose, they should be able to find it easily. Do you have any kind of aftermarket mod that could be causing the clicking? It seems like they're trying to pass the buck on fixing this by claiming it's not their fault. Please keep me posted on what you find out.

Jon
That the dealer way of saying "I can't find the problem" so we blame it on any type of modifications that you made. It's common in the industry. You may have to take it one level up to the regional manager.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
misterjon said:
rskagawa--
My 2002 MDX is at the dealer at this very instant for this very problem.

Jon
This is really bizzare, just passed 600 miles on my new X and occassionally notice a clicking sound in the lower left of the dash over harsh bumps.
I noticed this while doing the vinyl treatment thing today. With the driver's door open, look at the lower portion of the dash near the door jamb. It has two sections, the lower one about 2 inches high. The plastic makes a 'snap' when I press just above the separation line.
Might this be the culprit?

41 - 60 of 107 Posts