Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can adjust the sensitivity when closing the tailgate so it doesn’t crush anyone or thing? It exerted a fair amount of force before it stopped and went back up. A kids arm or leg would easily be hurt with the amount of pressure I observed when testing it.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I've not seen anywhere it could be adjusted but I've had mine reverse when I had something in the way before and it didn't take much pressure to make it reverse. I didn't try it with my arm or finger/toe though but I'm sure that someone could be hurt if one isn't paying attention when closing the tailgate - just like they could be when closing a door.

With kids (or anyone) around where you think they could be hit by the closing tailgate I suggest you get into a habit of never closing the tailgate with the remote or the button on the driver's door and only using the power switch on the tailgate itself. This'll place you right there to be able to be certain no one is in the way when you close it. This is how I virtually always close it anyway and I don't have people around I'm concerned about - it's just that I'm almost always right there anyway so I may as well hit that button.

If you're still concerned after all that you could try pulling the fuse for the tailgate and just open/close it manually. I don't know if this will give some permanent warning light on the dash or not but it's an option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.