Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2008 MDX with 105K miles a months ago. The engine runs fine and smooth with no leaking although it consumes about 1 quant of oil every 3K miles. The previous owner has been using conventional oil 5w-30 but I would like to start using synthetic to take advantage of the engine cleaning agents, additives and extra protection at startup that synthetic provides. In addition, the price difference is relatively small between conventional and synthetic.

Many people state that switching to synthetic on a high mileage engine could aggravate leaks and oil burning problems that might be otherwise go unnoticed while using conventional. The argument is that the cleaning agent in synthetic oil will clean the carbon deposit build-up already existing in the engine making existing leaks worst. They also say that the thinner oil get easier into the cylinder so they will be burn more easily.

Although I don't quite buy into that argument, I don't want to start having leaking issues after switching to synthetic.

I know this is an old and never ending discussion and has been discussed a lot of time including this forum but I want to have an opinion for my situation.

Should I stick to conventional or can I go ahead start using synthetic?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Do it..
A leak is a leak and should be fixed no matter the oil used, Using Dino Oil to cover for leaks is just Dumb. Leaks are not normal things that should be band aid. Switching to Synthetic cannot make a leak that has been let to be any worse, Just becomes more apparent that needs to be fixed.

Now do switching to Synthetic can make the Burning Oil issue in the 2G MDX any worse? That is debatable but should not steer you away from the HUGE benefits of Synthetic over Dino Oil, Starting with MPGs improvements and overall Performance.

I have been using Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 since I bought my MDX and have been changing it Year Wide with no oil burning issues, My car has 96K on the clock and has been using Full Synthetic since I bought it with 72K.

·
Registered
961 Posts
All API rated Synthetic Oils are 100% compatible with standard oils. If not there would be a bunch of lawsuits, and not many jurors see Big Oil as friends.

That said, the different qualities of the two classes of oils can give different results in areas such as consumption and leakage. When making a change it is always wise to monitor for leaks and consumption.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts