Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to replace my OEM low beams with either Sylvania Silverstars vs Philips Bluevisions. I saw Silverstars at my local AutoZone for $24.95 and Bluevisions for $12 at Big K. Since the Silverstars are more expensive, does this mean they are any better/brighter or does the price difference mean nothing? I already read through the post with the subject "Sylvania SilverStars Installed!" http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4079 but I still can't decide.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have modified 9005 Bluevisions in the lows and 9006 Bluevisions in the fogs. Highs I left stock, since they're rarely used. Im extremely happy with the light output and the white look of this setup and its a significant improvement over stock, without being too hard on the pocket. FWIW, I got Silverstars for my Passat for the lows, and I was somewhat disappointed cuz I really did not see a significant difference from stock (and they were $20 bucks each).

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the 9006 Silverstars in my low beams last weekend and I like them a lot. Have never used the Bluevisions before so I can't comment on them. The Silverstars are definitely whiter than the stock halogens - no blue hue though. It's hard to tell if I can see further with the new lights since the roads I drive on have so much outside lighting at night already, but it looks a lot cooler than the stock halogens for sure.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have 9006 silverstars in the lows and 05 bluevisions in the fogs. Honestly, the silverstars are still brighter--the pure whiteness of them is unbeatable sans HIDs. OTOH, I do like the blue tint that comes from the fogs...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Silverstar

I have changed my low beams, high beams and fog lights (I drive w/fog lights on) into the Silverstar and couldn't be happier...if you are not ready to spend $700+ on the real HID system then this Silverstar bulb is the next best thing. Much brighter and whiter than the stock bulbs.

kevin

·
Registered
80 Posts
PIAA vs SILVERSTAR

A couple of weeks ago I installed PIAA lowbeams and was happy with the output. Those replaced RAZOS which I had in just about 1 1/2 months before one burned out on me. I ordered the Silverstars to see how they compare against the Piaas and the color and brightness were very similar. Price difference was $48 for Silverstars at Autobarn.com and $53 for the Piaas at Central 4 Wheel Drive (website). Just FYI. I guess next will be HID's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also installed the Piaas 9006 for the low beam and fog lights. It made a world of difference vs. the stock bulbs. Maybe I should have tried the silverstars and save a few bucks. Oh well!:cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In your opinion which bulbs give off a bluer tint, the Silverstars or Bluevisions?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Per some of the other older posts suggesgted I took the OEM highbeams, modified them and put them in the fogs. Installed Silverstar 9005s in the high beams and Bluevision modified 9005s in the low beams. I drive with the fogs on and have never had anybody flash their lights at me.

The Silverstars do not show any blue tint when on. They are whiter then the Bluevisions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Sylvania Install

Has anyone bothered to swap out the stock (yellow) o-rings when installing the Sylvania Silverstars? Does it make any difference? One of my lows (9006) gave up the ghost after two months and I wonder if it was because of excessive vibration and/or a loose fit. By the way, the Silverstars are noticeably brighter and whiter than the stock Sylvanias, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I got the ones from Platinum Prices

Lows, Highs, and Fogs for $59.95 at www.platinumprices.net

Many people have knocked them a bit, but they are excellent as far as I can tell. For the price I don't think you can beat them. I think quite a few have tried them also on this forum.

Just another option...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tried all both 9006 and 9005 (modified) Silverstars and Bluevisions in the regular headlight spot.

First choice:
9005 Bluevision in the 9006 location. Spend the 5 minutes and twiddle/modify the 9005 to fit the 9006 housing.
Second choice:
9006 Silverstars (the 9005 are too bright). I like the white color of these lights. The only drawback is the abrupt way the light ends on the top. I believe several members made adjustments on their headlight aim to account for this.

Also, the 9005 Bluevision as Fog Lights are great too. Even though they originally housed the 9006 bulb, I didn't have to modify the 9005 bulb to fit in the fog light location.

Heck, while your at it... Just change every bulb to a 9005 Bluevision and keep K-Mart from going under.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
What is the wattage of the 9005 Bluevisions? Any downside in putting 9005s in 9006s housing?

·
Registered
63 Posts
can someone post pics w/ the blue visions on one side and oems on the other?

i tried the blue visions and it was a little whiter on my car (not an an MDX) but i wouldn't call it blue or very white at all...

here's a link to my thread:
mbworld light comparison

the razo pics are on the 3rd page

·
Registered
156 Posts
There has been a past discussion about bulb wattage. As far as I know, noones had any problems even after using those 80 watt bulbs from EBAY.

From what I recall, the factory bulbs are
9006 - 51 watts
9005 - 60 watts

The Bluevision and Silverstars are:
9006 are 55 watts
9005 are 65 watts

As far as a picture:
My digital camera is too low quality to show any difference. So let me paint a picture for you...

Though the name is bluevision, the light is not blue. The glass of the bulb itself has very-very light tint on blue but that's about it.

Colorwise, from what I remember, the silverstars are the "whitest".
Color temp:
Daylight - 4500 K
Silverstars - 4000 K
Bluevision - somewhere between stock and the silverstars
Stock - about 3200 K

·
Registered
87 Posts
SilverStar specs

According to the Sylvania web site the specs for SilverStars are:

9006: 1000 lumens / 60 watts (max) / 4000 K
9005: 1700 lumens / 70 watts (max) / 4000 K

They also specify the color temp of their Cool Blue bulbs at 3500K (may not be the same a BlueVisions) and their HID at 4100K. All compared to standard bulbs at 3200K and daylight at 5400K.

- Conrad

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Silver Stars for my lows (9006) and modified 9005 Blue Visions for my fogs. Direct side-by-side comparison shows that the SS's are "whiter" and brighter than the modified BV's. IMHO the SS would be the way to go. Of course unless you go w/ the HID conversion kit! :D Let's see... gotta look for that thread now...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone tried the Nokya 9006 Arctic White bulbs in their MDX?? My friend has the Arctic Whites in his X5, and his dad has them in his E320, and they look GOOD! I saw them from about a hundred feet away in a parking lot, and I thought they were HID.
They can be bought on Ebay for about $20\pair. They also have a Arctic Purple bulb, which I have never seen. If anyone has tried them, let me know.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts