Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So this infamous multiple misfire crap has me on the verge of getting rid of the car. Car has 167k miles on it, so still "has time" and what's weird is when I cruise, I get NO misfires. My mechanic connected his "expensive" OBD interface and saw too there are absolutely no misfires when cruising.

So yeah, I did everything below and STILL have the misfire, mostly while accelerating and at idle...

Made sure the replacements were all OEM parts too, smh.

Spark plugs
Coils
PCV valve
Intake hose (had a small crack)
MAF sensor
Idle Control Valve
EGR Valve
Timing belt change with water pump, tensioner, etc.
Valve adjustment
Fuel Injectors

Also,

Cleaned EGR ports and throttle body
Did seafoam through vacuum hose and gas (separately)

Mechanic checked the pressure of the fuel pump and he said it was fine.

Misfire for cylinders 1, 2, 4, 6 is what I normally get. Even though they are all new plugs and coils, still tried changing it around, same misfire codes.

I've legit searched through this whole forum, but no luck 馃槕

Registered
So there is CEL? or just scanner shows misfires on live data?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, check engine light states those cylinders are misfiring.

But as I was driving, my mechanic used his computer to check the live data, and those four cylinders are misfiring when idling and accelerating. Perfect / no misfires when on cruise control, on flat roads. So weird man. I cant figure it out.

So there is CEL? or just scanner shows misfires on live data?

Registered
So this infamous multiple misfire crap has me on the verge of getting rid of the car. Car has 167k miles on it, so still "has time" and what's weird is when I cruise, I get NO misfires. My mechanic connected his "expensive" OBD interface and saw too there are absolutely no misfires when cruising.

So yeah, I did everything below and STILL have the misfire, mostly while accelerating and at idle...

Made sure the replacements were all OEM parts too, smh.

Spark plugs
Coils
PCV valve
Intake hose (had a small crack)
MAF sensor
Idle Control Valve
EGR Valve
Timing belt change with water pump, tensioner, etc.
Valve adjustment
Fuel Injectors

Also,

Cleaned EGR ports and throttle body
Did seafoam through vacuum hose and gas (separately)

Mechanic checked the pressure of the fuel pump and he said it was fine.

Misfire for cylinders 1, 2, 4, 6 is what I normally get. Even though they are all new plugs and coils, still tried changing it around, same misfire codes.

I've legit searched through this whole forum, but no luck
Sounds like a valves leak or bad valve seals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Have you had chance to look at cleaning throttle body overall, and then adjust throttle position sensor? Since you have tried so many things, this is logically a weak link. You need a fancy scanner to reset it though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that was the first thing I did, hoping it would correct it.

Have you had chance to look at cleaning throttle body overall, and then adjust throttle position sensor? Since you have tried so many things, this is logically a weak link. You need a fancy scanner to reset it though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Cats cats cats, check your cats, also fuel pressure. Most overlooked bad cat symptom is a misfire. O2 sensors not always trigger CEL

Reactions: Tonio

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The cats are operating fine, according to his "computer," had my mechanic check that too, after reading the blogs on here 馃槙

Cats cats cats, check your cats, also fuel pressure. Most overlooked bad cat symptom is a misfire. O2 sensors not always trigger CEL

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, had another mechanic check to be sure. Problem is, before the timing belt was changed, the misfires were already happening 馃様

Did you double your timing belt is lining up EXACTLY?

Registered
Yup, had another mechanic check to be sure. Problem is, before the timing belt was changed, the misfires were already happening
Bend valves are possible or the valves aren鈥檛 seated probably or bad valve seals.
To check all of these the head has to be removed but it would be the resort because it鈥檚 a major tear down.

Registered
Did you cleaned or replaced the EGR valve?
A partially open during idle or acceleration will cause the engine to shake or shouldered and then trigger random misfires.

Registered
The cats are operating fine, according to his "computer," had my mechanic check that too, after reading the blogs on here 馃槙
Sorry but logging not always show full the story, gave to inspect it with camera...

Registered
Maybe you have simple problem with the wire being broken or shorted somewhere. Maybe you have rodents chewed up your wirings. Check all the wirings and connectors are associated with the emission

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Yup replaced it for a new one and cleaned the ports out

Did you cleaned or replaced the EGR valve?
A partially open during idle or acceleration will cause the engine to shake or shouldered and then trigger random misfires.

Registered

You may try finding a shop that has a smoke machine. This guy is an awesome through mechanic and he figure it out on this ridgeline.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts