Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

It's been 3 months since I received my White 02 base. I've been pretty happy with it (altough NOT happy with the Dealership). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else is seeing the following issue. It seems more frequently than not that when I tap the brakes to slow down the MDX the computer abruptly downshifts into a lower gear. I find this very annoying, and the passengers get this look like I'm slamming the brakes on. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I live in a very hilly part of Colorado Spring, CO. But I sure wish I coud disable or do something to minimize this. Any Ideas?

Regards,
PaidtooMuch

·
Registered
396 Posts
That's the way it was designed (Grade Logic). Just keep driving your rig and you'll notice that this type of tranny is a pleasure to drive. We all love it here at the group, & you will too in time. You could drive in 2nd all day to avouid the shifting, but I dont think the gearing would last too long. This design also saves the brakes, Also, if you dont tap the brakes downhill, it wont downshift.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for this

Thanks for posting this -- I too kept thinking 'why do I feel a brake surge????'

·
Registered
619 Posts
move to Tx. You won't have the problem anymore.:D

jk. Sorry, but i don't think u will be able to modify the grade logic system to prevent the downshifts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was out testing this today and noticed that I had to push on the brake moderately hard to get it to downshift. Perhaps paidtoomuch's mdx is set too sensitively for the downshift?

·
Registered
87 Posts
We took delivery of our MDX in February and I noticed the exact same thing. It was hard to get used to in the beginning, but after a couple weeks it has been really nice. When you are coasting on a downgrade, the transmission keeps your car from going too fast and riding the brakes all the way down.

On a recent ski trip while driving up the mountain, the transmission was great for passing all the V8 explorers and expeditions!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Never seemed to notice it here in Miami... I guess because it is so flat.

glad I read about it as I am planning a summer trip to the smokies... Anyone in the mountain regions have any problems with the tranny/mdx overheating during steep climbs? (without a trailer)

·
Registered
570 Posts
paidtoomuch said:
Hey Everyone,

It's been 3 months since I received my White 02 base. I've been pretty happy with it (altough NOT happy with the Dealership). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else is seeing the following issue. It seems more frequently than not that when I tap the brakes to slow down the MDX the computer abruptly downshifts into a lower gear. I find this very annoying, and the passengers get this look like I'm slamming the brakes on. Maybe it's just me or the fact that I live in a very hilly part of Colorado Spring, CO. But I sure wish I coud disable or do something to minimize this. Any Ideas?

Regards,
PaidtooMuch
Hey, What part of C/S you in? I'm over on the far east/ central springs? I just got the Mesa Beige Met. one, but not sure what your saying. Took it on a long trip & didn't notice that?

·
Registered
120 Posts
downshifting

I too have been experiencing the same problem on my 2004. I have had the technician ride with me on two occasions and I could not replicate the problem. But, whenever I drive around town and I apply the brakes the car seems to downshift rather abruptly. I don't think that grade logic was meant to do this. I now find that I don't have to even be on a hill for the car to downshift. It is not a gradual downshift, it feels as though I tapped the brakes hard and then let go. Does not feel right, but I can't seem to ever replicate when I am driving with a tech.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Re: downshifting

rerodgers said:
I too have been experiencing the same problem on my 2004. I have had the technician ride with me on two occasions and I could not replicate the problem. But, whenever I drive around town and I apply the brakes the car seems to downshift rather abruptly. I don't think that grade logic was meant to do this. I now find that I don't have to even be on a hill for the car to downshift. It is not a gradual downshift, it feels as thought I tapped the brakes hard and then let go. Does not feel right, but I can seem to ever replicate when I am driving with a tech.
Count me in. I imagine I could get it to do it for the tech - just about everytime I touch the brakes it downshifts. Feels terrible and people in the car always think I'm jamming on the brakes. I think it's terrible if this is the way it was designed!

