Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about 6'3", not particularly leggy or torsoey, but I'm having trouble finding comfort for my left knee. I am used to letting my left leg relax against the door but when I do so in this vehicle, the pointiest part of the door (the corner of the ledge that leads into the window switches/door locks) digs into the boniest part of the left side of my knee.

I have owned 1st and 2nd gen mdx's but never ran into this before. This 2019 mdx seems like it has a needlessly sharp corner where it hits my knee. I feel like I would need a pillow there for any long trip.

I found that raising the seat a bit helps to avoid this boney part in my knee but it's still not great. I would normally have my seat all the way down, and all the way back.

Putting my foot flat on the floor seems to help but feels odd. Having size 15 shoe doesn't help either.

I also read about the dead pedal issue where people complain that it's needlessly large. Maybe that's part of my problem? I don't know.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone had any tips or strategies for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm about 6'3", not particularly leggy or torsoey, but I'm having trouble finding comfort for my left knee. I am used to letting my left leg relax against the door but when I do so in this vehicle, the pointiest part of the door (the corner of the ledge that leads into the window switches/door locks) digs into the boniest part of the left side of my knee.

I have owned 1st and 2nd gen mdx's but never ran into this before. This 2019 mdx seems like it has a needlessly sharp corner where it hits my knee. I feel like I would need a pillow there for any long trip.

I found that raising the seat a bit helps to avoid this boney part in my knee but it's still not great. I would normally have my seat all the way down, and all the way back.

Putting my foot flat on the floor seems to help but feels odd. Having size 15 shoe doesn't help either.

I also read about the dead pedal issue where people complain that it's needlessly large. Maybe that's part of my problem? I don't know.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone had any tips or strategies for me. Thanks.
The only tip I have is too late. A longer test drive. Some people have taken out the dead pedal. Do a search on that.
https://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/167972-interior-legroom-question.html.
I don’t know if that link will work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. But i never said I regret buying the car and I'm not sure removing the dead pedal would help but who knows. Everything feels pretty roomy enough. It feels roomier than my old '07.

It's just that the pointiest part of the door goes into the most sensitive part of the side of my knee. I'll probably just have to get used to some alternative leg positions.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'm 6'3" also with size 14 shoes. I have the same issue with my left knee and unable to rest my elbow on the window sill because the pillar sticks out too far. I just put up with it around town since it only bugs me on longer out of town trips. I've noticed by changing my footwear with thinner soles changes the angle of where my knee rest against the door. I sometimes wear slip on type shoes during out of town trips I can quickly put on/off to change my knee resting point.

I have a little less leg room in my 11 MDX compared to the 19 MDX. I loosen the dead-pedal on the 11 MDX where I could remove quickly on longer trips since it was just one plastic piece sitting on top of the carpet. Wouldn't work as well in my 19 MDX since my wife is 4'11", dead-pedal padding is under the carpet, and she uses the dead pedal.

I hope the 4th Gen MDX has adjustable pedals (gas, brake, dead-pedal).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider a cheap, thin knee pad with a velcro closure. Wear it either above or below the knee.

Yeah this crossed my mind also. I would definitely consider this for long trips. Fortunately, I'm a short trip kinda guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts