Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Tailgate hits garage door

11K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  MGTD 
#1 ·
What's the best solution for the problem of having the tailgate hit the open garage door when the MDX is parked nose-in in the garage?

I can imagine some solutions - don't park nose-in; don't open the tailgate when in the garage; hold the tailgate with one hand while unloading with the other; etc. But these aren't the solutions I'm looking for. I am more interested in whether someone has modified the opening pistons or hinges, or has padded the inside of the garage door.

I was thinking of taking a couple of pool noodles, slicing them length-wise like a hotdog bun (not all the way through), and putting them on the metal 'ribs' of the garage door. Then maybe the tailgate will touch the noodles and not get damaged. My fear is that the garage door might not like this type of wear and tear. Anyone with any experience or thoughts?

#2 ·
Had the same problem a few years ago with my GMC P/U. Would not fit in the garage, solution---Had a garage sale to get rid of extra junk accumulated over the years. Still a tight fit getting a full size P/U with extended cab and wife's Volvo into a so called "two" car garage. Wonder how the X is going to fit, will be in about a week?

As per your idea of padding the door I don't think that would harm the operation of door if done properly. I'd be sure to hold weigh to minimum and make sure any weight of items added is evenly balanced so that the door is not put into a bind situation. The tension springs on the door can be adjusted (with extreme care) to compensate for the slight weight added. Have someone with know how help if you have not tried the spring adjustment before.

#3 ·
I had the same concern opening the tailgate with the garage door opened. I was a little upset because with my Windstar minivan, I could open the tailgate and let it gently hit the garage door and it didnt look like it would harm the tailgate. With the MDX, it did not look as safe.

But then I tried opening the tailgate with the garage door closed, and found out that I hardly needed any clearance and was able to fully open the tailgate without it hitting anything. The MDX tailgate doesnt swing out that much beyond the end of the car, unlike my Windstar.

#4 ·
Water pipe insulators

I don't a problem with my MDX hitting our garage door, but my wifes mini-van will hit the garage door when opened. I used water pipe insulators, which are already slit and hollowed out, and mounted them on the bottom metal ridge of the door.

Our van is four years old now and there are no damage or wear marks at all on the rear door.

Hope that helps,
Dan

#5 ·
The pipe insulators are a great idea, Dan. I'll try that and let you know if it works. BTW - what did you use to mount them? I'm thinking of double-faced tape, the kind that is used to hold stuff to cars (like side molding).

#6 ·
Double-Sided Tape

I also used double-sided tape from 3m.

Good Luck,
Dan

#7 ·
The pipe insulation works great - I got two sizes in case one was either too big or too small. The smaller one works, fits on tight without tape and looks fine because it's grey like the galvanized part it covers. I had to move my electronic eyes that detect something (like a kid or a dog) getting in the way when the door closes - can't believe it was positioned the way it was! Now I have the freedom to open the tailgate without worry. I tested it by just opening it without worry and it comes to rest right against the pipe insulation. Thanks again for the idea - sure was alot easier than cutting up a pool noodle! The six foot section of pipe insulation was exactly the right length, too. No cutting at all.

#8 ·
I'm glad it worked out for you. Just a note, I first installed it without tape, and it worked fine during the summer, but during the winter it would tend to fall off.

Dan

#9 ·
I live the idea! I was using a large sponge to place between the garage door & the wiper blade. This idea is much better.

PS. Hey AcuraMDX2002, were u on the Acura-TL board? I notice you talk about your Tl-type S, I traded in a TL for the"X" & feel the same way.

#10 ·
I'll keep an eye on the pipe insulator to see if I need tape, but for now it's just fine. I had the tape out, ready to cut and apply, when all of a sudden I had an urge to clean up the MDX, not put tape on the garage door! Maybe next weekend!

Lrpba300 - I'm not on the Acura-TL board, although I do have a TL-S. I participate on a board for a non-Acura :)eek: ) product! I also have a CL and I sometime participate on the Acura-CL board, but not too often.

#13 ·
My wiper arm also hits, depending on how far I pull into the garage. I would pad the metal spline on the garage door anyway just to protect the wiper arm from scratches or other damage.

The fix is easy, costs less than $1.00, and takes no more than 1 minute to install!

#14 ·
AcuraMDX2002 said:
My wiper arm also hits, depending on how far I pull into the garage. I would pad the metal spline on the garage door anyway just to protect the wiper arm from scratches or other damage.

The fix is easy, costs less than $1.00, and takes no more than 1 minute to install!
Good idea. I have a hunk of the pipe foam hanging around anyway.

Chris

#15 ·
Re: tailgate and the garage door

I had the same problem. A cross beam on the garage door was hitting the top of my gate. So, I adjusted the automatic opener so the door rolled back a bit farther on the tracks. Thus, it went back just far enough (maybe 3-inches) the gate and wiper completely missed the metal cross beam and problem solved. Hope that helps!

#16 ·
I've considered adjusting the opener, too. I don't always park in exactly the same spot, so the adjustment would have to be radical enough for the back to open without hitting the door no matter where I park - in the mean time, the pipe insulator is working. In fact, I plan to get some more to put on my other garage doors to prevent what happened a couple of years ago with my CL - the garage door hit the rear bumper, scraped the heck out of it, and then reversed like it's designed to do! The foam would have prevented the damage entirely.

#17 ·
How about this...... My wife, who i actually bought the truck for, hit the garage door. :3: She said that she thought that the door was up. :8: The good thing was that only scratches were made that I buffed out.

#18 ·
Darcity said:
.... My wife, who i actually bought the truck for, hit the garage door. :3: She said that she thought that the door was up. :8: The good thing was that only scratches were made that I buffed out.
You are lucky. 15 years ago a friend's wife made the same mistake but she went through the door. Lots of damage to car and the garage door had to be replaced.

#19 ·
I looked at my MDX and the garage door a little better today. It appears that when the tailgate is open the windshield wiper arm hits the door itself on one of the wood frame members. Now if some weasel were to close the garage door while the mdx tailgate was open the metal opener mechanism would wreck havoc I would guess.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.