Get used to it? After a year and a half and 31k later, still not used to it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
We went to Kings Canyon National Park about 3 weeks ago.
Coming down the mountianous road from 7000 ft., I was able to keep the MDX at a constant speed through the esses when first invoking 'grade logic'.
It worked great! On flatter sections it would simply upshift when I nudged the accelerator, then the next section I would brake just enough to snub it down to the previous speed, and it took over again.
What helped was a correctly banked road, that was also silky smooth through most of the descent. I did have it in D4 for most of the way. There was never enough straight road for the vehicle to run in D5 for any reasonable duration.
Ideally, that's how it should work. But all the correct conditions have to be in play.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I guess I'm old-fashioned. I like to put it in a gear and let the transmission/engine do the work, not some computer thinking for me. Too bad they never made the X in a 5-speed manual.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've noticed the same issue with my '05 and cannot get used to it.

It tends to downshift when I take my foot off the gas at a moderate speed. It's annoying, very "Hal doing the driving". Also, the transmission doesn't hold the car on an incline. If you're stopped on a hill and take your foot off the brake, the car rolls backward. Very dangerous coming out of a steep city garage.

And shift into first going downhill, and right around 25mph the car jerks into low gear VERY abruptly.

I must say, going up a steep hill, the acceleration is fantastic and overall the ride is great. But the transmission is always doing unexpected shifts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
td284 said:
Also, the transmission doesn't hold the car on an incline. If you're stopped on a hill and take your foot off the brake, the car rolls backward. Very dangerous coming out of a steep city garage.
'Xactly! If I have to drive it like a manual, give me a shifter!

Someone told me that has to do with the grade logic, too. Not very logically if you ask me. I saw a commerical or article for SOME car and they were talking about how when you take your foot off the brake, they have something built-in that holds the car for X seconds while you take the time to hit the gas. And it was an AUTOMATIC! Aren't we going backwards here?

·
Registered
166 Posts
dipersp said:

'Xactly! If I have to drive it like a manual, give me a shifter!

Someone told me that has to do with the grade logic, too. Not very logically if you ask me. I saw a commerical or article for SOME car and they were talking about how when you take your foot off the brake, they have something built-in that holds the car for X seconds while you take the time to hit the gas. And it was an AUTOMATIC! Aren't we going backwards here?
Any steep hill any automatic can roll backwards on a steep incline while releaseing off the brake.

My 2005 Pathfinder, 2003 Tahoe and 1999 TL does it. :3:
Since you are aware of it, just be cautious at all times. Maybe learn how to use left foot on brake and right foot on gas just for these type of situations. I had to learn this while I use to tow a 6000 boat. ;)
Nothing to it. :2:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Re: Re: downshifting

dipersp said:

Count me in. I imagine I could get it to do it for the tech - just about everytime I touch the brakes it downshifts. Feels terrible and people in the car always think I'm jamming on the brakes. I think it's terrible if this is the way it was designed!

Get used to it? After a year and a half and 31k later, still not used to it.
Exactly! I posted on this subject a couple of years ago and all the responses were basically "huh...what...don't know what you're talking about." At least now there are some folks who have also noticed this "feature."

Any time I head to the mountains, all the passengers ask me why I keep jamming on the brakes. It's very aggravating.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Re: Re: Re: downshifting

perk said:

Exactly! I posted on this subject a couple of years ago and all the responses were basically "huh...what...don't know what you're talking about." At least now there are some folks who have also noticed this "feature."

Any time I head to the mountains, all the passengers ask me why I keep jamming on the brakes. It's very aggravating.
With all the complaints, Acura should just implement a Grade Logic On/Off Switch. Use it if you like it, don't if you find it intrusive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am not convinced it is grade logic or if it is there is no way they intended this to happen. Besides, I am not talking about driving down 7-9% grades down from Pikes Peak. I am talking about this happening on very slight downhills and I might have even noticed it on flats when I am braking. It doesn't happen all the time but it seems to be happening more frequently.

No other car I have ever owned has such a "feature". It literally is so abrubt people ask me why I am hitting the brakes and I have to tell them it is an "acura" feature.

On top of that, I now for the second time with only 30K miles have to have my brakes fixed because my rotors are warped. The last time they turned my rotors at 15K and now 15K later they are warped again. If you ask me the brakes suck on this car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts