Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We hit the open tailgate button on the back of the vehicle. The tailgate starts to open as expected, but when it gets to the top, it beeps like it hit an obstruction and starts to close again. We almost got caught when we were leaning in to remove stuff after we opened it.

I checked and couldn't see anything that is keeping it from opening. I think it opens fully, but for some reason it starts going down again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

This happened after I forced the tailgate to close when dropping someone off at the airport. Suitcases filled the back and after closing manually, the tailgate couldn't get to the catch so it opened back up. I stopped the opening action, then manually pushed the tailgate down and closed it after applying pressure. The next time we opened the tailgate, it displayed this behavior of getting to the top, finding something objectionable and starting to close again even though there's nothing there. So now we have to stop it from closing back down every time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I believe that it thinks you are trying to close it when you push the button.

my suggestion is only a suggestion. Hold the rear button in until it goes to the manual position. Then open the door all the way and close it. Then try opening it normally again. Mine did something similar when I stopped it to keep it from hitting the garage door Cathy opened while I was raising the tailgate. It took a few cycles to get it back to normal but it has been fine since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion. Before I go messing with it, I want to make sure I understand everything correctly.

When you say the "rear button" are you referring to the button underneath the tailgate that you push to open it when it's closed? Or the one that you push to close the tailgate when it's open?

Also what do you mean by "manual position?" Is the tailgate set to stop moving automatically and let you adjust its position when you hold down those buttons? I didn't know that.

Just want to make sure...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Acura uses the terms Tailgate outer handle to refer to the switch above the rear license plate, and they call the other switch on the inside of the tailgate the tailgate close button. Then you have the driver door tailgate switch and the remote control button. If you press the tailgate outer handle switch for more than 1 second it will beep twice and go into manual mode to open. Try the manual open and then the close button to power close. This might reset the logic.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Acura uses the terms Tailgate outer handle to refer to the switch above the rear license plate, and they call the other switch on the inside of the tailgate the tailgate close button. Then you have the driver door tailgate switch and the remote control button. If you press the tailgate outer handle switch for more than 1 second it will beep twice and go into manual mode to open. Try the manual open and then the close button to power close. This might reset the logic.

yes, hold the button under the handle and over the license until it beeps twice. Lift the door all the way up manually and close it manually, or hit the button again one time when it is all the way up to see if that resets it. If you hit the button too long, or more than once it thinks you are giving the door commands. Too long makes the tailgate go into manual. Hitting it more than one time is like sending the command open-close. If that doesn't fix it take it to the dealer to have them look at it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
There is a TSB on this. I had the same problem with my 17 . It didn't happen all the times. Mine also had times that the tailgate refused to open. Since this is non reproducible all the times, it may not be easy to convince the dealer to do anything. I was lucky to go to a different dealer and they addressed the issue. Replacing the switch parts per TSB fixed the issue.

Note that I noticed the issue usually happens after rain or when it is cold. Although it did happen a couple times when it was dry.

See if your 18 is under the same TSB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a TSB on this. I had the same problem with my 17 . It didn't happen all the times. Mine also had times that the tailgate refused to open. Since this is non reproducible all the times, it may not be easy to convince the dealer to do anything. I was lucky to go to a different dealer and they addressed the issue. Replacing the switch parts per TSB fixed the issue.

Note that I noticed the issue usually happens after rain or when it is cold. Although it did happen a couple times when it was dry.

I have a 2014 MDX that we bought in August 2013, so I think we are out of warranty on it.

I have tried the suggestions in this thread a few times and the issue is still there. I want to avoid having pay hundreds of dollars to fix an inconvenience, since we can open the trunk manually and then close it automatically, so I am still hoping I will get it to fix somehow. But if there's a broken switch or something, it will not happen.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Im guessing one of the manual switches is sticking or possibly shorted internally. Take them out of the circuit one at a time and see what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im guessing one of the manual switches is sticking or possibly shorted internally. Take them out of the circuit one at a time and see what happens.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am happy to try anything. Where would I look for these switches? Any diagrams anywhere?

If there's a sensor/switch that is telling the tailgate that there's an obstruction at the top, I would gladly take it out. We don't need that, just let it open to the top.

·
Registered
184 Posts

I have a 2014 MDX that we bought in August 2013, so I think we are out of warranty on it.

I have tried the suggestions in this thread a few times and the issue is still there. I want to avoid having pay hundreds of dollars to fix an inconvenience, since we can open the trunk manually and then close it automatically, so I am still hoping I will get it to fix somehow. But if there's a broken switch or something, it will not happen.
The TSB applies to 15 to 17 so maybe it is not the same cause as yours. However it sounds like some parts are failing and need a replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine does this same thing!! It’s like I broke the sensor when trying to close an overfill trunk one time, and now I get attacked every time I open my tailgate. Have you had any luck with fixing it?

We hit the open tailgate button on the back of the vehicle. The tailgate starts to open as expected, but when it gets to the top, it beeps like it hit an obstruction and starts to close again. We almost got caught when we were leaning in to remove stuff after we opened it.

I checked and couldn't see anything that is keeping it from opening. I think it opens fully, but for some reason it starts going down again.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

This happened after I forced the tailgate to close when dropping someone off at the airport. Suitcases filled the back and after closing manually, the tailgate couldn't get to the catch so it opened back up. I stopped the opening action, then manually pushed the tailgate down and closed it after applying pressure. The next time we opened the tailgate, it displayed this behavior of getting to the top, finding something objectionable and starting to close again even though there's nothing there. So now we have to stop it from closing back down every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts