Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 2016 w/ Tech owner. I could use some help - I checked the owner's manual and was still not clear...

Is there any way to adjust how far the tailgate will open?

I have a long Thule roof box - it is not ideal for the MDX as it is long and the factory cross bars are installed very far back. The rear shark fin antennae would not clear my roof box, except for the fact that the roof box has a groove on the underside that I can position around the antennae. Now my issue is opening the rear tallgate. I use the same box on my Audi Q5, and I can adjust the power tailgate on the Q5 to open part way so the spoiler does not hit the roof box. It appears the MDX open all or nothing. Is that right? Can you deactivate the auto tailgate to open manually? The manual indicates you should not push not the tailgate while opening, but I'm concerned I won't be able to use my roof box with this set up. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Confirmed, it does not have that feature in either the American or the Canadian ones. I do wish it was available though....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I discovered that if you hold the release button on the tailgate it will open in manual mode. That's the route I'll have to take, I guess. It stinks because then you have to remove your gear with one hand while holding the tailgate with the other hand. Didn't realize this disadvantage with the MDX when deciding between vehicles.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Which Thule box do you have? I have? I have Thile Sonic XXL but haven't tried it yet. I hope I can make it work with the MDX.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts